October 09, 2023
2287 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Coco - Barney's Incorrect Five Second Reviews

More
04 Dec 2017 15:53 #258868 by Black Barney

Pixar pulls off another paradox in delivering a hilarious tear-jerker.

Took 6-yr old Emily to this and she loved it, as did I. It's visually stunning and the music is great. Really tough subject matter to tackle and they did so in a beautiful way for kids to interpret and understand.

There was this massive short film on Frozen beforehand that seemed to go on forever and felt a little rushed and easy when it came to forcing songs. This led me to better appreciate the use of music in Coco. Where every song is a surprise and you feel the adrenaline and excitement of the hero singing it.

Pixar's smart story-telling was once again in the forefront. Where they found new genius ways to provide back-story and context without awkwardly taking you out of the movie. I love this studio.

Much like how this year's The Big Sick educated me on Pakistani culture, this film does a great job introducing Mexican folklore to children. I'm embarrassed I didn't really know what the Day of the Dead was about before this. I thought it was a Romero film that I keep meaning to see and be disappointed by.

I feel like some of Pixar's artists have been dying to animate pinatas for years and really went to town when given this opportunity.

Spirited Away is one of my favourite animated films of all time and I know that John Lassater is a fan as well, I wonder if he influenced the telling of the spirit world at all in this.

Anyway, i think it's hilarious that the main knock against this movie seems to be that there are greater Pixar movies that exist. Of course there are, but that doesn't mean Pixar should be a victim of its own success. This is a fun awesome movie.

Heart rating: 5 stars (absolutely)

Brain rating: 4 stars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2017 21:05 #258869 by Cranberries
Is there any reason to see this in Imax? (the price will be the same)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
09 Dec 2017 22:55 #258870 by Black Barney
It’s visually gorgeous. The first time you see the spirit world, it’s insane

You don’t need 3D in my opinion

More
18 Dec 2017 13:42 #259266 by Gregarius
I saw this Saturday. Visually, it was gorgeous, but the story never grabbed me (even though I still cried at several parts, but that's more me than the film, I think).

It is a shame that Pixar has elevated the genre so much (Cars films excluded), that we damn new films with faint praise, but I have to agree that this is "lesser tier" Pixar. Nothing in it really wowed me, either technically or narratively.

However, I will say that the story for this one seemed particularly dark. Murder, abandonment, and hints of abuse don't really feel like typical kids' fare. But your girl was okay with all that, Barney?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
18 Dec 2017 15:46 #259276 by Not Sure

Gregarius wrote: Murder, abandonment, and hints of abuse don't really feel like typical kids' fare.

Typical Disney film, I guess. (not really joking...)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
18 Dec 2017 16:04 #259278 by Nodens

Not Sure wrote:

Gregarius wrote: Murder, abandonment, and hints of abuse don't really feel like typical kids' fare.

Atypical in that we weren't forced to watch any parents die in the first five minutes...

More
18 Dec 2017 16:28 #259279 by Black Barney
Yeah, she seemed okay with stuff. She talks about death a bunch, it's interesting. I took her to a funeral reception on the weekend and when she say the slideshow pictures of the guy, she knew what was what.

She found Finding Dory pretty rough. The idea of losing your parents who forget you and all that was really tough for her.

You're right that the murder thing in Coco is pretty dark. It blew past me cuz I'm so used to it, but yeah that kind of betrayal is no joke.

More
18 Dec 2017 16:43 #259280 by Gregarius

Nodens wrote:

Not Sure wrote:

Atypical in that we weren't forced to watch any parents die in the first five minutes...

Both valid points.

I guess it just felt different because it wasn't just a threat like the typical bad guys or an off-screen death like Bambi. It was pretty central to the plot and shown explicitly.

Don't get me wrong, I think the best children's tales should and do deal directly with the horrific realities of the world. But while losing a parent or loved one to death is a natural and universal experience, having that loved one betrayed and murdered seems a little more "adult" than instructional.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds