October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
18 Dec 2017 09:48 #259253 by Nodens
Good Behaviour, if you missed the recommendation upthread, is seriously good. Not only is it gritty and witty, it's also a really fun and smart show about some serious family stuff. Like the lovechild of Modern Family and the Sopranos, if that's an endorsement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2017 12:44 - 19 Dec 2017 12:45 #259325 by Joebot

repoman wrote: The second show is also on Netflix and it's The Last Kingdom based on the books by Bernard Cornwall. It's the story of England in the late 9th Century and the struggles between the Vikings and the Saxons for the control of England. The first season was really great though I think the season finale was a bit weak. Second season doesn't seem to be stacking up as well but I'll stick with it. The lead character is a bit John Snow without the emo pouty face crap. And Ubba the Viking was a terrifying individual.

I love The Last Kingdom! The second season gets stronger as it goes along. A couple of the early episodes struggle with setting up some of the new characters, like the new slave-turned-king guy. I also HIGHLY recommend the books. They're fantastic. Uhtred is a really fun protagonist. He fucks up constantly because of his temper and his arrogance, but you just can't help root for him anyway.

I like The Last Kingdom quite a bit more than Vikings, which has devolved into boring political melodrama in recent seasons, and seems to have forgotten that it's a show about, you know ... vikings. I was so bored, I could barely make it through the season premiere a couple of weeks ago. Turns out that Ragnar's sons aren't nearly as interesting as Ragnar. I may be done with this show.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2017 12:45 by Joebot.

More
19 Dec 2017 18:05 #259347 by SuperflyPete
Zoo. Horrible, bad show.
New Girl. Really funny and sweet.
Limitless: Rad AF and I’m salty it’s been cancelled.
The Wire: Season 1 was way better than Season 2. Not sure I’ll continue watching it.

More
19 Dec 2017 18:23 #259348 by barrowdown
But season 3 and 4 are the best seasons of the Wire. The only rough season to me was the final one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Dec 2017 18:25 #259349 by Shellhead

SuperflyTNT wrote: Zoo. Horrible, bad show.
New Girl. Really funny and sweet.
Limitless: Rad AF and I’m salty it’s been cancelled.
The Wire: Season 1 was way better than Season 2. Not sure I’ll continue watching it.

If you liked Season 1 of The Wire, you need to see Season 3, because that focuses on a lot of the hanging threads involving the Barksdale and Bell case. Season 4 is considered the best season by many viewers. Season 5 is shorter and not as good as any of the previous seasons, but is still better than most seasons of any shows on tv.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Dec 2017 18:35 #259350 by Gary Sax
I think season 2 ages well once you've seen the whole series but I remember being ambivalent upon first viewing too.

I would definitely stick with it if you liked season 1.

1: Drug trade
2: Drug distribution
3: politics
4: schools and public services
5: news

Five is the only dud.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
19 Dec 2017 20:37 #259354 by SuperflyPete
Based on the Gentlemen from Texas and Minnesota, I will persevere.

More
19 Dec 2017 21:38 - 19 Dec 2017 21:39 #259358 by Gary Sax
Arizona now!
Last edit: 19 Dec 2017 21:39 by Gary Sax.

More
20 Dec 2017 10:21 #259377 by repoman
Just burned through all six episodes of season 1 of The Detectorists. I know Mad Dog has recommended it up thread but allow me to second his opinion. This show is great with tons of dry wit that I just adore. Just the few bars of Sounds of Silence in the soundtrack when Simon and Garfunkle show up cracks me up.

Season 1 was so complete with such a great ending that I'm reluctant to start season 2 in fear of being disappointed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Cranberries

More
20 Dec 2017 11:58 #259385 by Gary Sax
Season 2 just as great, have no fear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, JEM

More
25 Dec 2017 10:23 #259586 by Jexik
Although i guess it's a documentary, but since it was on netflix, I'll put it here. Started watching "The Toys that Made Us." Only got halfway through the first episode, which is appropriately about Star Wars and the marriage of Lucas and Kenner. What a crazy story! Lucas knew going in that he wanted to sell toys. Which brings me to a couple ideas.

1. Adult Star Wars fans are kind of idiots- we should gauge the success of the films by kids' reactions.
2. Holy cow. 1977 was one hell of inflection point on pop culture. We went from Taxi Driver and Dirty Harry to Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher?! This is the reason we have Infinity War coming out. Paradigm shift from Ken and Barbie to Luke and Leia. Took time, but we're here now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
26 Dec 2017 00:14 #259596 by Cranberries
I started watching "The Good Place" with 69-year-old Sam Malone. It's kind of dumb fun, but I keep coming across hints that it turns awesome at some point.

More
26 Dec 2017 17:07 #259614 by __
Replied by __ on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
Ha, just watched an episode of the Toys thing on Netflix. The He Man one, fucking fantastic, those old guys are amazing, would love to sit and drink with those guys. Makes such a wonderful contrast to the clips I'd seen the other day of Lucas and his buttlicking cronies (for the prequel era especially), ha HeMan kicked ass, thats what its all about, none of this overblown pompous attempt for a deep and rich world building story (which is nonsensical and comically limited in scope anyway), kind of reminds me of a trashdome between Heroscape and Warhammer or something. One with its comedy serious names and lore and overwrought nonsense, the other just throw weird ass monsters into a big pot and have at it. Roger Sweet was great, that guy is still sneaking round the back for a spliff on his coffee breaks for sure. Bong!
Also liked the matchup with the girls department later on in the show, ah the twinkle in those eyes, a perfect demonstration of the difference between men and women in so many ways, haha, we are just dumb ass children who never grow up and they tolerate us for some bizarre reason haha. It showed also a great example of just that perfect storm of culture and creation but then desparately trying to hang on to a moment in time that passed, my god that movie, I'd forgotten how awful it was and how cool it could have been! I'd be well up for a modern special effects HeMan movie but theres no way in todays climate it wouldnt be fucked up by someone wanting to rewrite their own spin on stuff and trying to be too clever.
My god, those thighs on the Evil Lyn toy. I might have to buy one. For my kid of course.

More
26 Dec 2017 18:08 #259620 by Shellhead
Finally started watching Game of Thrones. I first started reading the books way back in 1998, and I've been a fan of George R.R. Martin since the late '80s. But I finally gave up on the books, because it is impossible for him to finish the last two books before the final season airs next year. And I don't want to spend a decade avoiding online spoilers. Anyway, I started season one last Thursday and have two episodes left to go on season two. The show did a great job of casting the main characters, but many of the second-tier characters are utterly forgettable-looking. And most fall short of what I have been imagining for the last 20 years. Season one was extremely faithful to the book, but some liberties were taken with season two. And I have heard that the show will eventually go off the rails in season seven and veer into some fanfic territory, but I will take that over the endless wait for book six.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 Dec 2017 23:14 #259637 by Black Barney
Keep posting updates Shell, would love to hear what u think

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.592 seconds