October 09, 2023
2691 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2857 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What PURCHASES are you RESISTING?

More
21 Feb 2022 01:56 #330952 by KingPut
Fangs is reprint of Shadow Hunters. Fangs . It's in a small box (no board) and it's only $14 on Amazon. The cards are more readable then Shadow Hunters but Shadow Hunter had the unique artwork and theme. My family played so much Shadow Hunter that both me and my daughter own a copy. 4 different guys in my game group or Mallocs Maryland Wednesday game group just bought Fangs so I think I'll hold off on Fangs. But if you don't own Shadow Hunters, you should pick up Fangs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Cranberries, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2022 12:52 - 21 Feb 2022 12:52 #330962 by n815e
When I was in high school, I picked up a game called Ogre Deluxe that I just had the absolute best time with. It was fun, it was easy to pick up, there were genuine tactical considerations to be made.
Like most of my board games, when I left for college, my brother got a hold of it and trashed it.

About 10 years later I picked up a copy of Ogre miniatures. At the time my friends and I were mostly playing 40k and I thought it would be great to revisit this game. Nobody else wanted to try it and eventually I sold it off.

Then about 5 years ago I was offered a great trade for a used copy of ODE. I knew it was huge and I thought that would be okay, but when it arrived it really struck me as being just ridiculous. Not only is it just way too big and heavy, it’s filled with loads of redundancy that will never see use or things that are just really unnecessary. I mean, who needs approximately 70 cardboard Ogre models? So I sold it.

But lately I’m feeling nostalgic over the game again. I want to revisit it. As far as I can tell, the 6th edition is a poorly conceived set of products that are half out of production, never to be printed again and not really offering what it should have.
I think Designers Edition is the only way to get a complete Ogre/GEV set.

The pull is strong, but I’m resisting so far because that package is so… silly… for what it offers.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2022 12:52 by n815e.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, sornars

More
21 Feb 2022 14:33 #330964 by Michael Barnes
ODE is annoying. On the one hand it is one of the greatest games ever made and it is damn close to everything for it. The component quality is great, the Ogres are cool and the big boards are nice. But it is definitely big, unwieldy, and there’s just too much stuff. Like, I’ve had it since it came out (at the time thinking $120 was outrageous and that the box size was absolutely absurd), and I’ve not played with half the stuff in it because it’s just not really useful. I’ve got a stack of unpunched “Black Rose Mercenary” sheets because I don’t even really know what to do with them. There’s stuff that I guess is for designing scenarios or whatever but…well, whatever.

What’s really annoying is when you just want to play Ogre. A game that used to be in a ziploc bag. But now, down comes this massive box from the shelf.

I actually reboxed it…I got a somewhat smaller box and cut the original up, gluing the logos and stuff on jt. The so called “Ogre Garage” was useless so I recycled it. But it’s still huge and heavy.

I did actually have the “just Ogre” thing they did a couple of years ago but I was kind of like what’s the point and flipped it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, sornars, n815e

More
21 Feb 2022 15:18 #330966 by n815e
Yeah the follow on products to the “base” game they released just don’t seem to make sense. A pack of counters. Some leftover boards from the Kickstarter. A box of more maps and counters really meant for ODE owners. No cohesive set of additional products, just half-hearted releases.

It was as though it was designed to fail in retail and then used as an excuse to stop supporting it.

More
24 Feb 2022 00:30 - 24 Feb 2022 01:21 #331012 by san il defanso
I think I will succeed my saving throw on this, but the new version of Old School Essentials just went up on KS and I am sorely tempted to back the Advanced Fantasy boxed set. I have the original Rules Tome and two of the Advanced Books, but since they aren't going to be selling physical individual volumes of the Advanced books anymore I hate the idea of just getting the rest of them on PDF.

Now that I type this out, I maybe WON'T succeed my saving throw. Well crap.

*edit* Yeah, I backed it.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2022 01:21 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
24 Feb 2022 10:14 #331019 by Gregarius
I'm resisting buying a new phone. I really don't want one, but my battery is shot. I'm mostly just resistant to change, as well as transferring over all my content. I'm a bit of a luddite, rocking an iPhone 6 SE for many years. I was against getting a new phone mainly because I love the smaller size of this version. But the last two iPhone releases have included a "mini" edition that's the same size, so that excuse is gone now.

What about you folks? Do you get the new model every year? Do you have a phone the size of a burrito that you lug around everywhere?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, olsonjj25, n815e

More
24 Feb 2022 10:46 #331020 by hotseatgames
I have a Pixel 3. Still going strong, but at some point I will upgrade. Probably another Pixel but who knows. I have not missed iPhone, having left around the iPhone 5 I think.

More
24 Feb 2022 10:53 #331022 by the_jake_1973
I have an 8+ that I kept from my last job. I'll run this until it breaks.

More
24 Feb 2022 11:03 #331023 by Jackwraith
I get a new one about every 5 years or so, which puts me way behind the times on normal releases. My current is a Samsung S10 which I've had for about three years now. No reason to change anytime soon. I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade if you're worried about transferring all your stuff over, though. All of the major manufacturers/networks have made that an almost seamless process. My current phone is basically a mirror image of my old phone three years ago and happened within minutes as I sat at the table with the sales rep.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Gregarius, n815e

More
24 Feb 2022 11:12 #331024 by Msample
I only upgrade when forced to , like once when I lost my phone and another time when it basically stopped working. I never upgrade just go get new features. Not sure if your phone has it , but Apple Pay/Google Pay is a nice thing to have nowadays.

More
24 Feb 2022 13:18 #331031 by Not Sure
I upgrade when they're cheap, usually just before the next model comes out, or when the carrier decides to do an unstoppable deal.

They were doing like $900 trade-ins for the iPhone 13 before Christmas, and my XR (so three generations back) qualified. Easy choice, even compared to a battery swap. I'd bought the XR just before 11 premiered, because the leaks showed no real difference, and it was 30% off or so.

The key is "don't wait until you really need it", but that's not always possible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Gregarius

More
24 Feb 2022 13:33 #331032 by san il defanso
I go about every 2-3 years, but they are paid for through my job so it's not too big a deal. I went through a lot of phones last year, due to breaking them and international moves. I used a loaner iPhone this last year in the US, after having used Samsung Galaxy phones for a while, and it convinced me to make the change. So I'm using an iPhone 12 right now, which I bought after the price was knocked down on them with the 13's release.

Usually if I'm replacing them it's because something is going wrong, like it won't hold a charge right, or the screen, or just not enough internal memory for something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
24 Feb 2022 13:41 #331033 by Nodens
I come from a different angle: I want a phone with a socket for a real headphone (Sennheiser) and the lowest radiation emission possible. Sturdiness is a plus because I drop it often. Cheapness is also nice because then I don't mind as much when I lose the thing.
I do not care about state-of-the art cameras since a 5-year old phone camera still is pretty great in comparison to, you know.
So, I have been very happy with Motorola G phones for the last ten years.

More
24 Feb 2022 18:22 #331045 by Msample
I was a long time Motorola fan due to them having phones with good to excellent battery life. However two years ago when I had to get a new phone I found they inexplicably had most of their phones in their line not support Apple/Google Pay, so I ended up with a One Plus.

More
25 Feb 2022 11:43 #331069 by Ah_Pook
I've been getting prepaid Motorola phones on Verizon for some years now. Typically once my battery gets dicey I'll buy whichever one is around $100. They're fine, and my bill is $25 a month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds