October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
18 Jul 2017 09:03 - 18 Jul 2017 09:22 #251309 by Mr. White

Mr. White wrote: Ever since we got the Switch it's been all Ultra SFII for me.

It was the best of times: I never played the HD/Udon version before and the graphics are fun. Plus, I'm playing a version of the greatest head-to-head video game ever designed.

It was the worst of times: I thought the Shotokan Bros were bad before!? In the arcades I was always fighting Kens and Ryus with the occasional Chun-li. Now...all Violent Kens, Evil Ryus, and Akumas. Gets old. I used to not attack when my opponent is dizzy, but in my frustration against always fighting the same characters...I'm going against my code...

I know everyone was wondering, so I'll tell ya...I run a trio of Dee Jay, Fei Long, and E. Honda. I especially love destroying shotokans with Fei Long and Honda because they lack projectiles. Ohhh...what a rush!
Last edit: 18 Jul 2017 09:22 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2017 09:11 #251310 by hotseatgames
Yes, I recognized his voice when he started talking. I am not sure he was recording, we were really just playing a normal match.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
18 Jul 2017 10:22 #251316 by Black Barney
that's really cool, hotseat. I'm jealous ;)

The way he talks makes it obvious if he's recording or not. he would be shopping for reactions so he'd be pretending not to be him, or he'd be trolling the alpha and such.

Based on his skill, he obviously games a ton so it's clear he isn't always recording when he plays. Glad you guys won!

that game is coming to XboxOne this year, I'm very curious.

More
18 Jul 2017 10:59 #251320 by hotseatgames
It's an incredible game, tons of fun, even when you are losing, which is most of the time in my case.

More
18 Jul 2017 12:07 #251331 by Legomancer
I've been replaying one of the only games I play: Borderlands 2, this time as the Gunzerker. I'm now on the Captain Scarlett DLC and having a good time.

More
19 Jul 2017 20:11 - 19 Jul 2017 20:13 #251402 by Black Barney
hotseat!!!! ]

Here y'a go my friend, I lol'd a bunch. Lemme know if your match is here

Last edit: 19 Jul 2017 20:13 by Black Barney.

More
19 Jul 2017 22:51 #251408 by hotseatgames
haha! No, that wasn't any of my match. He had a different name in mine as well, but it was either him or his doppelganger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Jul 2017 19:33 #251766 by Michael Barnes
Here is the pull quote- "Pyre is hot shit."

It's the new game from the people that made Bastion and that other game. Oh yeah, Transistor. Nobody seemed to like it, but it was really neat. They make a quality, compelling product so I actually bought this without even reading a review. I actually didn't even know it was coming out, I actually had not heard anything about it...because lately, if it's not Nintendo, Blizzard, From Software, or something with GW on it I haven't paid much attention to video games.

So...I was pretty stunned by what it turned out to be. It is a SPORTS game. Straight up. Despite all of the fantasy froo-frah and pretentiousness/preciousness these folks like to coat their games with, it probably has much more to do with NBA Jam than Final Fantasy. But more than that, it is a sports game with a campaign, and that's where the RPG business kicks in...because really, campaigns in sports games really are sort of RPGs anyway.

The story is...interesting. It's definitely a ground-up kind of world building and it's pretty interesting. But it all serves to frame up these "Rites", which are 3-on-3 ball games. Sure, there's this business about them being some kind of highly ritualized blah blah blahs and soul orbs and so forth, but really you are trying to get one of your players to either slam dunk or 3-point the ball into the other players' titular pyre. As the story goes on, which is sort of visual novel-y, you bring on new players and they level up. You can do 1 on 1 training with them occasionally, equip them with talismans, etc...and sometimes the story dictates that some players won't play in some games or whatever...and they get miffed if you don't put them in, coach.

On the field, you can only move player at a time, which is interesting, and it makes it feel like a hybrid real time/turn based thing. Each player has an aura, which is what humans call a tackle zone. If an opponent touches the tackle zone, they get banished for a while and drop the ball if they had it. You can also charge up and shoot your aura out. There's also jumping, passing, throwing, intercepts, blocking, and so forth. With one-eyed fish dudes, mustachioed dogs, horned women, and something called a "Drive Imp".

They all have different abilities, strengths, weaknesses, etc...but this is a game where stats are things like "Hope" and "Presence". You make money and can buy and sell stuff from this cart. Most of the "overworld" is linear, but there are numerous binary choices that will probably affect some kind of outcome. You also have opportunities to practice vocations, which is where you can train, forage or read. Because your character, for reasons I have to see, is called The Reader.

I'm only about 3 hours in, but so far it is what I would call almost phenomenal. It is unlike anything else out there, the mechanics are really interesting, and it is the kind of game I have been wishing existed for years- a fantasy sports thing that isn't as slow to play as Blood Bowl. I do kind of wish some of the visual novel stuff was, well, swifter but overall the story to this point has been pretty compelling and the characters are endearing. I get a sense that it's going to be like Fire Emblem or something, at some point characters are going to have to leave, die, or otherwise leave the party.

One thing I REALLY like about it is that there is no obvious sense of impact yet. I've lost a couple of Rites, and I'm not really sure what that means. But I've not felt like I had to go back and replay them or anything like that because I want to see what happens. I like this feeling of having no clue what this is all building to. The game has already surprised me with a couple of unexpected activities and variations.

Worth $17.99? Most definitely. Best game I've played in a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jexik, Frohike, JEM

More
27 Jul 2017 21:22 #251770 by hotseatgames
Is there an option to just play a sports match, like a one-off practice session?

I've been playing Zelda. Completed 14 shrines, climbed a few towers. I've got some cool weapons now. I hate the guardians. I look forward to getting strong enough to stomp them.

More
27 Jul 2017 21:42 #251771 by Michael Barnes
Yep. There is a versus mode, AI or loca. It warns you that if you haven't completed the story you will spoil some things though so I haven't done it.

More
28 Jul 2017 09:45 - 28 Jul 2017 09:46 #251776 by Jexik
Bah, just looked it up. Just Windows and PS4. I'm that paradoxical Mac/Xbox user.

I guess I'll go see what Doomfist is all about.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2017 09:46 by Jexik.

More
28 Jul 2017 10:46 #251778 by SuperflyPete
I'm still tooling around the universe in elite dangerous. At this point I've got a mining ship, an exploration ship, and a murder wagon.

I've realized that some places have no "law" and those are the best ones. I basically fly around the place, stopping random people and killing them. So, I'm basically like a space cop. I want to get a headset just so I can say "GET ON THE FUCKING GROUND! STOP RESISTING!!!" before killing them.

Mechanically the game is solid AF. But it's almost TOO open. I mean, I've flown around and done inane missions to unlock engineers who modify my ship parts but it's SO rote. I've also taken part in some massive "community goals" stuff which doesn't feel like a community effort as much as a bunch of individuals doing individual shit but that has a chart showing where you rank among participants, which seems little like community.

Still, I persevere. Until I get flush again I'm basically going to play this and Fallout 4 again. Maybe Diablo 3. I really want to get back into Metro series but I don't like playing superviolent shit when the kids are around.

Meh. I still like playing guitar more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

More
28 Jul 2017 11:12 #251781 by Jexik

Jexik wrote: I guess I'll go see what Doomfist is all about.

Maybe I'll have to try him more, but so far, Doomfist (just released yesterday in Overwatch) is decidedly not my hero. I think I'd have to play him a lot to get the hang of his ability timing. Not only are his 3 different punch/movement abilities on awkward cool-downs, but his main gun (which actually seems pretty strong) only has 4 shots and you don't reload it all at once- they come back piecemeal, maybe a little faster than Tracer's blinks. When I want to play an offensive character, I'll stick to Pharah, Reaper (his lifesteal buff is cool), Tracer, and sometimes Soldier 76. Punching people is probably really satisfying if you can get good with him, I bet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
28 Jul 2017 11:13 #251782 by Pat II
Fired up Total War Warhammer on a new PC. Playing first as Vampire Counts. Pretty fun stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Jul 2017 19:57 #251822 by hotseatgames
Checked out the new horde mode on Titanfall 2, after having been away from the game for a long time. Felt good to stomp around again, and to shoot dumb AI opponents instead of the high level murderers playing MP.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.431 seconds