October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Sing Street - Barney's Incorrect Five Second Reviews

More
02 Jun 2016 14:21 #228748 by Black Barney

Amazing. So much fun. Sort of a mix of The Commitments with Once (same director so no wonder) but still totally unique. 

Very quick synopsis since no one here ever knows these movies i see: 14 yr-old Conor is growing up in 80's Dublin. Having a tough time at home and at school, he luckily gets lost in the eyes of one Raphina. Giving him new purpose in winning her heart, he decides to be a rock star and quickly forms a band. That's all you need to know. 

I don't think I've seen a music movie that focuses this much on the writing and inspiration process. "Want to help me write a song?" just never gets old. 

I have a soft spot for Irish movies but this is just as good as Brooklyn (which i loved). The ensemble cast is all terrific as a bunch of reject kids going to a Christian brothers high school, finding each other through music. Heck, I was all ready to complain about Littlefinger being in the movie but you stop seeing him as such no more than 6 seconds into his first scene. Which speaks to the quality of directing and of that particular actor who's name I can never remember.... Petyr Baelish?

The music is SO good too. A mix of plenty of styles as the band tries to find itself, going from Duran Duran to The Cure and beyond. I immediately bought some of the music. I can't get "Up" out of my head and "To Find You" is lovely. I can't seem to be able to legally obtain Adam Levine's "Go Now" but I'll keep trying. 

The girl love interest in the movie is gar-jess (trying to evoke an irish accent there) too. That little ginger producer kid's scene when trying to recruit pianist Ngig is one of the funniest scenes I've seen in a while. 

I can't recommend it enough. 

Heart rating: 5 stars (and it's not even close)

Brain rating: 4 stars (i felt like they rushed the whole final act WAY too much)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2016 19:43 #228749 by Grudunza
Yeah, this one is really great, and a nice surprise in a year that hasn't had too many standouts. And yes, I like it in music movies where the original music created by the fictional band is actually good and memorable.

Ha, Littlefinger, right.

I was surprised that a film about a band forming in Dublin in the 80's didn't have any U2 references, but they might have had some licensing issues (too expensive, probably).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
14 Jun 2016 21:10 #228955 by Cranberries
I hope this comes to our local dollar theater. Right now it's playing at the Limbo theater that is halfway between my house and Salt Lake City and whose tickets are in-between the dollar theater and ten dollar first run theaters. At 3:40 pm, once per day.

More
15 Jun 2016 07:48 #228965 by Black Barney
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
05 Sep 2016 21:21 #233349 by Gregarius
I finally saw this yesterday. Loved it!

So many great things, so many perfect little touches. It's rare enough when movies don't over explain things, but even better when you believe there is a real story for everyone beyond what's on the screen. I didn't express that very well, but that's okay.

If I could give awards to characters (not the actors for the performance), then this film would get World's Greatest Brother.

More
05 Sep 2016 22:48 #233364 by Grudunza
I picked up the DVD for this and watched it again a few weeks ago, and it is just a perfect film in so many ways. My current favorite of 2016.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney, Gregarius

More
09 Jan 2017 09:37 #242055 by jpat
Finally saw this on Netflix. It occurred to me that this was like Once, but I didn't really make the actual connection till afterward. I really loved it, especially since my last two movies were the mopey Manchester by the Sea and Fences. I enjoyed everyone's performances, but for whatever reason I think I enjoyed Mark McKenna's Lennon-esque Eamon, who had an engaging mixture of seriousness, diffidence, and talent and served as a nice balance to the lead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Black Barney

More
09 Jan 2017 12:56 - 09 Jan 2017 12:57 #242082 by Grudunza
Yeah, the rabbit kid! And those kids were all non-actors, at least the main ones. I think the girl had been in some stuff. Wonderful performances, though.

There is so much that's great about this movie (my #1 of 2016). I hadn't seen Once before seeing this, so I checked it out. Once has a cool rawness to it, but I think Sing Street is a better realized movie and story, overall. You got coming-of-age, finding your confidence and voice (literally), dealing with a new school and its authority figures and bullies, divorcing parents, a big brother who laments his choices but gets to see his own dreams fulfilled in his little brother, and a romantic relationship that is not obvious and has some nice layers to it. All kinds of stuff, smoothly woven into a very funny, charming and touching film. And as a musician/songwriter who formed or joined many fledgling bands of this type (around that same time, even), it really rings true about how that feels and about the creative process.

I doubt it will get nominated for Best Picture, but I'll be happy to see it represented somewhere... probably in Best Song, but also perhaps a longshot for Original Screenplay, which I'd love to see.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2017 12:57 by Grudunza.

More
09 Jan 2017 13:25 #242088 by Black Barney
Once didn't hit you like a freight train, Grud? Man, that movie FLOORS me. i absolutely love it. The modern-day musical indeed.

More
09 Jan 2017 13:37 #242089 by Grudunza

Black Barney wrote: Once didn't hit you like a freight train, Grud? Man, that movie FLOORS me. i absolutely love it. The modern-day musical indeed.

Yeah, I liked it a lot. Simple, powerful, raw. But Sing Street is better, overall.

More
09 Jan 2017 14:22 #242103 by jpat
I need to watch the movie Once. I've only seen the musical, which was a bit of luck since my older cousin, a former Broadway office-type person, took me when I was on business in NYC. I've had watching the film in the back of my mind periodically, but I think I'll move that up now.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds