October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

GF9 to produce Aliens coop board game

More
22 Feb 2018 16:41 #263851 by ChristopherMD
Players are space marines trying to stop the xenomorphs.

Also a new Dungeons & Dragons board game. No details yet because Wizards has to reveal it.

And some expansions for ST Ascendancy and that Doctor Who dice game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2018 16:53 #263852 by charlest
Yeah, I'm excited about this. Hopefully Aaron Dill and John Kovaleski are the designers, it'd be nice to see them work on something again besides Star Trek. I still lament the Black Sails game they never released.

More
22 Feb 2018 16:55 #263853 by ChristopherMD
What happened with the Black Sails game? I loved that show.

More
22 Feb 2018 17:06 - 22 Feb 2018 17:26 #263856 by Josh Look

Mad Dog wrote: What happened with the Black Sails game? I loved that show.

I would have to assume it was abandoned. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some sort of realignment after the seemingly poor sales of Homeland, Sons of Anarchy and WWE. All are fine games, but I don’t think there’s a ton of crossover between those IPs viewers and people who buy board games. Yeah, the show is about pirates, but I also think it falls into that
category. The show getting cancelled isn’t going to help matters.

As for Aliens, yeah, I’m in. I’m over co-ops and Doctor Who was a bit of a disappointment, but I’m stoked to see what the come up with.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2018 17:26 by Josh Look.

More
23 Feb 2018 09:02 #263881 by charlest

Mad Dog wrote: What happened with the Black Sails game? I loved that show.

No word, just like the SOA Irish expansion. They were teasing it one minute and gone the next. I imagine Josh is spot on, they're working on what is more likely to sell.

I'm excited about their new Firefly Adventures game that hits stores very soon, although that was not designed by the remaining core from their earlier work.

More
23 Feb 2018 09:18 #263883 by Shellhead
I'm still concerned that GF9 lost their genius game designer a while back. It looks like the Dr. Who game got scaled back from the original concept. Two years ago, I would automatically bought any Aliens game that GF9 wanted to make, but my current stance is try-before-I-buy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, drewcula

More
23 Feb 2018 10:13 #263889 by Msample
Yes, sadly his death seems to have shook them a bit - when he passed , Star Trek Ascendancy was in the final stages and it got delayed for quite a bit IIRC, as well as the expansions.

I didn't know they were working on a BLACK SAILS game. I've never seen the show and don't see that much discussion of it, I can't imagine its an IP that is popular enough to blind buy a game , unlike many of their other licensed properties.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Feb 2018 10:21 #263891 by Sagrilarus
I watched the first couple of seasons of Black Sails and enjoyed it until it started getting a little preachy. I lost Showtime and never chased it down after that.

It's one of those shows that, because it's on a premium channel, feels obligated to say "fuck" a lot. Pirates don't say "damn" or "shit" or "hell" or "ass" apparently because you can use those words on regular TV now. Always seemed out of place.

I don't see how the show's theme would pass through to a board game, though you could say that about Firefly too and they certainly made that work.

Who is the genius designer that passed away? I had not heard that. Does he (she) have a body of work prior to Gale Force 9?

By the way, I'm only understanding about half the acronyms you guys are throwing around. I'd appreciate it if you used the full name now and again.

More
23 Feb 2018 10:26 #263892 by hotseatgames
All of the acryonyms / abbreviations used in this thread:
IIRC - If I recall
GF9 - Gale Force 9
ST - Star Trek
TV - television
IP - Intellectual property
Dr - Doctor
SOA - Sons of Anarchy
WWE - World Wrestling Entertainment
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Cranberries, Sagrilarus, Colorcrayons, ufe20

More
23 Feb 2018 10:28 - 23 Feb 2018 10:29 #263894 by charlest
Sean Sweigart passed away last year. He was part of the trio with Aaron Dill and John Kovaleski that worked on all of their games up until Dr. Who - which is a different/new designer. Think that's the same guy that worked on Firefly Adventures as well.

Since Sean has passed, we haven't seen Dill or Kovaleksi release a new game, although they did work on the Ascendancy expansions that have released.

I enjoyed Black Sails quite a bit (it wasn't amazing, but it was enjoyable). I would think a game would center around finding the Urca gold and possibly burying it.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2018 10:29 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman, Gary Sax, Colorcrayons

More
23 Feb 2018 10:53 #263897 by Shellhead
I'm not especially interested in Firefly Adventures, but I like that they used the icons and graphic design elements as in their first Firefly game. I would definitely give it a try if I get the chance.

More
23 Feb 2018 17:48 - 23 Feb 2018 17:50 #263922 by jason10mm
A black sails game should totally be about the brothel and trying to manipulate all the captains and crews without ever actually doing anything yourself. It could be a COIN game from the perspective of "powerless" women :p

And did the license to Aliens go into the public domain or something? Seems like there is a lot of stuff for that IP despite the recent movies being pretty terrible. I just want the Leading Edge game to get reprinted.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2018 17:50 by jason10mm.

More
23 Feb 2018 18:28 #263924 by Shellhead

jason10mm wrote: And did the license to Aliens go into the public domain or something? Seems like there is a lot of stuff for that IP despite the recent movies being pretty terrible.

That seems possible. It's been about 30 years since Aliens was in the theaters. But you would think that the sequels would extend the IP life.

More
24 Feb 2018 13:38 #263947 by Gary Sax
Intellectual property lasts for like 100 years in the USA, so no.

atp.orangenius.com/how-mickey-mouse-keep...nging-copyright-law/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds