October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2691 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
26 Jan 2018 22:32 #262305 by Gary Sax
I think people didn't know what to expect, you're right. Towerfall is a great game but it isn't immediately obvious that a platformer from the towerfall designer would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2018 23:18 #262311 by Black Barney
Somebody upload Dunkeys review if Celeste here. Barnes will love it

All thIs talk of Shadow of the Colossus might get a Ken B to appear from the wild!!

More
27 Jan 2018 10:54 #262332 by Frohike
He liked it:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
29 Jan 2018 23:11 #262497 by hotseatgames
Rolling along on Monster Hunter World. Tonight I killed my first Anjanath. That is essentially a fire-breathing T-Rex. He took a lot of effort to defeat, but I got some sweet new dual blades out of him. If I kill one more I can get a sick new helmet.

This game is really cool, once you get past the learning curve, which is still steep. Player guides online will help a lot.

More
03 Feb 2018 21:13 #262748 by Gary Sax
Tempted by MH World. But I don't have a playstation 4 regularly so it isn't a good fit. Nor do I play with others very often which I hear is a key.

I've been playing Darkest Dungeon. I'd recommend returning to it if you played it before and liked it but it was just too much. They added a new difficulty, "Radiant," which is not quite so ballbusting. It's still permadeath, all that, but it gives you more experience, people develop faster, and there is more treasure in the game. Great game.

More
03 Feb 2018 23:04 #262750 by Colorcrayons
Finally starting the Nathan Drake collection on PS4 I got several moons ago.
It is a great remaster of the PS3 games so far. Not quite as good as uncharted 4 since that is an actual PS4 game, but they do put the PS3 versions to shame.
Now that I have all 5 uncharted games, I think ill dedicate my time to them. The hullabaloo surrounding them seems to be on point.

I do play them on the easiest setting, since I'm more in it as an interactive movie, than a challenging video game. They definitely satisfy.

More
04 Feb 2018 02:05 #262758 by repoman
I played Missle Command at a retro arcade/pinball museum in Asbury Park today.

35 years on and I still totally suck at this game.

At least I didn't pinch that fleshy area below my thumb between the roller ball and the cabinet this time. As I recall, that would hurt like a bitch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
04 Feb 2018 09:19 #262768 by Chaz

Gary Sax wrote: Tempted by MH World. But I don't have a playstation 4 regularly so it isn't a good fit. Nor do I play with others very often which I hear is a key.

I've probably sunk over 100 hours into various MH games over the years, mostly with 80 hours on MH4. I've never once played multiplayer, and I've liked it a lot. The thing you just need to realize is that once you get deep enough into the game, it'll eventually start pushing you into MP by making all available quests virtually impossible to solo. So you may not be able to play solo forever, but usually that point is past the 100 hour mark, which is, like, a shit ton of game, so I don't mind.

There's nothing quite like slamming a fire-breathing t-rex to the ground by bashing it in the face with a hammer that's bigger than you are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Feb 2018 09:25 #262769 by Gary Sax
Yeah, the lance and gun lance are calling me as a defensive dark souls player.

More
04 Feb 2018 15:21 #262799 by hotseatgames
I have yet to venture into MP in Monster Hunter World. I have around 22 hours in, I think. I have just hit a wall in my ability to defeat the next challenge (the asshole inflatable bat creature). I suspect I may need to trade in my dual blades for a switch-axe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Feb 2018 18:11 #262811 by Erik Twice
Copy paste time:

I'm trying out Descent II and wow, this is a great game! It takes some time to get used to it and I'm certain my joystick doesn't work correctly but it's fun, I'm using joystick for throttle/sideways movement, mouse for aiming which feels right but seems worse than using two joysticks (The game doesn't have mouselook). I expected it to be more Doom-like but it actually has a completely different feel and is designed very differently.

The best thing about this, however, is not the game. Is the fact that I've been gaming "seriously" again. I played for about an hour, hour and a half and it was more fun, more interesting and more fulfilling than hours of browsing the internet or checking up the first 5 minutes of games for five hours. I'm very glad to be playing this way again.

I actually streamed myself playing and Jeb even came around to say hi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
04 Feb 2018 18:16 - 04 Feb 2018 19:00 #262812 by jeb
I remember playing DESCENT (2?) in my RA's room at University. God I am old. Anyway, we would play that and X-WING vs TIE FIGHTER for hours on end on his decent-for-the-time setup. Maybe sneak over to the Physics lab where we had AppleTalk'd some LCIIIs together for MARATHON deathmatches.

Of late, I got SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY and it's just unimaginably good, as you all know.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2018 19:00 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
04 Feb 2018 19:09 #262813 by the_jake_1973

Erik Twice wrote: Copy paste time:

I'm trying out Descent II and wow, this is a great game! It takes some time to get used to it and I'm certain my joystick doesn't work correctly but it's fun, I'm using joystick for throttle/sideways movement, mouse for aiming which feels right but seems worse than using two joysticks (The game doesn't have mouselook). I expected it to be more Doom-like but it actually has a completely different feel and is designed very differently.

The best thing about this, however, is not the game. Is the fact that I've been gaming "seriously" again. I played for about an hour, hour and a half and it was more fun, more interesting and more fulfilling than hours of browsing the internet or checking up the first 5 minutes of games for five hours. I'm very glad to be playing this way again.

I actually streamed myself playing and Jeb even came around to say hi.

There is a PSVR game that is rather like Descent in that movement style. it is a 4v4 arena battle type game. good stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
08 Feb 2018 09:04 #263201 by hotseatgames
I'm playing two games that have a lot in common right now. Monster Hunter World and Dark Souls 3. I couldn't resist Dark Souls for $12 in the latest humble monthly. I just started that one, and defeated the first boss just last night.

Both of these games feature:
- deliberate combat that locks you into an animation
- wildly variable difficulty, but Dark Souls is definitely harder
- complex worlds and systems, but very little in terms of explanation
- high replay value

Monster Hunter World is definitely the deeper game. Its world is truly a simulation; everything in it has a purpose, and you are limited only by your willingness to put in effort. There's a real sense of things happening in the world regardless of you being there or not. It's also less punishing than Dark Souls. We will see how far I get in Dark Souls, but I do enjoy its world as well. Between the two though, it's Monster Hunter by a mile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
08 Feb 2018 09:23 #263203 by Black Barney
My best friend and I are debating on getting Monster Hunter World. I've never played any of them before and apparently the Xbox One version is excellent.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.815 seconds