October 09, 2023
2628 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2820 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Anyone playedTalisman: The Dungeon yet?

More
20 May 2009 13:35 #29801 by Ken B.
Southernman wrote:

My name is Tom and I've never played Talisman.

That was me a few months ago. Then I played it with my kid and he LOVED it. What a godsend.

Some games you get an assload of crazy, sometimes not. It's the crazy stuff that makes it worthwhile.

I still need to get off my ass and order The Reaper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2009 13:41 #29806 by Stephen Avery
1/2 the deck in talisman is events/gear followers. I don't remember all the specifics but:

I was the warrior. right off the bat I went to the inner realm via the inn. Then hit the 3 card space which was all beneficial. I think it was gold , well of wisdom and runesword. I tended to stay on the side near the gaurdian of the gate because I didn't have the water bottle. A couple of moves later I got to the wizard who gave me a talisman for my gold. to get to the sorcerer and only needed to give him some gold. I got booted out of the mines once then duked it out with Frank (who had hauled ass to get up there.) I ironically, despite my run of luck throughout the game he beat me out in the final space. Nonetheless it was a very fast game.

Steve"Talismonger"Avery

More
20 May 2009 13:53 #29813 by southernman
Ken B. wrote:

Southernman wrote:

That was me a few months ago. Then I played it with my kid and he LOVED it. What a godsend.

Some games you get an assload of crazy, sometimes not. It's the crazy stuff that makes it worthwhile.

I still need to get off my ass and order The Reaper.

One of the minis guys at the club has a 4th edition which he has never got to the table, so I have volunteered to fill one of the seats.

More
20 May 2009 14:31 #29838 by metalface13
How much fun is Talisman with 2 players? It sound like it'd be more fun with 3-5, or would that just drag out the play time?

More
20 May 2009 14:34 #29840 by Aarontu
metalface13 wrote:

How much fun is Talisman with 2 players? It sound like it'd be more fun with 3-5, or would that just drag out the play time?

It's better with more than 2, but it's still great with 2.

More
20 May 2009 17:59 #29910 by mjl1783
Oh man, you guys should have seen our 3 player game the other night. I was the Dwarf, which I've drawn the last three games in a row, my dad was the Sage, and our friend Derk was a revolving cast of characters because he kept dying the whole time.

Anyway, the sage and I are in the middle region, I've got 6 strength and 4 craft. He's got 9 of each. He goes through the Portal of Power, so on my next turn I decide to haul ass over there. I make it to the Plain of Peril, he remembers that he forgot his Talisman. I decide I'm going to make a go of it anyway, I move to the mines and hope for the best, at least I only need to roll two dice. I get a 5 and a 1, re-roll the 5 and get a 2. Sweet, I'm gonna' make it!

Sage dashes over and gets a Talisman from the Warlock and heads back to the PoP. I breeze through the rest of the inner region. I make it to the CoC with 2 lives, Sage is on the Plain of Peril with four lives. Derk is in the dungeon, and probably on his 7th character by this point. I make my roll for the command spell for the next two turns, I miss on the third. Damn! Sage is right outside the CoC space with 2 lives, I play a spell and move him backwards, he plays a spell and I miss my next turn. He makes it into the CoC with 1 life, plays a spell which lets him combine strength and craft. I'm down to one life. It was an even strength combat on my turn, and I roll a six! Sage dies, I'VE GOT THE GAME!!!!

Now, we usually just pack it in when someone's on the CoC and nobody else is left in the middle region, but not Derk. That kid will play that game to the bitter end every friggin' time, no matter how hopeless it is. I start picking up the game, and he goes "Hey, I'm still in this." "Why?" I ask, "There's no way you're going to make it, you've only got two lives." He says he wants to keep going, though, so we do. The first turn goes as expected; he gets a bag of gold, and I take one of his lives. The second turn, he buys a spell from the Sorcerer, I make my command spell roll.

"That's it, you're dead" Says I.
"No, you're dead" says he.

He fucking drew that reversal spell on his last turn, reflected my command spell, killed me, and won the fucking game. I picked up the card and read it, and all I could say was "That's... awesome."

More
20 May 2009 18:58 #29915 by Bullwinkle
Aarontu wrote:

I don't like it with two players, unless you're playing two characters each. I certainly wouldn't choose it, given the option.

More
20 May 2009 19:34 #29924 by Michael Barnes

Hazlett, I need to see you in my office when you get a chance.

More
20 May 2009 22:35 #29942 by ozjesting
2 player is more race like due to few chances to really club someone down. 2p though is my main way to play with my 7 year old son. He has no problems getting cut up by cards but still hasn't toughned up enough when Daddy whacks him ;) Of course he will bring the pysic attack with his evil wizard every chance he gets ;)

And since Aaron has already given it up, and Uba loves a story, here is how I finally beat that evil wizard of 7 for the first time in like 20 games!

The Staff aaron mentions is mine and is indeed holding a Dragon! I ALSO have the Dominate spell which has captured Cerebus! So I am like +14 in creature attack before I add in my ST5 plus weapon! I crushed the LoD and went straight to CoC. Usually the Kid Wiz has a book of spells, but with so many new ones he is a bit lost on how they all work. (He has the original set down pat...but new ones are a bit daunting) So he has no spell to cast....and as he tries to hurry to the middle, it seems I can't miss a command spell roll! (ask Tom about that) ;)

KaPow! The game is mine!

Since this magic moment I am 0-4. He is a quick study my boy, and with fates aid, he seems to always be on my tail smashing me and my stuff up ;)

More
21 May 2009 01:10 #29977 by MattFantastic
mjl1783 wrote:

He fucking drew that reversal spell on his last turn, reflected my command spell, killed me, and won the fucking game. I picked up the card and read it, and all I could say was "That's... awesome."

That same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. I was so pissed/in awe. What a great game.

More
21 May 2009 07:40 - 21 May 2009 07:44 #29985 by Aarontu
ozjesting wrote:

2 player is more race like due to few chances to really club someone down. 2p though is my main way to play with my 7 year old son. He has no problems getting cut up by cards but still hasn't toughned up enough when Daddy whacks him ;) Of course he will bring the pysic attack with his evil wizard every chance he gets ;)

And since Aaron has already given it up, and Uba loves a story, here is how I finally beat that evil wizard of 7 for the first time in like 20 games!

The Staff aaron mentions is mine and is indeed holding a Dragon! I ALSO have the Dominate spell which has captured Cerebus! So I am like +14 in creature attack before I add in my ST5 plus weapon! I crushed the LoD and went straight to CoC. Usually the Kid Wiz has a book of spells, but with so many new ones he is a bit lost on how they all work. (He has the original set down pat...but new ones are a bit daunting) So he has no spell to cast....and as he tries to hurry to the middle, it seems I can't miss a command spell roll! (ask Tom about that) ;)

KaPow! The game is mine!

Since this magic moment I am 0-4. He is a quick study my boy, and with fates aid, he seems to always be on my tail smashing me and my stuff up ;)

That's awesome. Getting to the Crown with 5 strength; that's what the Lord of Darkness route is for!

Bullwinkle wrote:

Aarontu wrote:

I don't like it with two players, unless you're playing two characters each. I certainly wouldn't choose it, given the option.

It's definitley more of a race than a mass beatdown with 2 players, but I like it.
Last edit: 21 May 2009 07:44 by Aarontu.

More
22 Jun 2009 08:58 #32627 by Aarontu
So, I finally got the Dungeon, and I tried out the "just the Dungeon" variant way to play last night. Not sure if the designers were serious when they added this variant to the rulebook. It reminded me of DungeonQuest, only Talisman-style. I started with the gladiator and didn't survive the second floor of the dungeon. Then I respawned with the Amazon and was quickly killed again. The Dungeon is brutal! I decided that if anyone could make it though the dungeon alive, it was the troll, so I respawned as the troll and got really lucky, picking up that shield that protects you in pshycic combat and the cloak that adds 1 to armor saves, so all the craft things didn't immediatley kill me. I got lucky some more and picked up the tunnel fighter (+3 strength in dungeon combats) and elixir of rage (+3 strength for 1 turn), and went and defeated the Lord of Darkness.

I like the option to play with just the dungeon, but it seems like most characters would just die repeatedly and you'd have to just keep dying until you got a character good enough and got lucky enough to make it (not that there's anything wrong with that). I haven't tried out crafty characters though; maybe they'll fare a bit better.

Anyway, I am thinking of making a few extra spaces to add on to the dungeon board so it can be played stand-alone, and so that some other characters will have opportunities to use their abilities.

Maybe 4 spaces, like this:

RUINS - The dungeon enterance is under the ruins of an ancient temple. If you are good, you may heal 2 lives. If you are evil, you may replenish 2 fate. OR you can pray: 1-4=ignored, 5=+1 fate, 6=+1 life.

CRAGS - just like the crags space on the main board. If you fail to defeat the LoD, you exit to this space.

VILLAGE (with TAVERN) - just like the village space on the main board. There's nowhere to spend gold or heal lives in the dungeon. I will replace the mystic with the tavern, but with some slightly different results instead of teleporting/river crossing.

HIGHWAY - denizens of the dungeon are wandering around near the highway, draw 1 dungeon card. This is the start space for characters whose start space isn't the village, tavern, or craggs.

Just a thought; if anyone else has any ideas feel free to share. I thought it would be nice to give characters with abilities related to praying, the village, the tavern, or the craggs some chance to use them. I may make a sketched version of it and try it out sometime. I'd also like to house rule trap doors so that instead of sending you back to the enterance, you drop to the space directly below your current space (unless you're on the bottom "floor", then you go back to the enterance).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds