October 09, 2023
2506 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2705 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
22 Apr 2024 10:02 #342180 by ChristopherMD
Ghosts - Been watching the UK version but I've read that the US one is almost as good. A couple inherit a big mansion but its filled with ghosts that the woman can see and hear. The ghosts are more like sitcom housemates she has to deal with rather than scary. British humor can be hit or miss for me but in this case its definitely a hit.

Renegade Nell - Not sure what to make of this show. Early 18th century Highwaywoman gets super strength/speed along with Xena-level fighting skills from a fairy. Catches musketballs like Superman and fought a demon so far. On par with a CW show where your interest in the world that it's in will determine watchability more than it's quality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2024 11:50 #342181 by Nodens
While I do enjoy Electric Dreams it's a bit strange. Probably because I read all these stories several times as a teenager and young adult and this new version is true enough to them to remind me of that time in my own life. It's a good show with great personnel (Steve Buscemi, Juno Temple and many more), but it maybe came out 20 years too late?

Electric Dreams shows how deep Philip Dick's ideas are ingrained in modern scifi and how deeply his writing was influenced by the Cold War, which to me is a good thing, because my childhood was too. If I was under 30 I maybe would compare this to Black Mirror or Mr. Robot like people seem to do, but really I don't see the point.

Also it wasn't mentioned here nor anywhere else I read on the web, I stumbled over it more or less accidentally. Has nobody seen it, or did everyone find it meh, or is PKD about to be forgotten?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, DarthJoJo

More
22 Apr 2024 12:19 #342184 by Shellhead

ChristopherMD wrote: Ghosts - Been watching the UK version but I've read that the US one is almost as good. A couple inherit a big mansion but its filled with ghosts that the woman can see and hear. The ghosts are more like sitcom housemates she has to deal with rather than scary. British humor can be hit or miss for me but in this case its definitely a hit.

I watched the first several episodes of the UK version. I seriously love the scene where the woman finally confronts all the ghosts and asks them what they want from her, one by one. But eventually I got bored with the central gimmick, which is that only the woman can interact with the ghosts and everybody else keeps thinking that she is eccentric or possibly crazy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
22 Apr 2024 12:28 #342185 by charlest

Nodens wrote: While I do enjoy Electric Dreams it's a bit strange. Probably because I read all these stories several times as a teenager and young adult and this new version is true enough to them to remind me of that time in my own life. It's a good show with great personnel (Steve Buscemi, Juno Temple and many more), but it maybe came out 20 years too late?

Electric Dreams shows how deep Philip Dick's ideas are ingrained in modern scifi and how deeply his writing was influenced by the Cold War, which to me is a good thing, because my childhood was too. If I was under 30 I maybe would compare this to Black Mirror or Mr. Robot like people seem to do, but really I don't see the point.

Also it wasn't mentioned here nor anywhere else I read on the web, I stumbled over it more or less accidentally. Has nobody seen it, or did everyone find it meh, or is PKD about to be forgotten?

I watched it a few years ago and remember enjoying it. Mostly though, it made me hoping for more Black Mirror.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, hotseatgames

More
24 Apr 2024 08:56 #342198 by hotseatgames
I watched three episodes of Ripley on Netflix. This is an adaptation of The Talented Mr. Ripley. Essentially, Moriarti from the BBC Sherlock is a con man / identity thief, and heads to Italy for some crimes.

It didn't grab me too much, and I was mostly frustrated at how gorgeous I could tell the Italy scenes would be, but they are in black and white which was a bummer.

I've also started a show called Warrior, about a Chinese immigrant who gets into the underworld in old time America, feuding with the Irish. It is over the top fun, with tons of fights, blood, and sex.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
24 Apr 2024 12:39 #342201 by DarthJoJo

hotseatgames wrote: I've also started a show called Warrior, about a Chinese immigrant who gets into the underworld in old time America, feuding with the Irish. It is over the top fun, with tons of fights, blood, and sex.

I’m only two episodes into Warrior but really digging it. It feels like a Guy Ritchie take on Peaky Blinders. Make it dumber and flashier.

Kind of impressed by the acting across the board. Nothing to put on an Oscar resume but good in that Jason Statham-esque absolute commitment to the tough guy trope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Nodens

More
24 Apr 2024 17:06 #342205 by Nodens
Really nice to see Warrior finally getting some love. A couple of years ago jason10mm and I discussed it in this very thread. Fun show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, hotseatgames

More
24 Apr 2024 20:02 #342207 by DarthJoJo
Coming to Netflix and not being gated to whatever Cinemax uses is huge.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.553 seconds