October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Dice Temple: Terraforming Mars Review

More
09 Dec 2016 00:01 #240241 by atmaloney

Like so many others I have a hard time discerning between good games and games that are all hype. It's hard to tell when BGG fads are fads, or when you can feel confident buying a game. That's why I was excited to play Terraforming Mars at Trashfest East this year. Besides meeting a bunch of awesome people, and drinking the coldest cheapest draught in Vernon, CT, I got to see if this new game from Stronghold was as good as the internet says. Now I hope to pass on a bit of my good fortune by writing this review, which should, at least in part, help you decide what you think about Terraforming Mars.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Legomancer, Columbob, Feelitmon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2016 11:58 #240242 by ChristopherMD
I like the setting at the very least. Much better than settling ancient Egypt or worse some bland "medieval times" like Dominion. Initially didn't plan on checking this out but this review and Legomancer's comments have put it on my radar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Dec 2016 13:08 #240249 by Shellhead
"...I have a hard time discerning between good games and games that are all hype."

My dad was a salesman, until he started his own business and took on more roles, so I grew up dealing with hype. I know all the standard sales tactics and am highly resistant to them. Consequently, I usually have zero trouble discerning between good games and hype games, as long as I have at least some info to look over. Or I could be completely delusional and suffering from extreme confirmation bias. Probably some of both. Either way, I enjoy most of the games that I have acquired over the years.

Excellent review, because there is enough detail that I can see a decent game of a type that I don't enjoy.

More
09 Dec 2016 14:42 - 09 Dec 2016 15:02 #240262 by Feelitmon
This is a really useful review for me, because the near universal acclaim for Terraforming Mars had me seriously considering it for my group. But the Auction and Drafting mechanics are possibly my least favorite board game mechanics, so I think I may just steer clear of this one. I have friends who love auction games, and I figure they can buy it if they want to play it.

This has made me consider auctioning and drafting more deeply though, especially since I do enjoy some games with those activities. Tides of Time is a recent two-player game that is built around the "choose a card and pass the rest" mechanic. I don't know if this strictly counts as an auctioning or drafting game, although it's close enough that I would normally find it to be a chore. And yet I really enjoy Tides of Time, whereas I detest games like Catan. I think the difference is that a game that has auctions or drafting only at the beginning of the game can just leave you royally screwed over and with no way to auction or draft your way back into contention. Many times I have played Catan only to experience that sinking feeling of knowing that you're going to lose, knowing that you can't really do anything about it, and knowing that it will take another 90 minutes to happen. Meanwhile, a game that has that all throughout the session gives you ways to mitigate bad auctioning / drafting decisions with better ones.

It sounds like Terraforming Mars isn't like that though, and has auctions / drafting throughout the game. So maybe I wouldn't hate it after all, heh.
Last edit: 09 Dec 2016 15:02 by Feelitmon.

More
09 Dec 2016 15:25 #240267 by JEM
The draft is actually an optional rule. I personally prefer to play with it (and I hate most drafting games like Seasons, 7 Wonders etc). There are no auctions in Terraforming Mars.

More
11 Dec 2016 11:05 #240319 by Legomancer
There's nothing auction whatsoever in TM.

The drafting is optional and minimal. Each round you get four cards, and you can buy any number of them for $3 each. If you're using drafting, you draft the four cards. That's it. It adds some time to the game, and it gives players a little more control, but it's not as central to the game as, say, 7 Wonders.

I taught TM at Trashfest. Were you one of the players?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.296 seconds