October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

“Board Games Aren’t Just for Geeks Anymore”...

More
20 Feb 2019 08:28 #292700 by Legomancer

Vysetron wrote:

Legomancer wrote: It was fine. About what I expected. Nerds celebrating nerdery is always pretty embarrassing.

It of course does the weird thing that nerds do where they assume that people who aren't into the things they're into aren't into anything. Like, how can someone claim they enjoy a TV show or a hobby unless they have t shirts and action figures and do quotes and discuss online and so forth. Geeks seem to think that people who aren't geeks just sit motionless on the sofa until it's time to sleep.

Don't forget the arcane acts of THE SPORTSBALL.

Ah yes, the sportsball. And I should also point out that non-geeks don't sit motionless, they take selfies and watch Kardashians. Apparently Kardashians are the only option if you don't want to be a nerd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2019 08:48 #292703 by Jexik

Legomancer wrote: Ah yes, the sportsball. And I should also point out that non-geeks don't sit motionless, they take selfies and watch Kardashians. Apparently Kardashians are the only option if you don't want to be a nerd.

Drinking wine or microbrews is also acceptable. See also: going out, partying.

More
20 Feb 2019 09:42 #292712 by Shellhead
I'm not going to watch the video. It sounds like a misguided mixture of navel-gazing and gatekeeping. However, it sounds like they have missed a larger and more interesting point, which is that geek has gone relatively mainstream since the internet became accessible to the masses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, RobertB, Jackwraith

More
20 Feb 2019 09:56 #292713 by JonathanVolk
If you're referencing "This Is America", maybe move your one token person of color closer to the center of the frame?

And where does he go for the final chorus line? To hold the camera?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
20 Feb 2019 10:40 #292720 by jeb

JonathanVolk wrote: If you're referencing "This Is America", maybe move your one token person of color closer to the center of the frame?

I am so afraid that this is what he is doing that I haven't watched the video. The reflected glory is sufficient.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
20 Feb 2019 10:47 #292722 by cdennett
Clearly the video is fan-service to other board gamers and is intended to make them feel better about themselves, not as a welcome video to non-gamers. "Look, this geeky hobby of ours is more mainstream then you think!"

As for the lack of "color" in the video, clearly he's making this with his real-life friends. If he was "casting" the video I would fault him more for that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Frohike, Toenail21

More
20 Feb 2019 10:47 - 22 Feb 2019 16:21 #292723 by ChristopherMD
Edited to not be 100% a dick.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2019 16:21 by ChristopherMD.

More
20 Feb 2019 10:59 #292725 by charlest
Jon Purkis (Actualol), is a very good dude.

I don't disagree with Michael's observations, but c'mon. This place is outrageous.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron, Toenail21

More
20 Feb 2019 11:17 #292727 by Vysetron
Seriously, this is insane. Imagine actually getting this mad at a goofy show tune. Holy shit.

More
20 Feb 2019 11:21 - 20 Feb 2019 11:22 #292728 by ubarose
charlest makes a good point. Jon Purkis is a real person. I remember once, I was totally being snarky about Andrew Parks, and he showed up here, and was so sweet and gracious. I was so mortified that as penance I have had to purchase every game he has designed since then.
Last edit: 20 Feb 2019 11:22 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, san il defanso, Jexik, hotseatgames, Frohike, charlest, Vysetron, Toenail21

More
20 Feb 2019 14:13 - 20 Feb 2019 14:14 #292750 by Sagrilarus
Just seemed like the Monopoly joke wasn't as funny as some of the others. All of them are standard tropes. He stayed on remarkably solid ground, which is probably wise to appeal to a bigger audience.

Struck me as specifically aimed at hobby gamers that could enjoy some support that maybe they're not as goofy as they perceive themselves to be.

The "chit boardgamers say" video is in the same vein, but is a little more self-depracating. Oddly enough, it opts to defend Monopoly in the standard play-by-the-rules gamer argument.
Last edit: 20 Feb 2019 14:14 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, BillyBobThwarton

More
20 Feb 2019 15:03 #292762 by ChristopherMD

charlest wrote: Jon Purkis (Actualol), is a very good dude.

Probably is an otherwise decent person. I wouldn't know as I don't watch whatever he's famous for. Can only judge what I've seen, which is a song/video that came across as very anti-anyone in the hobby more than a few years.

More
20 Feb 2019 15:11 #292764 by charlest

ChristopherMD wrote:

charlest wrote: Jon Purkis (Actualol), is a very good dude.

Probably is an otherwise decent person. I wouldn't know as I don't watch whatever he's famous for. Can only judge what I've seen, which is a song/video that came across as very anti-anyone in the hobby more than a few years.

The anti-monopoly thing is tone deaf, for sure. But I don't think what you're inferring is the attention at all. Stuff like placing the copy of Codenames on the bored couple's table doesn't display that attitude for instance.

Look at the games he's highlighting. If he intended what you are saying he'd have heavier, more niche titles out of the mainstream.

More
20 Feb 2019 15:39 - 20 Feb 2019 15:53 #292769 by Frohike
I understand the pleas to tone down the invectives a bit but I would also ask the “geez lighten the f up” people to understand where some of this is coming from.

I’m pretty sure a large part of the readership here doesn’t check their YouTube feed on a daily basis for the latest “Take Your Chits” video, or whatever, but are pretty aware of the general slant of YouTuber culture as it intersects with board gaming. And a good number of us are actually aware of it enough to willfully unsubscribe from it. This is a writing-centric site, after all, and it attracts a certain kind of skepticism toward the “product endorsement wrapped in sketch comedy” genre that has come to dominate most YouTube content for board gaming.

Imagine adapting this video into a written pastiche from different contributors. A couple of things would happen. The kind of analysis & picking apart of the messaging that makes it “work” (or not, as the case may be) would look a lot like what we’re seeing here. And if we did successfully reverse engineer it into a written sketch it would come off as the most off-color and simultaneously cynical & naive piece of writing this site had published.

So there you have it. I understand the humor and the lightheartedness of the video’s intent, but to me there’s a gross heaviness to it’s assumptions that just makes it frustrating to watch, partly because it’s an already over-represented funhouse mirror. It’s facile in a sad way that makes me think “is this really what we think of ourselves?”
Last edit: 20 Feb 2019 15:53 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jur, Shellhead, Erik Twice, BillyBobThwarton

More
20 Feb 2019 15:50 #292771 by ubarose
I think there is some kind of shift going on in board game/geek culture and we are in transition. I think this video and our reactions to it reflect that.

Also, over the past several days I've noticed a flurry of discussion on "gatekeeping" in my social media feeds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.631 seconds