October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Solo

More
05 Feb 2018 16:17 #262887 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Solo
Haven't watched the trailer (or the Super Bowl) but I'm sure I'll catch this when it hits video. At this point I'm going to treat the Star Wars Cinematic Universe the same as the Marvel one. I'll see the movies that interest me in the theater and maybe watch the others at home for free later on. Seems reasonable to me but I bet someone will tell me how I'm not a true Star Wars fan because I don't open my wallet every time Disney wants me to.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2018 16:40 #262891 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Solo
I thought maybe they were remaking the Mario Van Peebles vehicle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
05 Feb 2018 16:45 #262896 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Solo
I'm far more down for these one-off stories as opposed to the episodes, which have so far done nothing for me.

More
05 Feb 2018 17:05 - 05 Feb 2018 21:21 #262902 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Solo
When I was young I used to love reading spider-man comics. Stan Lee's tales of a meek, socially awkward individual being bestowed with great powers was intriguing. However, the character was _really_ popular so multiple monthly titles were pushed out. Far more tales than the character could reasonably handle... publishing demand outpaced creative output and the writers went 'off script' to meet the high volume of demand. The goal was no longer to tell good Spider-man stories, but to sell volumes of Spider-man comics.

Spider-man comics went gonzo.

He married a super model, was taken over by an alien, found out to be a clone, nope surprise...he wasn't!, made a deal with the devil, not married anymore!, etc. I may not have all these events in order and there are countless other dumb ideas that watered down the character to being nothing more than a superhero in a red and blue suit.

I fear Star Wars has arrived in the same place.

Lucas had a story to tell (Journal of the Whills?) that was pretty much the saga of the Skywalker family. Even waiting a decade and a half for the technology to get where he thought it needed to be to finish the tale. I'm not the biggest fan of the overall Skywalker saga and what it means, but I respect Lucas for having a vision and creating a cool little sci-fi fantasy. The OT is pretty good with A New Hope being fantastic.

But much like Marvel departing from Stan Lee's visions...Disney is going off the Lucas ranch, leaving behind the Skywalkers, and shifting focus to some dumb regular release schedule. The focus has shifted from telling good Star Wars stories...to selling Star Wars movies on a regular basis.

In the end, I think this is inevitable for any popular IP though. It's why I'm only really drawn to comics with focused story arcs, like Astro City, or shows with few, concise seasons. Too often fans unwillingness to move on and desire for more keep companies pushing unnecessary crap out (see also: New TMNT cartoon or hell, the Alien franchise). Let things lie and be. Create something new.

Was a big Star Wars fan as a kid. Now...I'm out.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2018 21:21 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, Colorcrayons, stoic, Gregarius, Nodens

More
05 Feb 2018 17:16 #262905 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Solo

MattDP wrote:

Josh Look wrote: I don’t get fucking Star Wars fans anymore.

Up until this point, I thought this was a thread about a solitaire game I hadn't heard of.

I thought it was about cups and how beer pong was having a Renaissance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, stoic

More
05 Feb 2018 17:49 #262909 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Solo
I think the actor looks a bit old, but that's not a big deal.

My favorite part is that the Millineum Falcon is brand new -- looks so clean.

More
05 Feb 2018 18:17 #262911 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Solo
I like that it suggests that Han ran it into the ground. There is probably an old Max Rebo cassette and a rotten bottle of blue milk stuck up under the pilot’s chair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
05 Feb 2018 19:37 #262914 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Solo
The reason I can't get behind that you're saying, Jeff White, is that the least related to the core story, the clone wars and rebels stories, are the best. Ashoka Tano is the best Star Wars character created since the original series so... I dunno. I get what you're saying but there's also opportunity once you break far, far away from the core characters and arc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
05 Feb 2018 19:49 #262919 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Solo

Mr. White wrote: Let things lie and be. Create something new.

Was a big Star Wars fan as a kid. Now...I'm out.

This was me. The Last Jedi pulled me back in.

Solo is prolly going to suck, though. Might sit that one out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
05 Feb 2018 20:13 - 05 Feb 2018 20:59 #262922 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Solo

Gary Sax wrote: The reason I can't get behind that you're saying, Jeff White, is that the least related to the core story, the clone wars and rebels stories, are the best. Ashoka Tano is the best Star Wars character created since the original series so... I dunno. I get what you're saying but there's also opportunity once you break far, far away from the core characters and arc.

That may be, but I think Clone Wars and Rebels would have been great under any setting. Strong writing and characters in a wartorn, sci-fi universe...those are the succesful traits. The Star Wars brand isn't really necessary (less focus on skywalkers), only from a marketing standpoint.

Kraven's Last Hunt is my favorite story with Spider-man in it...but it's not a great Spider-man story...if that makes sense. The theme was identity and obsession, but plenty of hero/villain combinations could have been used to tell the same tale.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2018 20:59 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Feb 2018 20:42 #262924 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Solo
I hope the Guardians of the Galaxy make an appearance in this one too!

No but seriously do you think the timeline might line up with the Falcon docking at Corusant like we see in the prequels?

More
05 Feb 2018 20:56 #262925 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Solo

Michael Barnes wrote: I like that it suggests that Han ran it into the ground. There is probably an old Max Rebo cassette and a rotten bottle of blue milk stuck up under the pilot’s chair.

Exactly. It goes from black and white to tan and gray

More
06 Feb 2018 09:02 #262948 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Solo

Black Barney wrote: I hope the Guardians of the Galaxy make an appearance in this one too!

No but seriously do you think the timeline might line up with the Falcon docking at Corusant like we see in the prequels?

gosh I hope so. nothing makes a movie like unimportant details that give boners to fanboys
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

More
06 Feb 2018 09:07 #262949 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Solo

Legomancer wrote:

Black Barney wrote: I hope the Guardians of the Galaxy make an appearance in this one too!

gosh I hope so. nothing makes a movie like unimportant details that give boners to fanboys

More
07 Feb 2018 00:07 #263078 by Mr. White
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds