October 09, 2023
2846 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2990 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Twilight Struggle sold out again

More
16 Feb 2009 02:45 #21305 by Dogmatix
Per GMT:

Twilight Struggle Sold Out
For the third time in a little over three years, we are Sold Out of Twilight Struggle. We are pleased that so many players are enjoying this game and we thank all of you who have bought, played, and spread the good word about it. As is our normal practice, we will continue to maintain and update the webpages for this and other out of stock games as we get new modules, errata, living rules, and articles for the games.

Because it is one of our best selling games and we continue to see rather heavy demand for it, we do intend to reprint Twilight Struggle, most likely in a mounted board format (with an update kit available for previous owners of the game). We are working with the design, art, and production teams on this now, and will have a detailed announcement sometime this spring.

When GMT started to introduce mounted boards, I was shocked that Paths of Glory, which always seemed to cater to the paper map crowd anyway, was on the P500 before a Twilight Struggle map. Apparently, they'll be upgrading with the new printing...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2009 02:56 #21306 by Gary Sax
A solid move with the mounted board. I know people bitch, but I don't think normal grogs mind paper map (I don't) but it's just smart business to put in a mounted board once you know you have a crossover hit on your hands.

More
16 Feb 2009 04:12 #21307 by Matt Thrower
Gary Sax wrote:

A solid move with the mounted board. I know people bitch, but I don't think normal grogs mind paper map (I don't) but it's just smart business to put in a mounted board once you know you have a crossover hit on your hands.

I would have thought that was pretty fucking obvious one, maybe even two editions ago. Even if it wasn't, you might have thought that the legions of fans asking for a copy with a mounted board might have given the game away before now.

Or maybe I'm just sore because I'm going to have to shell out for an "upgrade kit" now, which will undoubtedly only ship from the fucking US, incurring me about $50 of postage and £50 of import tax on a $10 item.

More
16 Feb 2009 09:05 #21317 by hancock.tom
When playing in my own home I'll always prefer the look and feel of paper under plexiglass, but its definitely a smart business move to do the mounted board. It will appeal to the eurogamers and make the game more portable.

More
16 Feb 2009 09:17 #21321 by mikoyan
hancock.tom wrote:

When playing in my own home I'll always prefer the look and feel of paper under plexiglass, but its definitely a smart business move to do the mounted board. It will appeal to the eurogamers and make the game more portable.

Fuck the Eurogamers.

More
16 Feb 2009 09:34 #21322 by hancock.tom
Well a mounted board probably appeals to most AT fans too. Basically the only people that don't care are those of us who already own plexiglass for wargames.

I wonder if this will change the price point? I hope the upgrade kit is under $10. I can't think what they would upgrade other than the map.

More
16 Feb 2009 10:12 #21328 by ratpfink
Jason Matthews was asking about new card ideas on TOS. I'm assuming then that any upgrade kit will include the mounted board and either an entire set of replacement cards or just the new ones. Or maybe the cards will just be a C3i thing.

More
16 Feb 2009 10:28 #21332 by hancock.tom
Even if its a c3i "exclusive" GMT will end up selling them once the c3is run out. They've done that before.

More
16 Feb 2009 11:00 #21336 by Space Ghost
I am too lazy to use plexiglass -- and I don't really care about the mounted board. I just wish it was more of a paper board. The pseudo-cardboard it is made out of makes it a pain in the ass to lay flat......more papery would have solved this.

More
16 Feb 2009 11:04 #21337 by Matt Thrower
Space Ghost wrote:

I am too lazy to use plexiglass -- and I don't really care about the mounted board. I just wish it was more of a paper board. The pseudo-cardboard it is made out of makes it a pain in the ass to lay flat......more papery would have solved this.

I feel like that about those semi-mounted boards as well. They're an in-between solution that pleases neither those who like mounted nor those who like unmounted. I'd rather they just used paper and shaved a bit off the price.

More
16 Feb 2009 11:08 #21338 by bfkiller
Awesome. I've held out on this one in the past hoping it would get a sturdier board. No reason to hold off now.

More
16 Feb 2009 11:22 #21341 by Ken B.
I will buy the new mounted board for sure

More
16 Feb 2009 11:46 #21345 by Bulwyf
I'm glad this title is doing well for GMT. Anything that helps them pay the bills is OK in my book. Personally I can't stand it. Every time I played TS I found the game to be irritating as fuck.

-Will

More
16 Feb 2009 11:49 - 16 Feb 2009 11:50 #21347 by Matt Thrower
Bulwyf wrote:

I'm glad this title is doing well for GMT. Anything that helps them pay the bills is OK in my book. Personally I can't stand it. Every time I played TS I found the game to be irritating as fuck.

Oh my. You find fucking to be irritating? You have my sympathies, sir.

Mind you, it probably explains why you're odd enough to dislike this most excellent of games.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2009 11:50 by Matt Thrower.

More
16 Feb 2009 12:38 #21353 by JoelCFC25
Cool news. This takes a big arrow out of Imperious Leader's quiver. He's still a fuckwit, though.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds