October 09, 2023
2614 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2810 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

LNoE: Survival of the Fittest

More
26 Apr 2009 21:32 #27018 by DeletedUser
Stumbled onto this page this morning...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/42116

Couldn't see anything about it on the Flying Frog site.

I've become a bit of a LNoE junkie, so this will be on my expansion hitlist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2009 22:04 #27019 by Hex Sinister
Maybe this will add that extra something that I need to enjoy LNoE. I had fun the first 6 games but after that it got a little boring. Sit in building. Draw card. Sit in building. Draw card. Run to other building. Draw card. Fight zombie. Run, heal, draw card. The game needs another level of depth or something. Maybe I'm spoiled by the encounter decks in Arkham? I love board and PC games where you are just trying to survive or escape like Doom, Descent, etc so I'm still trying to figure out what it is about this game that fails to hook me. I want to like it and have definately tried to... Trust me, I love shooting jombies in the head.

Did Growing Hunger add any new elements to the game? I never bought it because the contents seemed meager for the price. (Thanks for spoiling me FFG.)I'm at the point where I'm trying to decide to try and "save" it with an expansion or just try and math trade it off if that ever happens around here again.

More
26 Apr 2009 23:25 - 26 Apr 2009 23:26 #27023 by DeletedUser
I don't have the Growing Hunger expansion yet. I'm still enjoying the base game. But seeing the release of another expansion has made me think about getting Growing Hunger sooner rather than later.

Neither have I played Arkham Horror yet (clings tightly to F:At card), so perhaps I haven't been spoiled in the way you mentioned Hex Sinister.

The games of LNoE I have played have been a whole lot of fun with my group. It seems to play better with a group of five or six, at times resembling a tactical minis game and at other times, an RPG-lite. Yeah, the mechanics are simple and repetitive, but many games fall into this category.

Picking the right scenario is important. The basic scenario - Kill'em All - is not much fun and I skip this one now, even with introducing the game to new players. The last scenario we played was Escape in the Truck and the game went down to the wire with lots of yelling, cursing and eventually the sound of heroes being eaten. There was a lot of tension that built up over the course of that game and that made the game for me. I have yet to play the Manor House scenario, but it looks like fun too.

Perhaps I will play this game to the point of boredom, but I'm not there yet.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2009 23:26 by DeletedUser. Reason: Internet Retard

More
27 Apr 2009 03:52 #27027 by dragonstout
The Growing Hunger scenarios are the best, if not the simplest, scenarios yet (though I admit there are a few scenarios, such as the Revenge of the Dead, that I haven't played yet). Growing Hunger is worth it for the scenarios most of all, followed by the characters, boards, and crazy new weapons.

But I'm such a fanboy that I even bought the special edition soundtrack, so you can discount anything I say.

More
27 Apr 2009 07:17 #27032 by Notahandle
LNoE: Survival of the Fittest
There's more. I've also read that there'll be a Hero Pack and a third expansion out this year.
And next year? Martians, baby!

Hex Sinister wrote:
"Maybe this will add that extra something that I need to enjoy LNoE. I had fun the first 6 games but after that it got a little boring. Sit in building. Draw card. Sit in building. Draw card. Run to other building. Draw card. Fight zombie. Run, heal, draw card."
All games sound tedious if you describe the mechanics like that.

"The game needs another level of depth or something."
It's called trash talk.

"I love board and PC games where you are just trying to survive or escape..."
Have you bought Left4dead and joined the F:AT steam group?

"Did Growing Hunger add any new elements to the game?"
Yes.

More
27 Apr 2009 09:20 #27040 by ChristopherMD
I like the game and I have Growing Hunger, but I don't feel the need to ever buy another expansion for it. Unless they release a scenario book which was alluded to many times as being the next expansion before this. There's plenty of variety already with just the base game and GH. I like it for the beer&pretzels lightness so adding new card types or trying to make the game deeper with tacked on mechanics won't be my preference.

More
27 Apr 2009 12:50 #27095 by Notahandle
If it follows the Growing Hunger pattern then the decks will be mix and match, use what you like, ignore the rest.

More
28 Apr 2009 15:20 #27205 by Hex Sinister
Notahandle wrote:

All games sound tedious if you describe the mechanics like that.

Fair enough. I suppose the game just doesn't give the illusion that there is more going on than that. I haven't wrote this game off yet.

Have you bought Left4dead and joined the F:AT steam group?

That sounds like a lot of fun but my pc gaming prospects are pretty hosed for the foreseeable future :(

More
01 May 2009 13:57 #27567 by Notahandle
The other two LNOE releases for this year:-
Seven Zombie sculpts with Grave Weapons (from the Survival of the Fittest deck), in two colours, i.e. fourteen more figures.
Hero Pack with four new Heroes and some cards.

More
01 May 2009 13:59 #27568 by Ken B.
Notahandle wrote:

The other two LNOE releases for this year:-
Seven Zombie sculpts with Grave Weapons (from the Survival of the Fittest deck), in two colours, i.e. fourteen more figures.
Hero Pack with four new Heroes and some cards.

That all sounds really cool.

Despite its Trashdome thrashin', I'm also looking forward to see how they expand A Touch of Evil.

More
01 May 2009 14:04 #27571 by ChristopherMD
Ken B. wrote:

Despite its Trashdome thrashin', I'm also looking forward to see how they expand A Touch of Evil.

Despite its Trashdome thrashin, I'm still looking forward to playing A Touch Of Evil someday.

More
01 May 2009 16:43 #27591 by ChristopherMD
Grave Weapons

Zombies carrying weapons? Why? Zombies ARE weapons.

More
01 May 2009 17:02 #27599 by metalface13
Mad Dog wrote:

Grave Weapons

Yeah, I don't get that.

More
01 May 2009 18:38 #27613 by Notahandle
The base game has Zombie Heroes which are tougher than the normal ones. So maybe they thought to take that idea one step further and have some Zombies that are more intelligent?

More
01 May 2009 18:42 #27615 by mjl1783

Yeah, I don't get that.

Perhaps I can help you gentlemen. The reason for this is because LNoE is FUCK-ING STU-PID.

There you go.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.494 seconds