October 09, 2023
2845 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2989 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

You know, I'll give this to Richard Berg...

More
18 Nov 2008 19:53 #14119 by Gary Sax
...he does use his powers of automatic preordering as a venerable old designer for good, even after so many years in the business.

He may be a dick and I don't personally like him very much, but he knows that he can get preorders for a lot of different topics and games and uses that to his advantage to get interesting games out. I haven't tried many of his games but I can't say he's my favorite designer. So he is a primary designer (the?) on the Great Battles of American Civil War System or whatever. He could start to revisit those games in reprints with almost no effort. "Let's see what minor ACW battle we can do next" or "I better update my Gettysburg game for the 3rd time!" Instead what does he do? He goes to the Mexican American War with the system w/Gringo and its expansion. NOW he goes even farther afield to something *really* unusual--"Lions of Punjab" using a new "Simple" version of the rules about Indian Sikh wars and British! That's pretty awesome. What other designer could pull that subject off and get it published? Berg knows he can and uses that leeway to do interesting things instead of just totally laying back and doing nothing for all his new games.

What else is Berg working on? For one, he's designing a mass market game with the Godzilla license. That's pretty awesome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2008 23:11 #14123 by Count Orlok
I don't care what most people say, but Berg is my favorite designer. He often gets lost in chrome, but I feel like it's worth it 9/10 times.

He's also rather gutsy; releasing games with interesting and unique themes instead of another repackaged east-front or bulge game.

More
18 Nov 2008 23:40 #14125 by Michael Barnes
Err...I've seen the rules (at least an early version) to that GODZILLA game. At the stage I saw them (when I decided that I didn't want to playtest it after all), it struck me that Mr. Berg may know all there is to know about Punjabi infantry, but he doesn't know a damn thing about Kaiju. It was really, really bad. Maybe it'll turn out OK, but putting the license in his hands may have been a bad choice- the game wasn't accessible or appealing to G-Fans who aren't already war gamers at all.

Berg is very hit or miss...I think his concept of what is fun in a game is pretty idiosyncratic and I've often thought that he designs games specifically with the knowledge that very few people will actually play them, and very few times at that.

But he's done some great work. I think MEN OF IRON is vastly underrated. CONQUISTADOR is really cool. GBoH is an awesome concept, it's just not playable as a game unless you just totally commit to it. But he's done plenty of garbage too- that BLACKBEARD reprint was one of the worst games of the year. And oh, dear god, MEDIEVAL.

Regardless, I have a lot of respect for him. He'll tackle any subject and he's not afraid to experiment. And he doesn't give a shit what people on the internet are saying. That's awesome.

More
19 Nov 2008 03:34 #14134 by schlupp
Don't know whether Berg is a nice guy or not. You probably have to be a wargamer to know the history? He had a bout with that imperious leader guy on BGG recently, which was rather entertaining. :)

Anyway, I'm also looking forward to the Godzilla game. When you see the questions he is asking in the threads, you can see he has no clue about the topic, but I'm sure he will read a lot about it in the meantime and the playtesters, which will include a lot of die-hard fans, will hopefully point him in the right direction.

And speaking of cool themes: I'm anxiously awaiting news on The Wild West: The Range Wars of 19th Century America . Another brilliant topic for a game!

More
19 Nov 2008 03:51 - 19 Nov 2008 03:52 #14136 by Harkonnen13
There's no doubt Berg's prolific. He can take a set of rules he wrote years ago (Men of Iron) and tweak them for battles hundreds of years later (Flintlock) and have it work. Of course the rules might have similarities to other games (GBoH). I've been playing Men of Iron regularly (just started playing GBoH) and a friend of mine has the Infidel playtest kit, we'll be doing Men of Iron in the Crusades soon. Lions of Punjab might be worth checking out. I bought Gringo not too long ago and I'm looking forward to gaming the Mexican War. Preordered the expansion.

Berg has a game called Blood&Sand on GMTs P500, WWII North Africa in 4 hours, I've ordered it. MMP will be releasing Crucible of Courage, an ACW tactical-level game, another one I have on preorder. I will probably play Godzilla when it's out because Godzilla is cool.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2008 03:52 by Harkonnen13.

More
19 Nov 2008 15:37 #14177 by TheDukester
Michael Barnes wrote:

Regardless, I have a lot of respect for him. He'll tackle any subject and he's not afraid to experiment. And he doesn't give a shit what people on the internet are saying. That's awesome.

And before that, he had a long career in not caring in the letters pages of the various gaming magazines. You know, back when there were magazines. And when people wrote letters.

More
21 Nov 2008 06:56 #14235 by sydo
I own two Berg's games: Pax Romana and Gondor. Pax is among the greatest games I have ever played and I strongly recommend it. I can't tell how great Gondor is today but when I used to play it with my friend when we were 13 (11 years ago) we always had a blast. There is a lot of "chrome" in his games but for me it helps the theme. Try Pax, GMT has it's second edition on preorder.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds