October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
22 Jan 2018 21:50 #261763 by hotseatgames
Just finished Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. It was incredible from start to finish, and I feel pretty confident that I have never played an FPS with better cinematics than this game. Top notch, all the way.

B.J. is firmly in the conversation for greatest FPS hero ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2018 00:20 - 23 Jan 2018 08:40 #261771 by Gary Sax
Started playing "Enter the Gungeon" again on Steam. Brilliant game and at times bullet hellish arcade experience. Strong recommendations. Supposed to be coming to Switch soon, you guys should get it if the resolution is good enough to get a good eye on all the bullets and details.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2018 08:40 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, hotseatgames

More
23 Jan 2018 11:23 #261827 by Matt Thrower
Been playing a new strategy RPG set in the age of whaling, called Nantucket. Really enjoying it, mostly for its novel theme: it re-creates an astonishing age-of-sail feel, and the storyline is a continuation of where the book Moby-Dick ended. It helps that it's also got a sold mechanical core of recruiting crew, packing the hold, and working hard for bigger ships and skill upgrades.

Combat is a bit tedious right now, but I'm hoping they improve it. Or at least add a "fast animations" option. Until then, the strategy, narrative and role-playing bits are easily enough to make it worth the asking price.

store.steampowered.com/app/621220/Nantucket/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Jan 2018 11:28 #261831 by Michael Barnes

Gary Sax wrote: Started playing "Enter the Gungeon" again on Steam. Brilliant game and at times bullet hellish arcade experience. Strong recommendations. Supposed to be coming to Switch soon, you guys should get it if the resolution is good enough to get a good eye on all the bullets and details.

It’s already on Switch...and its awesome, may be my favorite twin stick shooter ever. It is somewhere between twin stick and a bullet hell shooter really. With hundreds of insane guns. I’m only able to get to level 3, but I’m starting to do so consistently.

Lots of secrets and mysteries in it too...still not sure what the altar does and I don’t want to look it up.

It is definitely better to play it with a pro controller over the joycons though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Jan 2018 12:17 #261846 by Chaz

hotseatgames wrote: On a bit of an impulse, I pre-ordered Monster Hunter World for Xbox One, to be delivered on Friday. I think I'll have a lot of fun with it, but shame on them for not putting it out on Switch. Perhaps it's for the best, since I'd then have to share with the kids. The Xbox One resides in my room and they can't use it. :)

I caved and preordered on PS4, but yeah, I'm really sad that this isn't on the Switch. I'd get to play it WAY more if it was portable, what with this 3+ hours a day commuting.

More
23 Jan 2018 13:08 #261857 by jeb

jeb wrote: There's a block that tells you the controls language, it updates as you move around. I don't remember where that is though. It's obvious when you find it though, so just keep playing.

It's in a pink gnarled tree in the alien landscape. The gnarled tree is next to a big octopus statue. Started my game yesterday and am at 17/9 with one heart when I found this.

More
23 Jan 2018 16:13 #261879 by Legomancer
I actually figured out the controls language in one of the schools. It kind of came back to me. If I recall, there are number and letter symbols.

The wall that has the dot, line, square, cube, each has a symbol above it. Are they 0,1,2,3?

More
23 Jan 2018 16:24 #261880 by jeb

Legomancer wrote: I actually figured out the controls language in one of the schools. It kind of came back to me. If I recall, there are number and letter symbols.

The wall that has the dot, line, square, cube, each has a symbol above it. Are they 0,1,2,3?

Yes that's right! They are showing dimensions and labeling them. The dot is dimension 0, the line is 1, the square is 2, and the figure-8 thing is 3. You can derive other numbers from these numbers. There's an equation in the room with the orrery (solar system model).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer

More
24 Jan 2018 12:08 #261963 by Matt Thrower
I liked Nantucket enough to pitch a review for it. Here it is:

www.strategygamer.com/reviews/review-nantucket/
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
24 Jan 2018 12:57 #261979 by jeb
FEZ is so beautiful. I should look up my old posts here on this topic. The pixel art is so amazingly good. I feel so bad for what might have been...

speaker warning, but also coolness warning.

More
25 Jan 2018 11:50 - 25 Jan 2018 11:50 #262132 by jeb
@Legomancer, I found the alphabet key. It's in the tree on top of the waterfall level. I am closing in, 31/26.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2018 11:50 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer

More
26 Jan 2018 18:43 #262295 by hotseatgames
I have started my journey in Monster Hunter World. So far I have butchered many animals, including 2 Great Jagras. It's more Monster Hunter, in case you were curious. They are better about explaining things this time, but they still throw things at you without explaining them. For example, I found the guy who wants me to fish. But he doesn't tell you how to fish.

I see me spending a lot of hours on this one. Whether I do any of that multiplayer, I don't know. Playing with randos does not appeal.

More
26 Jan 2018 19:06 #262298 by jeb
MARIO RABBIDS thing is on sale (?!) from Nintendo for $42. So I picked that up.

More
26 Jan 2018 19:09 - 26 Jan 2018 19:17 #262299 by Frohike
I got the PS4 remake of Shadow of the Colossus.

I do not own a PS4 yet.

It's definitely weird that this may be the killer app for me (well that and possibly Persona 5) but that game... It just taps the right nerve for some reason and I can't look away whenever they remaster it.

I've now completed it on PS2 and PS3, and apparently will complete it again on PS4.

With my PC being mostly co-opted by the teenager for League of Legends and PUBG, my eyes are definitely turning back to the consoles.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2018 19:17 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
26 Jan 2018 19:34 - 26 Jan 2018 19:35 #262301 by Michael Barnes
Attention platforming fans: it is time to go purchase and download Celeste on your chosen console or PC. It is amazing.

The format is similar to Super Meat Boy, N+ or other highly skill-oriented platformers where puzzling out what to do and then actually executing it are the primary appeals of the game. Lots of failures (instant restarts), but also lots of “aha” and “holy shit I can’t believe I pulled it off” moments too.

There is an interesting storyline to it, it’s not just jumpin’ and stuff. But no Metroidvania elements, no items, no weapons, No RPG progression. Just traversal.

So far the levels have been absolutely top notch and the challenge level is just right. There are assists available if you want to make it easier. But I think that takes away from the fun of discovering that you can actually navigate an impossible-looking situation.

I think it’s taken a lot of reviewers by surprise, a couple of perfect scores out there.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2018 19:35 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.724 seconds