October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Is "I Feel Love" the Most Important Song of the 1970s?

More
05 Jul 2017 22:19 #250913 by Hadik
All I can think about 1978 is that was the year Neil Young recorded Rust Never Sleeps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2017 09:34 #250919 by Sagrilarus
In hindsight I think the artists that go the distance are the ones that can reinvent themselves on a periodic basis. Queen did that a couple of times. When The Game came out it was absolutely reviled by Queen fans with the classic "they sold out" label applied to them by everyone under the age of 25. In the rearview mirror the album looks positively brilliant, a vanguard in Rock & Roll's troubled transition period from hanging out in Jamaica and listening to reggae (yech) to the higher-concept music of the 80s and MTV.

Bowie reinvented himself for each album more of less, at least into the early 80s. Really a chameleon.

The bands I listened to, Boston, Styx, Blue Oyster Cult, didn't change at all. Boston released four albums over 30 years and they all sound exactly alike. I really backed the wrong bands.

Penn Jillette says you shouldn't trust your judgement on music you first heard within three years plus or minus of your first blowjob. So late seventies/early eighties are a tough time for me to call. I Feel Love was certainly innovative for the time (note that Carlos and Murphy and their ilk were in the neighborhood doing a lot of stuff with synths at the time, so it's not a complete outlier) but relistening to it last night on the drive home the one word I came up with for it was "minimalist". River Deep -- Mountain High it ain't. It has really simple lines. The question becomes this -- was that the intention, or the result of limited budget, time and machinery?

More
06 Jul 2017 09:50 #250920 by Gregarius
I love disco now, although I am far from an aficionado. However, in my school in the 70s, it was definitely considered "uncool" to like it, so my experience is not revisionist.

What I find most amusing is how so many bands felt compelled to release a disco track. Obviously, there's the disco Star Wars theme remix, which still cracks me up, but also Eagle's "One of These Nights" and (I'm prepared to have rotten tomatoes hurled at me for this) Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)."

More
06 Jul 2017 11:36 #250930 by Colorcrayons

mutagen wrote:

It's well documented that a large part of the negative reaction to disco was homophobic

Nah man, that's totally revisionist. Back in the day, if you tuned into 10 stations, and that was absolutely the only way to listen to new music, 9 of them would be playing Disco. And half of that would be Donna Summer or the Brothers Gibb. Disco was a weed choking out the entire musical scene. If Disco crashed harder than most fades, it was only because it was so wildly successful. I rather doubt everybody just suddenly became homophobic, particularly since the AIDS scare was still a couple of years away. Besides, those of us in High school, and part of the "Fuck, not this shit again" anti-disco movement did not associate it with gays, but fat, sweaty, white males with too much jewelry and dacron. Disco just got old, like those desperate men in the dance clubs, and who the hell wants to dance to old man music.

I was quite young, but I recall a radio dj by the name of Steve Doll who headed most of the "disco sucks" crap on The Loop in Chicago at the time. Being so young, I naturally thought it was all his idea. All his motto.

My perspective on all this is a bit different than most I am seeing above. My dad was the only rock influence at the time, Floyd, frampton, steely Dan, Rush, Boston, Chicago, etc.
But living in the neighborhood that I did, disco was the "whitest" thing that you'd hear playing in the neighborhoods. Even that was dominated by Donna and not the bee gees in these areas.
I think my dad was too homophobic to appreciate ziggy stardust, sadly. Dad gave me some great musical influences, but he had his limits.
Earth wind and fire was likely the biggest and most listened to locally, not only because they were a black act, but also because they were from Chicago.
For me personally, I think the pinnacle of 70's disco was Michael Jackson's 'Don't stop 'til you get enough' from '79. How can anybody, even depressed, listen to this and not want to shake that thang? So god damned good.

More
06 Jul 2017 12:13 #250931 by Colorcrayons

Sagrilarus wrote: I Feel Love ...but relistening to it last night on the drive home the one word I came up with for it was "minimalist" The question becomes this -- was that the intention, or the result of limited budget, time and machinery?

I'd say it was the result of drugs.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds