October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Firefly Reboot Greenlighted by Fox

More
09 Feb 2017 21:05 #243729 by stoic
Fox says they'll greenlight a Firefly reboot if Joss Whedon signs onto the project.

comicbook.com/2017/02/09/fox-will-move-f...ot-on-one-condition/

Is Joss Whedon too big now to do another tv show?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2017 21:30 #243730 by Disgustipater
As much as I enjoyed Firefly and Serenity, it's time to let it go.

Let it go.

More
09 Feb 2017 21:47 #243732 by Gary Sax
^same.

Be a little bit more creative. At least set another show in the same universe or something.

More
09 Feb 2017 22:22 #243733 by Feelitmon
I've never heard of this show, so I read up on it a little bit after reading your post, OP. I don't know, the characters sort of sound like rip-offs of the crew of the Betty from Alien: Resurrection. The show Dark Matter that's playing on Syfy right now seems to have already covered this storytelling terrain pretty well too.

More
09 Feb 2017 22:49 #243735 by Shellhead

Feelitmon wrote: I've never heard of this show, so I read up on it a little bit after reading your post, OP. I don't know, the characters sort of sound like rip-offs of the crew of the Betty from Alien: Resurrection. The show Dark Matter that's playing on Syfy right now seems to have already covered this storytelling terrain pretty well too.

Hah. Joss Whedon was one of the writers of Alien: Resurrection, early in his career. And I've been saying for years that the crew of the Betty seems like a dark version of the cast of Firefly.

By coincidence, I just started re-watching Firefly this week, for probably the sixth time. I have mixed feelings about this reboot news, because I feel like the original cast had a special chemistry together, and it is unlikely that a reboot will capture that feeling. Might be better to have a completely different crew operating a different Firefly-class ship in the same setting as the original show. It's too bad that Fox couldn't have made this decision more than a decade ago, when the original cast was all still alive and relatively young.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
09 Feb 2017 23:26 #243736 by Colorcrayons
1: Fox are run by retards, as evidenced by the cancellation, and ignore the immense cult fan base, even when they gave it a movie.

2: Joss has moved on. This isn't the first time this would have happened if all concerned were on the same page.

3: Wash and Book are dead, and Ron Glass is recently deceased in real life. Book had many interesting, yet obvious questions about his character, but they won't be answered with him participating. To make matters more complicated, Jayne is likely to be done too, due to Adam Baldwin and his involvement in Gamergate. He is persona non grata.

4: The story has been continuing in comic form for a while now. Even Patton Oswalt contributes.

5: There is supposed to be an animated series continuing the story soon.

If this does return, it won't be much like it was. I want more Firefly, but I kinda think the time has passed. Sad to say, as I really do love the show.

And I agree that alien resurrection was the precursor and much darker sibling of firefly.

More
10 Feb 2017 09:06 #243741 by Legomancer
just reboot the hat scene and the dinosaurs scene and they'll be good for another 15 years

More
10 Feb 2017 09:12 #243742 by san il defanso
I've always thought that the only thing worse than complaining about Firefly being cancelled early would be the inevitable complaining about any new episodes that might eventually come. I keep thinking of Arrested Development, how so many fans were disappointed by the fourth season. I thought it was alright, but it would have been just fine to leave it.

Just...be careful what you wish for. The only long-departed TV show comeback that I can think of that actually worked was Doctor Who.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Feb 2017 09:24 #243744 by jpat

stoic wrote: Fox says they'll greenlight a Firefly reboot if Joss Whedon signs onto the project.

Long after the window has closed, Fox shifts blame for no new "Firefly" to Wheedon
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
10 Feb 2017 09:49 #243748 by Msample

san il defanso wrote: Just...be careful what you wish for. The only long-departed TV show comeback that I can think of that actually worked was Doctor Who.

Battlestar Galactica
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, jpat, stoic, Jauron

More
10 Feb 2017 10:58 #243750 by san il defanso

Msample wrote:

san il defanso wrote: Just...be careful what you wish for. The only long-departed TV show comeback that I can think of that actually worked was Doctor Who.

Battlestar Galactica

I thought of that, but it's really more of a complete remake rather than a continuation. Maybe that's the key. Even Star Trek has done well with this. Continuing with the same characters after a long hiatus really requires a chemistry that probably isn't there anymore. Doing something entirely new is probably a higher risk, but continuity creates expectations of quality that are probably very unfair. Even Doctor Who used the Time War to basically clear the decks before the new show started.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Colorcrayons

More
10 Feb 2017 13:59 #243759 by Shellhead
I realize that movie scenes aren't always shot in the same order as the final cut of the movie, but it seemed like the opening scenes of the Serenity movie might have been filmed first, because the actors seemed to struggle in those scenes with the Whedonesque dialogue. Then they were fine for the rest of the movie.

More
10 Feb 2017 14:04 #243760 by stoic
I think the ship has sailed on this one....

But, like a few others, I'm in the optimistic "BSG camp" since it's an example of rebooting a show that was long dead (except for that dreadful last season of BSG).

More
10 Feb 2017 14:47 #243763 by Msample
Speaking of BSG, Richard Hatch passed away earlier this week.

www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/richard-hat...1395e4b04061313a79eb
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
10 Feb 2017 16:09 #243770 by Legomancer

At least, for a while.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds