October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

The Lego Batman Movie - Barney's Incorrect Five Second Reviews

More
13 Feb 2017 10:47 #243862 by Black Barney

Tons of fun and laughs, and my 6-year old daughter LOVED it (wants to see it again). 

Not QUITE as good as 2014's Lego Movie but almost. I had a ton of laugh-out-loud moments along with this one other guy in the theatre (we seemed to enjoy the same jokes) and each time my girl asks me, 'what's so funny?". It's one of those movies that's perfect for adults and children alike on very different levels. Lots of really special moments (I can't explain the cinematography of lonely Batman watching lobster heating up in the microwave on a rotating plate, casting yellowish glow round and round the kitchen... it's hauntingly effective and hilarious. That scene just doesn't end too, loved it. 

The voice actors are top notch. It's amazing to hear Ralph Fiennes in a movie like this where he isn't even voicing the Voldemort character. 

As mentioned with the microwave scene, there are some scenes where the cinematography is surprisingly stunning. Quick vistas of Gotham City can be caught here and there during sundown and I wish the camera would stay on them longer. Some talented artists were at work on this one. 

It's very family-friendly overall, and the violence is super cartoonish and not cruel in anyway. Even Godzilla feels bad when he accidentally destroys something. 

I find it pretty funny that this is better than the majority of the Batman movies too (discounting Nolan's trilogy of course). No joke but this is the best DC movie in YEARS. It's Robot Chicken meets Batman. Anyone that is still suffering from that Batman v Superman abortion should watch this as therapy. 

Heart rating: 4.5 stars

Brain rating: 4 stars (I'm feeling generous here)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, Colorcrayons, Hadik, Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2017 14:50 #243863 by mads b.
I saw this with my two eldest (8 and 4,5) and they both liked it a lot. I found both narrative and jokes quite good, but what I really liked was how much it resembled just playing with legos. From the concept of building your way out of trouble over everybody making their own gun sounds to the ridicilous ending, this just seemed very much like playing with ninjago, nexo knights, elves and lego friends on the dinner table.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Hadik, Vlad

More
13 Feb 2017 19:57 #243882 by Vlad
I'm so waiting forward to see it with my son. We've been re-watching Lego Movie yesterday to get in the mood.

By the way, I don't know whether I have watched this too many times or something, but Lego Movie seems to tackle some existential&religious matters. Like it pretty much explains the origin of the universe (the lego one, at least) and has a pretty much messianic arc for Emmet. Once again, I'm not sure this is by design or my mind is starting to wander off every time it is on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
13 Feb 2017 20:10 #243885 by Black Barney
This is going to sound really weird but I find it more of a Batman movie than a Lego movie. They took the subject matter alarmingly seriously. Someone's a fan...

More
13 Feb 2017 21:02 #243889 by Hadik
I can't seem to stay awake at movies anymore. Was awake for the first 10 minutes. Slept for the next 20-30. Was awake for the rest of the movie. Same thing happened at Rogue One.

I did like it though! Found it to be better than the Lego movie for the very reason that it was not existential/heavy/preachy etc.

More
13 Feb 2017 21:16 #243892 by Black Barney
I almost fell asleep too! Happens all the time during kids movies, too much flashy lights. Knocks out my retinas

More
13 Feb 2017 23:43 #243903 by Cranberries

Hadik wrote: I can't seem to stay awake at movies anymore. Was awake for the first 10 minutes. Slept for the next 20-30. Was awake for the rest of the movie. Same thing happened at Rogue One.

I did like it though! Found it to be better than the Lego movie for the very reason that it was not existential/heavy/preachy etc.

Our theater now has recliners. Someone should make a movie that consists of darkness and deeply relaxing ocean sounds. You would pay five bucks during the day, put on a sleep mask, and have two freaking hours of nap, uninterrupted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
14 Feb 2017 09:15 - 14 Feb 2017 09:16 #243910 by Columbob

cranberries wrote:

Hadik wrote: I can't seem to stay awake at movies anymore. Was awake for the first 10 minutes. Slept for the next 20-30. Was awake for the rest of the movie. Same thing happened at Rogue One.

Our theater now has recliners. Someone should make a movie that consists of darkness and deeply relaxing ocean sounds. You would pay five bucks during the day, put on a sleep mask, and have two freaking hours of nap, uninterrupted.

You wouldn't even need the mask what with the lights out.

BTW, Lego really went all-out with this movie - about FIFTEEN new Lego Batman sets plus the "collect them all" 24 mini-figure baggies.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2017 09:16 by Columbob.

More
14 Feb 2017 10:28 #243915 by Grudunza
Saw it last night and I'm right with you, Barney. I loved it, and it almost equalled The Lego Movie. Just super entertaining and funny throughout, some great visual scenes, and a decent story.

More
14 Feb 2017 11:26 #243924 by Varys
I loved it. I think I liked it more than The Lego Movie, but that's probably because I've been a Batman movie and TV show fan (more than the comics which were prohibitively more expensive) since I was a kid. There were so many Easter Eggs for the various movies and TV shows that it really clicked for me. I can see someone getting lost with all the rapid fire references, jokes, and flashing action, but I managed to hang on. I agree that this was way more a Batman movie than a Lego movie, and I think I was the perfect age target for this.

More
14 Feb 2017 11:42 #243928 by airmarkus
I fell asleep too for about 10 minutes. I was having a hard time watching because my back was killing me, but there were several times I burst out laughing. Two parts in particular were when Batman was telling Robin kids can be cruel (don't want to give away the joke) and when they flashed back to the old 70s batman show with Batman dancing.

More
14 Feb 2017 15:02 #243953 by jpat
The first forty-five minutes to an hour, I found really good and as good as the Lego Movie. When the movie goes sincere, I found it a lot less compelling than its predecessor.

More
14 Feb 2017 21:05 - 14 Feb 2017 21:06 #243973 by Michael Barnes
Loved it. Better than The LEGO Movie. Best line and most obscure reference-
Warning: Spoiler!

Also did not expect...well, the "English" characters. All of them.

It was total anarchy, but grounded in it being an all-out, all access Batman movie. It was practically a Batman encyclopedia. And it was actually a really good Batman story! I liked that it was a complete slap in the face to all of the serious, grim superhero programming, and I liked that it was FINALLY a superhero movie suitable for small children...unlike all of the others.

Unfortunately, there is a real dark side to the movie. One of the executive producers is Steve Mnuchin, Trump's nominee for treasury secretary, a big supporter of Trump's campaign and a lying criminal like the rest of the scumbags he's putting into destructive positions. So our money here, at least some of it, is going to support these anti-American assholes. Just be aware of that.

He produced Fury Road too.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2017 21:06 by Michael Barnes.

More
15 Feb 2017 08:30 #243979 by Black Barney
You're a fun sponge. The guy produces excellent movies. It's not like refusing to see a Mel Gibson or Polanski movie

I don't think munchkin takes away from the movie at all but to make you feel better, I hereby refuse to ever again play the board game named after him. Happy?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
15 Feb 2017 11:05 #243984 by Vlad
I picture Barnes as Rorschach. If only more people were like him, this country would be having its 2nd civil war right now instead of watching Batman Lego.

On the other hand, if this guy produced Fury Road, he can't be a bad person.

And there's no excuse for not watching Polanski - in this case the art is vastly more important than the creator, and I think watching his films (whether you like them or not - I don't like most of them, for example) is education. Ditto for Oliver Stone, even though he made a puff piece on Hugo Chavez, which is pretty despicable. Mel Gibson you can pass safely, I think.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds