October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Fight for Net Neutrality

More
29 Nov 2017 14:50 #258360 by SuperflyPete
It’s like this: If the FCC’s open comments change the course and Net Neutrality is reinforced by this new FCC cunt, the argument that ISPs are better than government is completely destroyed. You could call Comcast every day for a year, and even if 200 million people called, they would not be persuaded to change anything because they own a monopoly on service. There’s recourse with government that doesn’t exist in a monopolized business.

If ISPs win and NN is killed, it proves the point of the Libertarians that our government is no longer reliant upon the will of the people for direction and our democracy is a sham; corporations are ultimately the only ones who have power and thus the market will ultimately be the only power that individuals have anymore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2017 13:27 #259100 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Fight for Net Neutrality
The FCC voted to end net neutrality today. The two Democrats on the committee voted to keep net neutrality. The three Republicans voted to end it. Why was this a partisan vote?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
14 Dec 2017 14:26 #259106 by Black Barney
everything is a partisan vote these days.

I wonder if we'll feel this in Canada. I imagine Canada will push hard to regulate the ISPs, I think they already do.

In the meantime, let me know how Netflix feels over the next year or two (they've already filed with the courts). I think i read that ISPs HAVE to disclose when they are intentionally blocking, throttling or if they give a paid prioritization. I'm guessing the laws around that will also be overturned most likely?

More
14 Dec 2017 14:32 #259107 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Fight for Net Neutrality

Shellhead wrote: The FCC voted to end net neutrality today. The two Democrats on the committee voted to keep net neutrality. The three Republicans voted to end it. Why was this a partisan vote?

Because Rule 1A of the Republican Handbook is: "Government Does Not Work."

Rule 1B is: "There Is No Such Thing as the 'Public Good.'"

I fully expect the Republican infrastructure next year to sell off portions of the interstate system to private investors and corporations. I won't drive to work in the Chicago suburbs on I-290 anymore. I'll drive to work on the "Doritos Expressway Sponsored by Google." And each lane of traffic will be capped at a certain speed, but you can pay more to subscribe to the faster lanes. And if you don't like it, then you can take a different road. It's capitalism!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, Msample, Black Barney, Frohike, ufe20

More
14 Dec 2017 14:50 - 14 Dec 2017 14:50 #259109 by Black Barney
I spent all of three minutes on the Doritos Expressway and now my tires are bright orange and the whole car fucking STINKS
Last edit: 14 Dec 2017 14:50 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
14 Dec 2017 14:56 #259110 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Fight for Net Neutrality

Joebot wrote: I fully expect the Republican infrastructure next year to sell off portions of the interstate system to private investors and corporations. I won't drive to work in the Chicago suburbs on I-290 anymore. I'll drive to work on the "Doritos Expressway Sponsored by Google." And each lane of traffic will be capped at a certain speed, but you can pay more to subscribe to the faster lanes. And if you don't like it, then you can take a different road. It's capitalism!!

Already done. Google "Interstate 66 Washington DC" and see the $30+ tolls that have just started. The heavy parts of the beltway have Lexus Lanes now where you pay by the mile for faster travel speeds. The price varies based on the amount of traffic on the road.

More
14 Dec 2017 18:42 #259114 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Fight for Net Neutrality
Discussing interstates a while ago and my view is that with the advent of driverless trucks, humans will be declared as "unsafe" for them and banned.

Then we can all sit where we are, pay for commercial transport, or fly our private jets. Our choice, right?

And we won't even have the fucking Internet (Brought to you by Carl's Jr!) to amuse us.

More
14 Dec 2017 20:27 #259118 by SuperflyPete
If you exclude bots and form letter comments, 11 million Americans overwhelmingly told FCC to go fuck itself.

And they decided to fuck us anyhow.

Our government is corrupt. I wouldn’t be surprised if people start shooting over this. It’s not about the internet anymore...it’s about lack of legitimate representation. This is going to get uglier and uglier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Vlad

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds