October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2630 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Malcom Young died Saturday

More
21 Nov 2017 22:35 - 21 Nov 2017 22:40 #258021 by Sagrilarus
Usually you guys let me know when icons of rock croak. Apparently he died due to complications from dementia on Saturday.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2017 22:40 by Sagrilarus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2017 05:35 - 22 Nov 2017 05:36 #258024 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Malcom Young died Saturday
Unadulterated Rock n Roll is not something the youth of today can really appreciate, Sag. So the death goes unremarked. No gnashing of the teeth or rending of garments that some emo/prog rock/wuss musician might engender.

Here's to Malcom Young and his mates blasting from the 8 Track Player with Cassette Adapter of my 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix, jamming down the gas pedal on that steel behemoth and it's 454ci motor, as my crew and I scream out the song at the top of our lungs and toss the spent Coors cans out the window.

Last edit: 22 Nov 2017 05:36 by repoman.

More
22 Nov 2017 07:59 #258028 by hotseatgames
Yeah, it's a drag. We will soon lose more and more rock icons from the '70s and '80s. I saw them live back on the Blow Up Your Video tour. I think that might have been the most hot I have ever been; it had to be 120 degrees in the arena. Their liberal use of pyrotechnics didn't help. :)

More
22 Nov 2017 08:33 #258035 by Black Barney
How do you die from dementia other than driving your car into a wall?

More
22 Nov 2017 08:42 #258036 by hotseatgames
Your brain eventually just quits telling your body to keep working, if I'm correct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Nov 2017 08:57 #258039 by Sagrilarus

hotseatgames wrote: Your brain eventually just quits telling your body to keep working, if I'm correct.

A neighbor just went through it. It's not a pretty death by any means.

More
22 Nov 2017 09:25 #258044 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Malcom Young died Saturday
RIP

He got the Jack
And if he'd known what she was dealin' out
He'd have dealt it back

More
22 Nov 2017 09:38 #258051 by Black Barney

Sagrilarus wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: Your brain eventually just quits telling your body to keep working, if I'm correct.

A neighbor just went through it. It's not a pretty death by any means.

Ugh sounds terrible. But isn’t that more Alzheimer’s that does that? Tells the body to quit working ?

More
22 Nov 2017 10:33 #258064 by hotseatgames
Alzheimer's and dementia are two sides of the same coin, really.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Nov 2017 10:53 #258066 by Shellhead
Alzheimer's is a form of dementia. My mom is in stage seven of dementia, probably Alzheimer's, and she has difficulty swallowing food and even liquids now. My sister checked her into a hospice on November 1st, where they are keeping my mom comfortable with morphine. But her appetite is continuing to decline, and she will likely die sometime in December. She has been gradually succumbing to this over the last 10 years, and my sister has been living with her and taking care of her for the last 8 years.

It's sad that Malcolm Young died without great notice recently, but he was less famous and colorful than Angus. I've been reflecting on the fact that all these great musicians are passing away and they haven't really been replaced by equivalent stars in modern times. Maybe downloading cut deeply enough into the music industry that rock star isn't really a career for most musicians anymore. They can get by with a single and some constant touring for a while, but maybe it's hard for most to write good songs while touring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney, hotseatgames

More
22 Nov 2017 11:11 #258067 by hotseatgames
I'm sorry you are going through that with your mother. I lost my grandmother to this, and it's not something anyone should ever have to deal with. It's particularly cruel, in that the person you know and love dies long before the "new" person who is still inhabiting the body.

More
22 Nov 2017 11:36 #258070 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote: I've been reflecting on the fact that all these great musicians are passing away and they haven't really been replaced by equivalent stars in modern times.

There's been a huge change to the music industry in the last ten years, and it's not about how the product is delivered. It's about how it is produced. Big name acts now buy music kits, essentially a set of electronically produced music segments that you can cut and paste together and sing over top to produce a hit song. The lyrical aspect remains, but nobody is working in a studio to create their sound anymore. (And this is the biggies we're talking about -- Taylor Swift, Beyonce, the household names. The music comes to them in a zip file.)

The result is that you get a repeating riff with no variation whatsoever, no opportunity for a guy like Malcom Young to put a stamp on the sound. Malcom arguably had one of the most heavy, industrial sounds in the business, one that changed as the song progressed and gave you a reason to listen over and over to catch the subtlety of sounds. Even with an in-your-face band like AC/DC there was nuance that you could pick out in the sound.

That's not the business anymore. It's too expensive, too expensive to produce, takes too long, and it's too expensive to reproduce on tour in a live format. Everyone sounds like they're from Sweden now.

So I think you're looking at the end of an era, the opportunity for guys like Angus and Malcom Young to make a living in the business isn't available anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Cranberries

More
22 Nov 2017 11:42 #258071 by Cranberries
only semi-related: I've been listening to a Japanese Hip Hop producer who died in 2010 who went by Nujabes. When he died they found an unfinished album on his phone months later.

Our high school bus driver was a big classic rock guy, so I heard lots of AC/DC growing up. Back in Black was our football team's theme song. The basketball team used Psychedelic furs.

More
22 Nov 2017 14:01 #258088 by SuperflyPete

My grandfather died like this. His brain decided that swallowing isn’t something really important and so he lost the ability to swallow. Because he had a DNR order he died of emaciation

More
22 Nov 2017 14:04 #258091 by Black Barney
JESUS :( ... no wonder my mom has been actively looking into euthanasia

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds