October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie - Barney's Incorrect Five Second Reviews

More
20 Jun 2017 14:23 #250255 by Black Barney

Really fun for a movie basically about toilet humour.

I took 6-yr old Emily to see this on Sunday and it was a big hit (she wants to see it again). Being a super hot day, the air conditioning knocked me out for the first half of the movie but it was pretty easy to catch back up once my eyes opened.

I think this movie had my favourite cartoon villain i've seen in a very long time. He stole every scene he was in thanks almost entirely to a great voice performance by Nick Kroll doing a hilarious Professor P ("emphasis on the p00p!"). When he reveals his full name, i couldn't stop giggling like a schoolchild. It's just so dumb, I love it.

Clocking in at 84 minutes, the movie flies by but that's just fine with me. I don't think you can get much mileage out of the gimmick of turning your mean principal into a superhero whenever you want.

Kevin Hart is very good as a lead voice actor, whereas Kristen Schaal is unfortunately wasted in a very minor role.

I have a feeling if I was able to watch Ed Helms actually delivering his lines in the studio, I'd be laughing at everything. He's much too physical of a performer to be fully enjoyed in audio form only.

Anyway, great for kids and so-so for adults.

Heart rating: 4.5 stars (I'm not kidding, you'll just love every second Professor P is on the big screen)

Brain rating: 3.5 stars (this is generous for a movie going all in on literally toilet humour (I wish I was misusing the term literal there, but I'm not)

The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, Lady Klis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2017 07:38 #250256 by Lady Klis

More
22 Jun 2017 09:29 #250265 by Black Barney
yuk! I'm hoping to avoid having to see that. I've skipped all of them so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lady Klis

More
22 Jun 2017 10:45 #250272 by OldHippy
We love the comics in our house so it was an obvious choice to go see the movie.. my son was very impressed by it and wanted to see it again immediately. It certainly is filled with toilet humour but I'm not the kind to think of that as low brow... I think of it more as universal. A chimp may play a game by throwing his poop at another chimp... that's humour, and in our minds it's one of the earliest stages of humour. That kind of thing still works and while we can abstract it or make it slightly more sophisticated it still generally has that same root... it's even more interesting when you think about what Professor P's goal was... (spoiler alert) of stopping laughter. Trying to rise us above basic humour... but ultimately it's just not possible and we have to accept that it's a part of us. A visceral response we can't completely control. In any case there is nothing that ruins humour like trying to understand it so I'll stop there.

I loved the visual style of the flick too and some of the experiments with 2D animation or their attempt and sneaking in the 'flip o rama' technique from the comics into a movie. Most surprising to me though was that it works as a buddy flick for kids as the relationship between the two boys feels very real and is touching at times. My favourite quality was how different it was to the recent Disney or Pixar films in that it focused purely on fun and silliness... not even attempting to be adult and embracing the chaos of childhood. Dreamworks has been trying for years to come up with a style that is different than what Pixar/Disney do but still fun on it's own and for the most part they've had the most success when they've embraced silliness (this and Kung Fu Panda are as close as they've come in my opinion) and a Looney Tunes esque sort of animation style. I'd like to see more of that from them in the future.

More
22 Jun 2017 11:56 #250286 by Black Barney
Some of the knocks against the film is there is no obvious morals to be gained from it for children. I disagree with that on two levels:

1) I don't think animation movies require some type of moral lesson by default
2) I actually think there was a fairly big one. The boys get separated by the principal at some point into two different classes. This actually doesn't get settled at the end, and the boys have to live with the fact that they can't be in the same class anymore. They end up having a good perspective on this and I think that was an important thing to showcase. I got separated from buddies in school many times and it was super frustrating. it's good to see that it doesn't have to be the end of the world if you're a class clown like me :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lady Klis

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds