October 09, 2023
2607 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2807 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Indiana Jones 5

More
15 Mar 2016 17:12 #224398 by Grudunza
Indiana Jones 5 was created by Grudunza
Indy 5 announced for July 2019, with Spielberg directing and Ford starring (he'll be 77 when it opens).

I'm hopeful, as they have something to prove after Crystal Skull, and Lucas is not involved. And this is almost certainly Ford's last crack at the role.

I suspect there will be some kind of parallel storyline, with Indy older in the 60's and younger in the 30's/40's, with Chris Pratt or someone taking over the role. I actually hope it isn't Pratt (someone like Ryan Gosling or McConaughey would be better), but I think that kind of premise would work to keep it going forward.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2016 18:54 #224404 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Indiana Jones 5
Well, I didn't hate Crystal Skull as much as a lot of folks did (even though I just realized that I only watched it that one time in the theater), but I do hope that Spielberg learns from The Force Awakens...get back to the roots.

And don't cast Shia Lebouef.

More
15 Mar 2016 19:20 #224408 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Indiana Jones 5
I liked Crystal Skull better on DVD a couple years later. It's still IJ in all the same ways, just not as good as the others.

I think there's a bar set by that, and a different kind of expectation from fans now. People had the same feeling going into Crystal Skull as with Phantom Menace, like, hey, it's more Indiana Jones/Star Wars!! I'm sure it'll be awesome!! And then they weren't, or at least not *as* awesome in the case of Crystal Skull. This time, people are more wary, and the production team knows they need to deliver something outstanding.

More
15 Mar 2016 19:44 - 15 Mar 2016 19:45 #224410 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Indiana Jones 5
I maintain that Crystal Skull was a good idea but they did a bad job. Transitioning from colonial pulp to Cold War paranoia---and paralleling that with a roswellish alien story--- was a bold move they just did not go far enough with. Ford was/is old, and changing the series core style was necessary to continue the series. If anything, I think they didn't go far enough in making it different from its predecessors.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2016 19:45 by Gary Sax.

More
15 Mar 2016 19:51 #224412 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Indiana Jones 5
None of them have been as good as Raiders and I very much doubt this will be different.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer

More
15 Mar 2016 20:07 #224415 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Indiana Jones 5
How is a 77 year old Indiana Jones going to work exactly? I suppose he could hit the Nazis with his cane and give them a real talking to.

Thank God Bogart's dead.

More
15 Mar 2016 21:59 #224420 by MacDirk Diggler
Replied by MacDirk Diggler on topic Indiana Jones 5
It would be cool if Harrison Ford could fight Adam Driver on a bridge and get run through with a sword.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, Jason Lutes

More
16 Mar 2016 09:21 #224432 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Indiana Jones 5
I hope there's a love triangle in this one

More
16 Mar 2016 09:32 - 16 Mar 2016 09:33 #224434 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Indiana Jones 5
I'm very pro-Indy 5. Love the whole series, KotCS included. I've been avoiding the Internet since the announcement, I simply don't have the heart to read slew of negative comments that I'm sure are going around from the spoiled, entitled pack of cynical douchebags too afraid to break away from the hive mentality. Fucking savages ruin everything, I can't do it anymore.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2016 09:33 by Josh Look.

More
16 Mar 2016 10:17 #224437 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Indiana Jones 5
They just need to cast a new guy. This could go 20 movies like the serials that the original paid homage to.

Heck, they could branch off three or four more lead characters like Marvel is doing, set in the 20s, 30s and 40s and all knowing each other. It's about as good as a genre can get for that kind of thing.

Ford won't be part of that though. It's just shy of 35 years since the first played the part.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Mar 2016 11:06 #224446 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Indiana Jones 5
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 2 out of 4 times, shame on... me, probably, but you are also somewhat at fault here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius

More
16 Mar 2016 11:25 #224450 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Indiana Jones 5

Gary Sax wrote: I maintain that Crystal Skull was a good idea but they did a bad job. Transitioning from colonial pulp to Cold War paranoia---and paralleling that with a roswellish alien story--- was a bold move they just did not go far enough with. Ford was/is old, and changing the series core style was necessary to continue the series. If anything, I think they didn't go far enough in making it different from its predecessors.

I totally agree.

More
16 Mar 2016 12:22 #224451 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Indiana Jones 5
I was all for Chris Pratt taking over.

More
16 Mar 2016 12:31 #224452 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Indiana Jones 5
I have low expectations. Only the first and third movies in this series were great. While it seems like Ford's age is a huge issue, I'm sure that has already been taken into account by Spielberg and won't be a problem. Bringing back Shia LeBeouf would be a mistake, because that guy is a lousy actor and a worse human being. It seems obvious that they should bring in a younger actor to play Indy's son or else a young version of Indy, but maybe it would have been better to go the Bond route and just cast somebody different as Jones and run with it.

More
16 Mar 2016 13:11 #224453 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Indiana Jones 5
I've always been a huge Indy fan. I'm one of the few people I know that also really likes the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. I think a 5th movie is a bad idea. I'll still see it, but my expectations will be very low.

I agree with Gary that the transition attempted in Crystal Skull was probably the right idea, but that movie is just terrible. And not just a "bad Indiana Jones" movie, but a bad movie all around. There have always been goofy, unrealistic elements in the IJ movies, but Crystal Skull is so over the top AND crams it in your face. While watching it, I kept waffling between angry and sad. There are some movies where I expect to be assaulted by stupidity; this one surprised me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds