October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Hey All! I'm Chris from Everything Epic Games!

More
07 Dec 2013 18:03 #167057 by OldHippy
I love ellipses, my favourite writer was famous for bringing them to the fore front in literature. Louis Ferdinand Celine, he was great at it and used it as a trick to imitate spoken word on a page. It worked wonderfully for his style. I still use them myself quite a bit. But hey, I hate YMMV and crap like that so ... to each their own I suppose.

Here's one of my favourite ellipses heavy passages from 'Castle to Castle'. You can see how he's using it to bring you into his head and show you how fragmented even our most together and poetic thoughts can be. There wasn't much use in using it so heavily after his work but I still use it in writing when I feel that the sentences aren't really flowing together the way I like.

The head is like a factory that doesn’t run exactly the way you’d like…imagine…two thousand billion neurons…all a complete mystery…where does that get you?…neurons left to their own resources! the slightest attack, your head goes haywire, you can’t pin down a single idea…you’re ashamed of yourself…Here on my ass like this, I’d like to tell you some more…about pictures, coats-of-arms, secret passageways, draperies…but I’m lost…I can’t find anything…my head’s turning…yes, but wait…I’ll get back to you…and my Castle…and my head!…later…later…I remember a word!…animal instinct, I said…Bébert…I’ve got the thread back…[our cat] Bébert was at home in that Castle from the top of the turrets to the cellars…he and Lili would meet in one corridor or another…they didn’t talk to each other…they behaved as if they’d never seen each other before…each for himself…the animal waves are like that, a quarter of a millimeter off and you’re not yourself…you don’t exist…a different world!…same mystery with Bessy, my dog, later in the woods in Denmark…she’d run away…I’d call her…blue in the face…she didn’t hear me…off on a binge…she’d pass, she’d brush against us…ten times!…twenty times!…like an arrow!…and away she’d go around the trees so fast you couldn’t see her legs! bat out of hell!…I loved that dog…and I think she loved me too…but her animal life came first…for two, three hours…I didn’t count…this was one of her escapades…wild in the animal world…woods, meadows, rabbits, deer, ducks…she came back with bleeding paws, affectionate…she died here in Meudon, she’s buried over there, right next to the house, in the garden, I can see the mound…a painful death…cancer, I think…she wanted to die there outside…I held her head…I held her in my arms up to the end…really a splendid animal…a joy to look at her…a vibrant joy…she was so beautiful!…not a flaw…coat, build, stance…nothing like it in the dog shows!

It’s a fact, I still think of her, even now in this fever…in the first place, I can’t tear myself away from anything, a memory, a person, so how would I tear myself away from a dog?…I’m a virtuoso of fidelity…fidelity and responsibility…responsible for everything…a disease…anti-ungrateful…the world is good to you!…animals are innocent, even when they run wild like Bessy…in a pack they shoot them…

I really loved her with her crazy escapades, I wouldn’t have parted with her for all the gold in the world…any more than with Bébert, though he was the meanest ripper of them all…a tiger!…but very affectionate at times…and terribly attached! from end to end in Germany…animal fidelity…

In Meudon, I could see, Bessy missed Denmark…nothing to hunt in Meudon…no deer…maybe a rabbit?…maybe…I took her to the Bois de Saint-Cloud…for a bit of a run…she sniffed…zigzagged…and came back in no time…two minutes…nothing to track in the Bois de Saint-Cloud…she walked along with us…but she was sad…she was a robust animal…she’d had a bad time of it up there…the cold…ten below…and no kennel…and not just for days!…for months…years…the Baltic frozen over…

All of a sudden up there with us…never mind, we forgave her everything…she’d take a powder…she’d come back…never a word of reproach…she ate out of our plates, so to speak…the worse the world treated us, the more we spoiled her…she’s dead…but she had a bad time dying…I didn’t want to give her an injection…not even a little morphine…the syringe would have frightened her…I’d never frightened her…she was very low for a good two weeks…oh, she didn’t complain, but I could tell…strength all gone…she slept beside my bed…one morning she wanted to go out…I wanted to lay her down in the straw…right after daybreak…she didn’t like the place I put her…she wanted a different place…on the cold side of the house, on the pebbles…she lay down very prettily…she began to rattle…that was the end…they’d told me, I didn’t believe it…but it was true…she was pointed in the direction of her memory…the place she had come from, the North, Denmark, her muzzle turned toward the north…a faithful dog in a way, faithful to the woods of her escapades, Korsör up there…faithful too to the awful life…she didn’t care for the woods of Meudon…she died with two, three little rattles…oh, very discreet…practically no complaining…and in a beautiful position, as though in mid-leap…but on her side, felled, finished…her nose toward the forests of the chase, up there where she came from, where she’d suffered…God knows!…

Oh, I’ve seen plenty of death agonies…here…there…everywhere…but none by far so beautiful, so discreet…so faithful…the trouble with men’s death agonies is the song and dance…a man is always on the stage…even the simplest of them…

The following user(s) said Thank You: epaparellanto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2013 21:34 #167066 by ThirstyMan
So it's dots then?
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis, engineer Al, epaparellanto

More
08 Dec 2013 12:02 #167086 by OldHippy

ThirstyMan wrote: So it's dots then?

Spoken like a true scientist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, epaparellanto

More
08 Dec 2013 13:10 #167090 by MattFantastic

flim_flam wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote: What's an ellipse?

It was that awful euro-y 4X space game the came out a few years back. The one Matt Loter dislikes with a passion.

Seriously, fuck that game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, epaparellanto

More
09 Dec 2013 15:44 #167153 by SuperflyPete
In the face with a barbwire rubber.

More
09 Dec 2013 16:38 - 09 Dec 2013 16:39 #167157 by mikecl

MattLoter wrote:

flim_flam wrote:

It was that awful euro-y 4X space game the came out a few years back. The one Matt Loter dislikes with a passion.

I tried that. Now I'm all covered in Euro Rash. Thanks a lot. (You weren't really serious were you?)
Last edit: 09 Dec 2013 16:39 by mikecl.

More
09 Dec 2013 16:44 #167158 by san il defanso
Good luck trading that game now.

More
09 Dec 2013 21:15 - 10 Dec 2013 09:54 #167185 by OldHippy

MattLoter wrote:

flim_flam wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: In the face with a barbwire rubber.

Guys, c'mon already. I like Eclipse a lot ok... then again... I'm kind of partial to getting face fucked with a barbedwire rubber too so... YMMV.
Last edit: 10 Dec 2013 09:54 by OldHippy.

More
10 Dec 2013 09:45 #167237 by Columbob

JonJacob wrote: ... YMMV.

Thought you hated that shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, epaparellanto

More
10 Dec 2013 09:53 - 10 Dec 2013 09:59 #167239 by OldHippy

Columbob wrote:

JonJacob wrote: ... YMMV.

Thought you hated that shit.

I'm glad someone noticed, that and the inclusion of too many ellipses is part of the (obviously failed) joke.
Last edit: 10 Dec 2013 09:59 by OldHippy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds