October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Lord of the Rings prequel TV show

More
14 Nov 2017 15:56 #257632 by Msample

RobertB wrote: Msample wrote:

We’re not gonna see Silmarillion stuff, the Tolkien estate won’t license that. Plenty of stuff to mine from the appendices of Lord of the Rings though.

Do you think that the rights to the appendices in Lord of the Rings went with the trilogy? Not a rhetorical question. We need our resident lawyer on the case. I know that stuff in the back of LotR is even dryer than The Silmarillion, and I didn't think that was possible.

Some of it was already used in the movies , such as the attack on Dol Guldor, the Isildur stuff, Gollums origins, the Dwarves v Orc battle outside Moria.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2017 15:56 #257633 by jason10mm
Wasn't it like 200-250 MILLION just for the RIGHTS to this deal, not including the actual show? I gotta think this allows amazon access to EVERYTHING JRR ever wrote. What else would cost that much? This has got to be the Silmarillion and everything else.

Though I bet this will be the Aragorn/Gandalf power hour, what else could get people to watch?

More
14 Nov 2017 17:11 #257641 by Hex Sinister
The tale of Túrin could be quite excellent.

Middle Earth: CRIBS EP1 ft. Lobelia Sackville-Baggins. Special feature - Mouth of Sauron reacts to new mithril grill and swimming pool adorned with the skulls of Ithilien dead.

More
15 Nov 2017 12:12 #257684 by Shellhead
Here are 20 shows that I would rather watch than a Lord of the Rings prequel series:
  • the Amber series, by Roger Zelazny
  • the Fafhrd & Gray Mouser series, by Fritz Lieber
  • the Sprawl trilogy, by William Gibson
  • the Books of Swords, by Fred Saberhagen
  • the Budayeen Cycle, by George Alec Effinger
  • the Elric series, by Michael Moorcock
  • the Riverworld series, by Philip Jose Farmer
  • the World of Tiers series, by Philip Jose Farmer
  • the Well World series, by Jack Chalker
  • the Sandman Slim series, by Richard Kadrey
  • the Gentlemen Bastard sequence, by Scott Lynch
  • the Black Company series, by Glen Cook
  • the Wild Cards series, edited by George R.R. Martin
  • the Book of the New Sun, by Gene Wolfe
  • the Takeshi Kovacs books, by Richard K. Morgan
  • the Ringworld series, by Larry Niven
  • the Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, by Barry Hughart
  • the Hyperion Cantos, by Dan Simmons
  • the Dying Earth books, by Jack Vance
  • the Conan books, by Robert E. Howard
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, RobertB, Frohike

More
15 Nov 2017 14:03 #257687 by southernman
Well I've spotted your problem straight away - I've heard of only a few of them so that makes the audience pool probably extremely small.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Black Barney

More
15 Nov 2017 14:40 #257690 by Shellhead

Southernman wrote: Well I've spotted your problem straight away - I've heard of only a few of them so that makes the audience pool probably extremely small.

Most adult Americans read one or zero books per year, but that doesn't stop Hollywood from making tv shows and movies based on books, like say American Gods. Or comic books, like say The Walking Dead. Speaking of The Walking Dead, writer Robert Kirkman has left that show to go work on an Amber tv show. The Takeshi Kovacs books are currently being developed into a Netflix tv show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
15 Nov 2017 19:47 #257704 by Michael Barnes
the Book of the New Sun, by Gene Wolfe

With all due respect, if this were pitched to a TV executive, you would be told to fuck right on off! There is no way a mainstream audience could handle this. Would there be a full episode that is presented as a folklore myth but is actually an abstracted description of an ancient space battle but this is not explictly explained at all?

That said, you get Alejandro Jodorowsky on board as showrunner and I will personally finance up to $1000 of the production budget.

As much as I love LOTR because I am a good person, New Sun is to my mind the greatest fantasy novel ever written.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
15 Nov 2017 21:28 - 15 Nov 2017 21:29 #257707 by Frohike
I would be interested to see an adaptation of Gene Wolfe's Peace that somehow preserves the unreliable narrator and perhaps some of the hallucinatory shifts with a directorial style similar to Darren Aronofsky's in mother!
Last edit: 15 Nov 2017 21:29 by Frohike.

More
15 Nov 2017 22:06 - 15 Nov 2017 22:06 #257708 by Michael Barnes
Heh, yeah...that's the other thing. One of the many incredible things about Book of the New Sun is that the whole thing is from the perspective of a character who claims to have a perfect, infallible memory...but doesn't. And he also describes things solely from his frame of reference, which makes for some interesting interpretations of things that are never explictly described. I have no idea how you'd show that.

The last time I was reading this I was on a plane. A guy saw that I was reading it and asked me "how many times have you read it?"- not the usual question you ask someone in that situation. So I knew he totally understood.

I started reading it again tonight.

Peace I found really difficult...but yeah, I can see Aronofsky on that.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2017 22:06 by Michael Barnes.

More
15 Nov 2017 22:36 #257711 by Shellhead
It's been about 20 years since I read the Book(s) of the New Sun, but certain searing images linger. I have read other Gene Wolfe books in recent years, and he still loves using an unreliable narrator, though he is better at nailing the endings now.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.515 seconds