October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

ALIEN: Covenant

More
30 Dec 2016 13:39 #241560 by Hex Sinister
ALIEN: Covenant was created by Hex Sinister
Huh, I dunno...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, engineer Al, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2016 14:09 #241562 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic ALIEN: Covenant
Maybe. Seems like a good cast.

More
30 Dec 2016 14:13 - 30 Dec 2016 14:13 #241564 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic ALIEN: Covenant
Other than Michael Fassbender mugging at the camera this doesn't look like it follows up on Prometheus at all. Yeah I get that most everyone hated that movie and will hate on this too, but I wanted to see what happened to the woman and robot's head going to the engineers homeworld. Is Fassbender in this a different robot that just looks the same?
Last edit: 30 Dec 2016 14:13 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
30 Dec 2016 14:57 #241566 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic ALIEN: Covenant
Speaking as someone that liked Prometheus...this looks stupid.

It is time to face up to the facts, we are never getting Aliens II. Oddly, Avatar is as close as we've come.

More
30 Dec 2016 15:17 #241568 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic ALIEN: Covenant
I haven't watched the trailer yet (no audio on my work computer), but this movie should be better than Prometheus because Damon Lindelof is out of the picture. He was busy botching Passengers.

More
30 Dec 2016 15:19 #241569 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic ALIEN: Covenant
Weird.

Sigourney weaver is supposed to be in an upcoming aliens movie that should be part 5 of the series. I guess its being shelved until this has had its run?

It's intriguing, but doesn't offer much for the fan who wonders where and how the hell this fits into the universe and timeline.

Its like it jumped from the statement about prometheus "This isn't an aliens movie" to "well yeah duh it's an aliens movie, see the title?"

Confused and a bit disheartened, but still intrigued.

More
30 Dec 2016 15:56 #241572 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic ALIEN: Covenant
Most people here probably don't want to know what I think of that.

More
30 Dec 2016 16:09 #241575 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic ALIEN: Covenant
I do.

I just found out about this last week as I ran into a movie poster while going to see Manchester by the Sea. In case you don't know , the Alien franchise is by far my favourite movie franchise. More than Star Wars. Although Rogue One going dark was pretty incredible.

Let's stop thinking it's going to be like Aliens. Ridley Scott isn't going to ever show that James Cameron's vision was superior or on par with his own. So he'll never make a movie like that, he'll want to make something very scary and this trailer supports that.

Anyway the poster showed the alien in the shower shot, coming out of the darkness and all you see is the front of its face, teeth glistening and that creepy drool everywhere. I point out the poster to my aunt, "omg, what's that?!? A new Alien movie ??". She looks at the poster and says, "yuck.". I wanted to blow her out of the goddamn airlock.

Look, Ridley Scott is no George Lucas, I think he will actually learn from the mistakes of Prometheus and make this movie more scary than stupid. I'm as cynical as the next guy but I'm really hopeful and optimistic about this. I haven’t looked at the screenwriters though. Nothing is more telling than that. I hope they didn't get those garbage guys that dud Assassin's Creed.

My only sense of worry from the trailer was the shower scene. It's a little too Friday the 13th in terms of traditional scary/horror. I hope it's not much more of that.

More
30 Dec 2016 18:48 #241585 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic ALIEN: Covenant
I got excited about Prometheus and really wanted to like it, but didn't. I was hoping the followup -- this -- would follow on to help Prometheus make more sense, but it looks like not. So I'm not getting excited about this one unless the reviews are A+++.

More
30 Dec 2016 19:05 #241587 by Black Barney
who;s playing the captain? I like that actor.

Anyone notice the font for the title is the same as the first Alien?

This is the most a face hugger has ever looked like a vagina too. They're not even trying to hide it now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
30 Dec 2016 19:56 - 30 Dec 2016 19:56 #241592 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic ALIEN: Covenant
It is going to be hard watching Danny McBride in a non-comedic role. Or maybe it will be one?

Black Barney wrote: Who's playing the captain? I like that actor.

Billy Crudup
Last edit: 30 Dec 2016 19:56 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 Jan 2017 21:52 #242033 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic ALIEN: Covenant
I talk with Josh Look about this a whole lot over at the Wolfman's Lounge:

wolfmanslounge.com/2017/01/08/trailer-thoughts-alien-covenant/

Neither of us came away thinking the movie was gonna be any damn good. It sure looks pretty, but I certainly won't be there opening night. To be honest, I'm still pissed that Fox scrapped Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 movie in favor of this nonsense.

I think Prometheus was a beautifully shot movie, with good intentions. The overall execution was, um...not good. Alien: Covenant looks to be this awkward thing that is supposed to bridge the Alien franchise to Prometheus and frankly that is a story I have zero interest in. I don't want to learn more about the xenomorphs, where they came from, or what every, little, fucking, thing in Alien was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
09 Jan 2017 09:41 #242056 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic ALIEN: Covenant
You guys kill me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
09 Jan 2017 14:17 #242102 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic ALIEN: Covenant
I actually felt relieved when Blomkamp was off Alien.
He's a very talented cinematographer, but an immature director and storyteller. He is so focused on getting out a social message that it gets ridiculous and counterproductive. I mean, of course an Alien movie should touch on the evil of big corporations, but it shouldn't be about it, and with Blomkamp we'd surely get the social message first and foremost, a couple of gritty-looking shoot-outs to advance the plot, and maybe a little Alien here and there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
09 Jan 2017 14:26 #242104 by Black Barney
I think if the movie was JUST about the aliens, it wouldn't be interesting enough. It's just survival (see: Predators). I think the idea of a profit-driven corporation trying to obtain a new military asset is pretty realistic and believable and far more of a threat than a bunch of animals, "You know Burke, i don't know which species is worse"

They explored a bunch of storylines in the comic books and the ones where you just had dudes ending up on an alien-infested world were pretty boring. It was much better when you had corporations trying to find ways of harvesting the eggs, or royal jelly or any of the other stuff that need to turn a profit. When the AvP thing finally got opened up, it was neat how the predators were using the aliens and eggs to creating hunting grounds. I think a 3rd party is desperately needed to keep things interesting. Weyland trying to find the fountain of youth was pretty stupid in Prometheus. I hope they do better in Revenant. I imagine David's motives will be suspect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.387 seconds