October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2690 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Logan - Barney's Incorrect Five Second Reviews

More
03 Apr 2017 10:04 #245920 by Black Barney

Someone has come along. The tired descriptive of superhero or comic-book movie 'for adults' has been made on many less deserving motion pictures, but it never has rang more true than here. 

The pacing, the language, the limited but explosive action sequences, the depth... all of it designed for a more appreciative palette. Even though we've seen Hugh Jackman's Wolverine more than enough times to describe him blindly to a sketch artist, I mean it when i say that Hugh Jackman is almost unrecognizable in this performance because it's so different and so tired. I'm not exactly sure how long Logan has been alive but you will FEEL his age and life experiences in this one. It's remarkable.

Patrick Stewart is one of my childhood favourite actors and he brings great layers to Xavier's suffering and dilemmas. I also don't think enough is being said about Dafne Keen's performance who somehow pairs ferociousness and vulnerability in almost every scene she's in. 

It's great to see a film that fully explores the dangers that mutants bring unwillingly along with them wherever they go. Choosing to spend time with them is practically a death sentence and the characters here will make you feel that burden that they walk or wheel around with constantly. I can just hear Uncle Ben now...

I worry that the quality of this story is so high that future genre films may appear empty or feel very thin. 

More of these please. 

Heart rating: 4.5 stars

Brain rating: 4 stars

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Columbob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2017 17:26 #245921 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, like I told y'all, this is the analog to those great graphic novels that came out circa 1986 versus the usual comic book fare...it ups the stakes considerably in terms of what this genre can offer, and quite frankly it makes the rest of the MCU stuff look pretty paltry in comparison. Not to say Dr. Strange, Guardians, etc. aren't fun and enjoyable, but this is actually a pretty damn good film that just happens to have something to do with the X-Men. It's violent and harsh, but it is also mature and adult in a positive way. And it is so far beyond the other X-Men films, it's ridiculous. I don't think I could ever watch the others again after this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 Apr 2017 17:31 #245922 by Black Barney
Hey you inspired the opening line of this review, thanks for reminding me of that epic scene. Charles having an Uncle Ben moment

It's a serious worry I have that the quality of this will really affect enjoyment of others. I don't want to see any yellow spandex anymore. Give me real, make me feel.

More
03 Apr 2017 18:59 #245925 by Shellhead
To be honest, Logan is possibly better than any Marvel comic that I have ever read, and I have read an awful lot of Marvel comics. It's up in there in quality with a few DC/Vertigo comics that weren't written by Alan Moore.

Stan Lee elevated the quality of comics in the early '60s, and Roy Thomas took it up another notch by the end of the '60s. A few good writers in the '70s (Doug Moench, Don McGregor, Steve Englehart) again advanced the quality of writing in comics, and maybe a couple more this century. But none of those guys ever turned in work quite at the level of the top DC and Vertigo guys. Marvel has definitely done some grim, gritty, and even adult (code for swearing and gore) comics over the years, but nothing on the same level of character depth and nuance of Logan.

More
04 Apr 2017 16:14 #245960 by Dr. Mabuse
I think what sets the mood from the get-go are the stark opening title credits. No flashy cheesy trippy computer graphics, just a stark white sans-serif text on a black background. You knew this wasn't going to be another cape movie.

More
04 Apr 2017 17:08 #245963 by Vlad
I liked Logan quite a lot, for all the reasons already stated, but not as much as Dark Knight.
What really surprises me is that in all of X-Men/Logan films, the most common strategy employed by soldiers/mercs/swat-dudes to fight wolverine is running towards him in triangular formation. Then, when their point man is dead, they surround Logan so to enable to goriest and quickest execution of the rest of the squad. There was another scene when the girl is ripping apart a squad of these morons, and the last remaining merc grabs her by the hand saying "You're coming with me".

More
04 Apr 2017 17:23 #245965 by RobertB
I seem to recall a couple of circular firing squads in the film, although I could be mistaken. Still a really great movie though.

More
05 Apr 2017 10:51 #245994 by Michael Barnes
Ha ha! "Look, it's the Wolverine! Let's surround him and engage in melee combat!"

More
05 Apr 2017 10:52 #245995 by Black Barney
"everybody! Bring it in real close!"

More
05 Apr 2017 11:08 #245997 by Michael Barnes
Then it cuts to a guy with his guts spilling out "I thought Wolverine was the laser eyes guy..."

More
05 Apr 2017 11:32 #246000 by Black Barney
"now i know why they call him.... Wolverinnnneee.." *dies*

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds