October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

THIS IS WHY F:AT IS HOME.

More
23 Jan 2018 04:25 - 23 Jan 2018 04:25 #261776 by Matt Thrower
This post made me very happy to be part of such a great community, and very sad because about 2,000 miles of saltwater lies between me and meeting most of you.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2018 04:25 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2018 07:44 - 23 Jan 2018 07:46 #261778 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic THIS IS WHY F:AT IS HOME.
+1 on Brewmiester being the real deal.

He's bought several minis from me over the years, but what does he do when he has something I desire (Pokemon Master Trainer)? He sends it to me free of charge.

It would be an honor to sling dice with him some day, but at least we have our TITAN Acts games.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2018 07:46 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Brewmiester

More
23 Jan 2018 08:01 #261780 by Erik Twice
I'm going to echo Barney's and San Il Defanso's comments: This is one of the few places where you can have a natural, mature conversation about games with people who are knowledgeable about the topic. The "What have you been playing" thread is the best example of this: People just share their thoughts on games they are playing, without beging bogged down on fanboyism or senseless elitism.

I think that most conversations about games online go nowhere because it's impossible to get past the basics. There's only so many times you can go through the same shallow routines:

- New games are better, you only like old games because of nostalgia
- Better production values means better games
- Latest blockbuster is the best game ever made
- Your game sucks because it's long/short
- Is story better than gameplay?
- It took me 6 hours to play Settlers of Catan
- Are you a bad person for playing a WW2 wargame?
- This game of my youth is a classic, how dare you point of its flaws
- Should critics use the four point scale?
- I'm going to buy 15 games, any more suggestions before I order?

And so on. There are places where the discussion is better, but most of the time these old routines are replaced by the equally shallow "emergent gameplay", "ludonarrative dissonance" and "gatekeeping" issues which go nowhere.

I think one of the reasons for this is that the the forum population skews older AND has diverse interests. The main reason all these shallow routines are seen over and over again is because, well, many gamers don't know anything else. They haven't played that many games, or dabbled in art beyond their hobby or what they liked as a kid. Many people on Boardgamegeek have never thought about the possibility of gamse being political before or being 10 hours long so it comes a shock to them.

I don't think I expressed myself well, but I hope the point gets across. I truly appreciate the perspective of everyone here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman, jeb, Black Barney, lj1983, Frohike, repoman

More
23 Jan 2018 09:21 #261793 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic THIS IS WHY F:AT IS HOME.
It took me six hours to play Catan! Classic.

Don't forget the "how can I get my wife/girlfriend/non gaming friends/random strangers into gaming"
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
23 Jan 2018 11:09 #261821 by SuperflyPete

MattDP wrote: This post made me very happy to be part of such a great community, and very sad because about 2,000 miles of saltwater lies between me and meeting most of you.

I'll be in europe at some point between May and August. We've been saving for several years to visit my mother in Italy, so we're flying into Rome, then to Genoa(ish) where she lives (Torriliglia) and then we're cruising up to Paris because my wife has always wanted to have coffee at a legit cafe in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower, and then Louvre. Then we're chunnelling because one of my only irrational fears is underwater tunnels and I think it will be funny to enter London for the first time with pissed pants. The plan is to get some Nandos because BANTER, get some legit fish and chips at a local chippie because LEGIT, and then we're going to tourist for a day or two.

Then we're heading up to Surrey to see my dear friend Ann, whose husband passed away not too long ago, and she needs a friendly face (we are/were all super super close friends). A day of cheer and then we're heading up to Lancashire (driving, because I want to see the Kingdom and that's a long fucking drive), to see one of my oldest friends, a programmer/hacker/nutter who worked with my father for years, despite being only a few years older than me, back in California.

Then, MAYBE, Amsterdam before flying home. I want to be able to Vincent Vega and brag on having a Royale au Fromage and the Nederlander Hash.

So, I may also be doing a F:ATTIE tour too...maybe. I'm going to be quite near Belgium and I have business friends there, so I'd like to see about meeting up with David Ausloos and seeing his Polaroid Portraits in person, because they're amazing.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds