October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
08 Feb 2018 09:40 #263207 by hotseatgames
That's what I'm playing it on. I'm sure playing co-op would be fun, but I haven't done any MP at all. I'm not sure if it even works, honestly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2018 09:58 #263208 by Black Barney
i hear it works pretty well. You send me signal flares if you want to do quests with randoms but my buddy wants to do the coop with me so it could be fun.

More
08 Feb 2018 12:39 #263216 by Gary Sax

hotseatgames wrote: I'm playing two games that have a lot in common right now. Monster Hunter World and Dark Souls 3. I couldn't resist Dark Souls for $12 in the latest humble monthly. I just started that one, and defeated the first boss just last night.

Both of these games feature:
- deliberate combat that locks you into an animation
- wildly variable difficulty, but Dark Souls is definitely harder
- complex worlds and systems, but very little in terms of explanation
- high replay value

Monster Hunter World is definitely the deeper game. Its world is truly a simulation; everything in it has a purpose, and you are limited only by your willingness to put in effort. There's a real sense of things happening in the world regardless of you being there or not. It's also less punishing than Dark Souls. We will see how far I get in Dark Souls, but I do enjoy its world as well. Between the two though, it's Monster Hunter by a mile.

One joy that is VERY contingent on your personality about Dark Souls 3 is the story, which is mostly told by item descriptions and environmental cues. I love the story of Dark Souls 3. Monster Hunter doesn't have this aspect, from what I've seen.

More
08 Feb 2018 14:26 #263224 by hotseatgames
I'm sure the story of Dark Souls 3 is more advanced than the story of MHW. I think neither game is really about that though. Dark Souls is about overcoming ridiculous challenges, and MHW is about murdering the local fauna and wearing their skins. It's also about cats making you dinner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
08 Feb 2018 14:30 - 08 Feb 2018 14:32 #263225 by Black Barney
i like when Dunkey realizes there's a cat that makes you dinner... start it at 4:45, lol

Last edit: 08 Feb 2018 14:32 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
08 Feb 2018 14:47 - 08 Feb 2018 14:49 #263227 by Disgustipater
I also picked up Dark Souls 3. I got to the first boss and was hacking away and got him down to around half health without getting hit and thinking, “This guy is easy...

{hack hack}

...Oh shit!”

YOU DIED

Man I love Dark Souls. DS1 is probably one of my favorite games. DS2 was okay, but I wasn’t impressed. I hear 3 is closer to the original.

I was going to go with the standard knight or warrior, but I really liked the thief in my third playthrough of DS so I went with that.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2018 14:49 by Disgustipater.

More
08 Feb 2018 17:49 #263238 by boothwah
I have 0 interest in that whole punishing dodge-roll combat genre. It's like the epitome of unfun to me. It's just a nudge ahead of face off fighting games like MK and Injustice on the list of game types that I just don't have any interest in. I think the 3rd place would be cover based third person shooters like GoW and CS.

Of course I said that about FPS games 10 years ago. And I still think CoD, MoH, etc are snooze fests. But weirdly, Borderlands + BL2 showed me that I could get into RPG shooters - which led me to trying out Destiny (which I loved) - and recently I've been playing some Hero based shooters - Paladins, which might be pretty cool when The developer decides what the final version of the game is going to be, and Overwatch, because my kids play the heck out of it and bought it for me to play with them.

At the moment , none of the 13 versions of Battle Royale games have my attention, and probably won't either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
08 Feb 2018 18:01 #263240 by jeb
I can't really work out why I like some of the third-person games but not others.

GEARS OF WAR: Hated it.
BULLETSTORM: Shit sandwich.
SOULSBORNE: Like 'em!
SKYRIZzzzz...zzz..z: Zzzzzzz
ZELDA: BotW: Love it.
Other 3D Zeldas: Nope.
3D MARIO: Erry day.

Can't really work out any common threads there. I don't like FPS either but OVERWATCH and BORDERLANDS are crazy fun. Maybe because most of them are military bullshit? Like I need to know about stocks and sights and other bullshit I don't care about? Every time I watch someone play PUBG and they throw away some gun for another gun because who-gives-a-shit, I know it's not for me.

SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY is Sofa King Good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
08 Feb 2018 18:19 #263241 by Jackwraith

jeb wrote: SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY is Sofa King Good.

More
09 Feb 2018 11:35 #263263 by jeb
SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY is amazing stuff. I feel like I am preaching to the choir here, if you dig Mario games, you dig ODYSSEY and might have bought the console to play the frigging thing. But in case anyone was wondering what is making it so interesting to me...

Since SUPER MARIO 64, 3D Mario games have turned on the idea of collecting things: Stars, Shines, Coins-to-get-Stars, Purple Coins-to... &c. Levels in 3D World, Land, Galaxy were laid out with an item "at the end" as it were. You traversed it and snagged it from a bad guy or off a cliff or what have you. You could then jump back in the level and find the next one. SUPER MARIO 64 was a little different, in that you could get more than one star on a level--collecting the Coins could get you a Star while you were on a mission to get some other level-themed star. Since then, though, it's been basically one-Star/Shine/Thing per trip. The games have also been perfused by hidden items like Cat Suits, Mushrooms, Fire Flowers, Boomerang Suits, and all that to juice Mario and get you through the level.

ODYSSEY returns to the roots of MARIO 64 by providing access to multiple Moons (this time) in each level, and tosses the ideas of power-ups in exchange for a bizarre possession mechanic. You still see blocks scattered about, but all they ever have in them are Coins (SO MANY COINS). You are always "Super Mario" (ie, big), and there's no mushrooms to chase down or "boy-yo-yoy oiyp" sound effects when you make a block poop out some goodie. If you need to climb something, better look around for a bad guy wearing a hat. Then you throw your hat at them and become a Mariofied version of them. I have been a Goomba, a Hammer Bro, a Bullet Bill, a Lava Leaper, a human (?!), and even a goddamned dinosaur.

The game is packed with delight. It can be easy enough for my 6yo to play and advance, or mindscrapingly hard for masochists like me, at one's will. The 6yo doesn't need to get that Moon over there in the lava, surrounded by Switch blocks, guarded by poison. He can get the one from the fat polar bear selling corn dogs or whatever. But me, I have to get that hard one. And there are tons of them. I do my completionist thing on these levels and get scads of Moons, and feel like I am King Shit of Fuck Mountain and when I get back to the ship to check progress I see there are like 20+ more out there. It's crazy. The game makes amazing nods to nostalgia, but keeps everything so fresh. It's a remarkable thing.

It's immense and gratifying to play. I told a friend New Donk City (a level) could have been the game and it would have been amazing. Instead we get NDC and all these other levels too! I know it's $70 or whatever, but it is so worth it, my lord.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Mar 2018 22:23 #264311 by san il defanso
I would be totally fine not owning a Switch if it weren't for Super Mario Odyssey. I can barely read about that game without wanting to plunk down the money right then and there.

Instead I have been on the road quite a bit lately, and I've been playing lots of Pokemon Sun. I finally started digging into the trading system, and I've been having lots of fun. I'm more of a Pokemon liker than a Pokemon fan, since the only games in the series I've really played much were the ones on the DS, and a bit of one Pokemon Red as a sort of retroactive thing. But Pokemon Sun has really worked for me. The little quality of life upgrades make it a lot better, and I like the Alolan setting a lot. The characters and plot are a cut above other Pokemon games as well. The rhythm of Pokemon works really well in a portable setting too. This is nothing new to anyone, but it's gotten me excited to try another one of the 3DS games, either X/Y or Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby.

I also started playing Civilization V again after a pretty long hiatus. Something about getting ready for a big move makes me want to spend hours on end playing that game. I really want to try Civ VI obviously, but the price is more than I want to invest. I'll probably just wait another few years until the game has all its expansions and DLC, and then buy the whole schwack on sale for $12, like I did with Civ V. Until then I'll be playing the one I have. Just sublime.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
01 Mar 2018 23:47 - 01 Mar 2018 23:48 #264318 by Gary Sax
Yeah, civ v got good once the expansions came out. Doing away with unit spam was a godsend.

That said, definitely pick up Civ VI when it's cheap. I'm a rare person who likes it better---a lot better---than V. Specifically, Civ VI is all about the geography of the map. Everything is contingent on what map tiles, luxuries, districts you build, etc are on the map. I love this element. Civ VI is extremely tactile to me, and the cities are no longer just a generic interchangable thing. Even where they are founded has a lot to do with what they'll be good at, what wonders they'll build, etc.

I don't think it's a huge surprise that Ed Beach, who designed many war games and Here I Stand, is the lead designer on Civ VI. I think the game reflects his board game background.

Been playing Into the Breach, Matt talked about it over in the Stellaris thread. Same people who did FTL. It's a different game than FTL, it's basically a dynamic puzzle in the guise of a advance wars style turn based strategy. I'm liking it a lot so far, it has an incredibly rewarding payoff when you set up some amazing combo by pushing different enemies into each other and killing them all with one shot. But it can be frustrating if you aren't seeing the fancy way out of the situation and/or puzzle situations like this aren't your strongest suit. Still, well worth 15 bucks, it's an impeccably made little game. The wildest thing is once you start unlocking the other squads after the simplest first one, it's like an entirely new game emerges with each squad. I've only unlocked the 2nd squad and it is a VASTLY different experience.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2018 23:48 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, hotseatgames

More
02 Mar 2018 07:07 #264328 by san il defanso
I was, shall we say, rueful when I saw that Civ VI was on a Humble Bundle deal and I had missed it. It's less the cost of the base game and more all of the DLC and other content. It'd be one thing if I had gotten in on the ground floor and purchased it piecemeal, but now it's an expensive prospect, especially with an international move coming up.

It's on the list for eventual purchase, it's just down the road a bit. I have heard really good things about it, so I'm looking forward to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
02 Mar 2018 07:33 #264330 by san il defanso
Oh and I beat the Elite Four in Pokémon Sun last night. So that's the culmination of like 35 hours.

More
02 Mar 2018 13:32 #264384 by Jexik
I've spent the last 3 days wishing I had a windows box for some Into the Breach. It's super puzzle-y, which I think is probably okay in a single player game. That kind of stuff bores me in a board game, but seems fun here.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.617 seconds