October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Alien: Covenant - Barney's Five Second Reviews

More
01 Jun 2017 09:09 - 01 Jun 2017 09:09 #249322 by Black Barney
The Dark Horse comics are excellent. Aliens v Superman was kind of dumb so just read the pure Aliens stuff. The original AvP comics are fantastic and make a ton of sense. There are rumours that crossover might get rebooted in film again.

What's super annoying to me after not one but TWO prequels to Alien is that we STILL don't have an answer to what happened on LV-426 that caused the original engineer spacecraft to be there with more eggs than a sushi buffet

Also if the comics do Aliens v John Wick, I'm out.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2017 09:09 by Black Barney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2017 09:24 #249324 by Columbob
The AvP comics are great. Then you watch those movies and shudder in disgust (well, I haven't seen the second one). Someone here mentioned the short gestation period in Covenant - they had that same problem in AvP where infected humans would suffer very little gestation period, instead we'd get a near instantaneous chest-bursting after infection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
01 Jun 2017 10:08 - 01 Jun 2017 10:10 #249327 by Black Barney
yeah, screenwriters don't want to simply put "time passes..." and they certainly don't want to find a way to advance the other story lines while the incubation period takes its sweet time, so everyone has become super lazy. James Cameron did an ACTION movie around Aliens and still found a way to respect the proper incubation period. He even alludes to how easy it would be for Carter to get compromised Ripley and Newt back on the Sulaco and put into hypersleep before hatching. See? It's not hard.

One good thing that I will say about Covenant is that as sudden and stupid the chestburster scene is, it's the best one since the first Alien. Absolutely brutal. I just wish it was an actual chestburster.

hey I'm not getting enough love for my choice of thumbnail for this movie. I think it perfectly shows just how stupid everything is. A jedi knight to the rescue?
Last edit: 01 Jun 2017 10:10 by Black Barney.

More
01 Jun 2017 10:31 #249329 by charlest
Chestburster scene wasn't nearly as effective for me as that backbursting one with the sac falling out. That was probably the best part of the movie.

The not wanting to acknowledge passage of time thing is aggravating. Anyone else notice that when they decide to hit up the new planet they say it will take just weeks. Scene cuts and they're approaching it. I'm fine with skipping monotony, but they should have had a fade or something to acknowledge it wasn't remotely close to the previous scene in terms of time.

More
01 Jun 2017 12:59 #249337 by Gregarius
After hating Prometheus so much, I knew I wasn't going to see this one. Every review I read confirms the wisdom of that decision.

It is such a relief to shed the burden of devotion to a series. I can now sit comfortably in my own private universe where only the first two films exist. I'm very close to feeling the same way about Star Wars.

More
01 Jun 2017 13:05 #249338 by Shellhead

Gregarius wrote: After hating Prometheus so much, I knew I wasn't going to see this one. Every review I read confirms the wisdom of that decision.

It is such a relief to shed the burden of devotion to a series. I can now sit comfortably in my own private universe where only the first two films exist. I'm very close to feeling the same way about Star Wars.

I skipped the entire Star Wars prequel trilogy, because I was still unhappy about Return of the Jedi. The Force Awakens turned out to be a waste of time, but I liked Rogue One.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius

More
01 Jun 2017 17:51 #249342 by Hex Sinister

charlest wrote: I also read that he intended Covenant to be a sequel to Prometheus and get much more into the Engineers, but many fans complained about Prometheus so he abandoned that and tried to bridge the gap more clearly to Alien.

And this is where the big failure was. "Just another Alien movie" is exactly what I did NOT want to see. And like Barney was saying the screenplay was sorely lacking. A completely competent film in nearly every aspect outside of that. A decent popcorn flick and nothing more. Another nitpick being the unimaginitive designs of the new hybrids or whatever you want to call them. A severe lack of creativity going on in this film, sadly. Which is what I want from science fiction. Unfortunately, hollywood does not take ANY chances in this century. You can't play it safe and make good art.

The next installment: "Captain, we're getting a distress signal from the sexbot planet". =P

More
02 Jun 2017 08:57 #249347 by Shellhead
"Hold on, hold on just a second. This franchise has a substantial dollar value attached to it."

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds