October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Blade runner 2049...some thoughts...

More
12 Oct 2017 22:27 #255629 by Gary Sax
And the Soviet Union's survival.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2017 09:49 #255647 by Michael Barnes
Do you know I even got misty-eyed at seeing the name "Bud Yorkin" on screen? I might have bawled at the Ladd Company tree.

You know something that people often forget? Blade Runner is, by proxy, a SHAW BROTHERS film. They co-produced it, it is the same Sir Run Run Shaw that gave us 36 Chambers of Shaolin and Five Deadly Venoms.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feelitmon

More
14 Oct 2017 15:53 #255720 by Ancient_of_MuMu
As I said in the What Movies thread, I had the same reaction to this as Tron Legacy. Almost amazing for the first hour and then within minutes I just got bored and lost all respect I had for it. There is a lot of stuff that is done right, but so much is bad, the few good ideas thrown away or not explored, too much unnecessary skin (this really bugged me for some reason).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
14 Oct 2017 16:51 #255723 by hotseatgames
I haven't been through this thread yet, since I avoided it before I saw the movie. Which I just saw...

I loved it. I felt like it was an appropriate follow-up to Blade Runner, and was gorgeous to look at, and the world was fully realized. I had previously thought Deckard was a replicant, but this movie certainly shoots that theory in the head.

More
14 Oct 2017 19:45 #255728 by Black Barney
If Harrison Ford gets shot in the head in this movie, I'm going to be upset in that moment now

More
14 Oct 2017 20:22 #255730 by Feelitmon
Just saw it today and really liked it. I'm still processing it though, and will be for a while. Visually and aurally it was amazing, and I think the story was better than the original Blade Runner's.

Anyway, like I said I'm still processing it. One detail that I like is that the sequel does not definitively answer the "is Deckard a replicant" question! Certainly Wallace claims that Deckard is, but that's during a scene where he's trying to manipulate Deckard, so it's unreliable. Ultimately this reinforces what I think is one of the main themes of both films: IT DOESN'T MATTER. I think my favorite bit of dialogue in the first movie is when Rachel is at the piano and explains to Deckard that she remembers taking piano lessons, but that those are no doubt implanted memories. Deckard replies perfectly, "You play beautifully." Are we real? Are we the perceiver, or the one who perceives the perceiver? Do we have free will?

We play beautifully.

More
15 Oct 2017 19:03 #255749 by Shellhead
I went in with restrained expectations, as word of mouth has been uneven about Blade Runner 2049. Overall, I was extremely impressed by the quality of this movie, and that it was not a shallow sequel that merely moves around the pieces of the original. I cynically recognized almost immediately the nature of the opening scene, but after that, I didn't know exactly where the movie was headed and enjoyed the ride. I'm grateful that there wasn't a conscious effort to map all the memorable characters from the first movie onto this one. I wasn't looking for a Roy Batty, I'm glad that there wasn't one, and I fail to see the need for some to compare him with Niander Wallace, who is a completely different character. The acting was great, the casting was great, the script was lean but effective, and the story was solid. The cinematography was beautiful even when the scenery was ugly.

What was similar about the two movies was the ability to capture the essence of the writing of Philip K. Dick. He had a dark view of life, and a near obsession with epistemology. Both movies are deliberate meditations on the meaning of life, sentience, and death, punctuated by stunning visuals and moments of grave brutality. Where another sequel might arise from a compulsive deconstruction of the original, this one instead went back to the same deep well of Dick's writing for inspiration.

The one jarring element in my viewing was the special Dolby format that I experienced. The local stadium seating theater only offered one normal viewing today, at a time that didn't suit my schedule. Most of the other showings were either IMAX or 3D, and I am not a fan of either. So I saw it in Dolby HD or somesuch, which meant that the colors were rendered beautifully and the black was deeper than normal black in a theater. And that was all great, but the experience also called for an overpowered sound system with many speakers cranked to 11. Sometimes, the sound was amazing. That scene with Joi in the rain sounded like I was outside in actual rain. Other times, the theater was literally shaking like an earthquake from the overblown bass of the speakers.

After the movie, the transition back to reality was a bit surreal, because the theater was fairly new, and many of the design touches would have fit seamlessly into the nicer parts of the Blade Runner setting. I reflected upon this while turning back on my iPhone and watching somebody else fiddling with their device.

Like Barnes, I experienced some tears during this movie. Apparently I was triggered by subtle cues and deep nostalgia, because the only time I was consciously aware that the movie was prodding me for an emotional reaction like that was at the very end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Oct 2017 19:14 #255750 by hotseatgames

Michael Barnes wrote: You know what one of the most awesome pieces of minutiae is in this movie? There was a PAN AM building. I love how that teeny little detail sets the film in the timeline of the 1982 original.

Let alone that Atari had a gigantic sign.

My girlfriend and I loved that they had a "future" bottle of Johnny Walker Black. They should absolutely sell that shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
15 Oct 2017 19:54 #255753 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I think the whole historical blackout thing epitomizes the film for me. The blackout was illogical in what it did to the world (eg erasing all digital records, completely restructuring society), was introduced as a big plot point, maybe hinting that the reasons for it were more sinister, and then was just forgotten and made irrelevant to the ongoing plot.

More
15 Oct 2017 20:04 #255754 by Black Barney

hotseatgames wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: You know what one of the most awesome pieces of minutiae is in this movie? There was a PAN AM building. I love how that teeny little detail sets the film in the timeline of the 1982 original.

Let alone that Atari had a gigantic sign.

My girlfriend and I loved that they had a "future" bottle of Johnny Walker Black. They should absolutely sell that shit.

Agreed. And every time somebody complains it's not that good, you remind that idiot you're not supposed to drink it until 2049
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
21 Oct 2017 22:33 - 22 Oct 2017 01:07 #256152 by Sevej
This movie, like its predecessor, is the kind of unique sci-fi that ends up having you feeling it rather than understanding it. It's not that it doesn't explain itself good enough, but it does feel stronger on the emotional level. It's suitably slow paced to let everything sinks. The music was not on the original's level, but it's amazing on some scenes.

Warning: Spoiler!

I could say a lot of it, but really, it's a bit too much to digest in one go.

My only complaint is that there's way too much replicants. That diminishes the movie a bit to me.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2017 01:07 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds