October 09, 2023
2610 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2809 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

What is the correct term for these types of games?

More
31 Mar 2009 16:54 #24863 by ubarose
I like games like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Ultra Marines and HeroQuest. The thing they have in common is that the board has narrow streets/halls with some larger buildings/rooms off of them. You have a small number of dudes, and you run around trying to complete an objective while also trying to kill all your opponent's dudes, but not get all your dudes killed. Most of the fun comes from trying to position your dude so that you can get a shot or a head butt in, but not get shot or kicked back. What makes it interesting is you have all these long spaces that are only one dude wide. So you have to decide which of your dudes are going to cover an intersection while another dude makes a run down the hall to grab something. Or who is going to go through a door first. Or how you can lure an opponent into a tight space and then trap them between two of your dudes.

I hope this makes sense.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a specific name for this type of game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2009 16:57 #24864 by Ken B.
I've always lumped them under the heading "Dungeon Crawl", even if the game isn't set in fantasy times (DOOM) nor actually taking place in a dungeon (Buffy).

Fact is, whether you're outdoors or indoors, in the past, present, or future, the games under this category basically represent 'crawling through a dungeon' in almost exactly the same way.

More
31 Mar 2009 17:02 #24865 by Bullwinkle
A turn-based tactical strategy (or combat) game. Catchy, I know, but this is generally how you refer to them in the computer gaming world.

More
31 Mar 2009 17:04 #24866 by hancock.tom
Do you lump these in with games like mordheim, necromunda, and inquisitor, which are mostly about dudes with different stats fighting each other and using urban terrain as cover? I guess those games are more tactical miniatures games, a close cousin to the dungeon crawl but a little different. A lot of the same feel (fighting with a small band of dudes using things for cover) are the meat of the game

More
31 Mar 2009 17:11 #24870 by NeonPeon
"These games of ours?"

No.

I'm tempted to say "Doom-like", even though Doom was far from the first of its kind. Maybe "tactical dungeon crawl" or "miniatures dungeon crawl" - Dungeonquest and Dungeoneer, while dungeon crawls, would not fall under this category.

More
31 Mar 2009 17:35 #24873 by metalface13
Dude games?

Necromunda is awesome by the way, but I would put it in a whole 'nother category. As it is a miniatures game you have freedom of movement and can set up your terrain however you want.

More
31 Mar 2009 18:02 #24876 by Space Ghost
Fun. These are my favorite types of games, probably. It is disappointing that Descent really doesn't include that many situations where the hall is only one person wide.

More
31 Mar 2009 18:09 #24877 by mjl1783
Not to derail the thread, but have you ever tried Dragon Strike, uba? I loved the living shit out of it as a kid, it's like all the games you mentioned but a little beefier.

But, yeah, they're all dungeon crawls to me. Actually, since HeroQuest was kinda' the first, I called them "HeroQuest games" for the longest time, like when everyone used to call FPS games "Doom clones." As a matter of fact, I'm going to start calling them "HeroQuest games" again, if only because my dad was cleaning out his closet and hooked me up with his extra copy of it for free last night. HeroQuest is awesome.

Actually, screw you guys. I'm gonna' go play with my HeroQuest dudes for a while.

More
31 Mar 2009 18:30 #24878 by Space Ghost
Here is all you need to know about DragonStrike

Here is my review of it on BGG --

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/344474

Both HeroQuest and DragonStrike are much better than Dark World, which was released afterwards; however, Dark World did have a cool castle and a scepteresque think that you shook to determine turn order.

More
31 Mar 2009 18:49 - 31 Mar 2009 18:59 #24879 by ubarose
Hmm. I feel like we are circling closer, but aren't quite there yet. Dungeon crawl is too broad. It's more like I'm trying to describe one piece of what makes up dungeon crawls, but you can also find it in games that aren't dungeon crawls, like for example "Cowboys: Way of the Gun."

I don't like using a term that refers to a specific game as it isn't helpful and communicates nothing to someone who hasn't played that game.

Turn-based tactical combat game is close. It allows me to say, "I like the turn-based tactical combat of Decent, but the whole teleport to town to go shopping bit is crap."

However, turn-based tactical combat doesn't fully communicate "fighting with a small band of dudes using things for cover" in tight spaces. Couldn't it also apply to fighting with an army on an open field?

Could I say something like "tactical corridor combat?"

Another thought. Maybe "skirmish" is more accurate than "combat." Like people sometimes use skirmish to describe paintball.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2009 18:59 by ubarose.

More
31 Mar 2009 18:59 #24884 by Mr MOTO
I'd call them games that are fun. :) Or... Traditional dungeon crawls.

More
31 Mar 2009 19:24 #24887 by Bullwinkle
ubarose wrote:

However, turn-based tactical combat doesn't fully communicate "fighting with a small band of dudes using things for cover" in tight spaces. Couldn't it also apply to fighting with an army on an open field?

Could I say something like "tactical corridor combat?"

Another thought. Maybe "skirmish" is more accurate than "combat." Like people sometimes use skirmish to describe paintball.

How about 'man-to-man tactical corridor/dungeon/tower/whatever combat'? The 'man-to-man' clearly indicates the level of detail, distinguishing it from your examples. You could also use 'squad-level' instead of 'man-to-man', but that might be less clear to those who wouldn't automatically know what that implies.

'Skirmish' could work in place of combat.

More
31 Mar 2009 19:38 #24888 by ubarose
Man-to-man tactical corridor skirmish! That just sounds so cool.

I like man-to-man tactical corridor skirmish games, especially ones with squads, variable player powers and no shopping. How about you?

Totally sounds like I know what I am talking about, doesn't it?

More
31 Mar 2009 19:45 - 31 Mar 2009 19:46 #24890 by Bullwinkle
Awesome. We have worked out a term both completely descriptive and utterly cool.

In the computer world, you'd need to distinguish turn-based from real-time, but it's probably not necessary here.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2009 19:46 by Bullwinkle.

More
31 Mar 2009 19:46 #24891 by moofrank
I've actually seen the term "Skirmish game" to describe games that focus more on small group combat. It is the term I've most seen applied to Mordheim.

Heroquest, however, is definitely a Dungeon Crawl. Practically, the very definition.
Buffy might be different.

The difference is perhaps whether or not there are:
1. Figures that appear suddenly on the map.
2. Whether the rooms themselves matter. Descriptions, traps, etc.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds