October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What WHISKEY have you been drinking?

More
26 May 2010 14:35 #64425 by Columbob
I have around 20 bottles right now at home, mostly single malts, in different quantities consumed, so I can pick and choose what I want depending on mood. I don't even drink this stuff every week though, maybe that's why I keep adding bottles without finishing them. It's still fun to have around.

Last friday had a shot of Lagavullin 16 yo in a pub, for some reason it was heated, maybe they keep their bottles over sources of light or something.

My in-laws are currently in Spain and picked up a bottle of Cardhu for me, 42 euros. The stuff is about $150 or $250 in Canada right now, insane.

Balvenie double wood is excellent and pretty decently priced over here.

There are still quite a few bottles under $65 in stores that I have yet to try, so plenty of discoveries ahead.

Some of my favourites:
Talisker 10 yo
Macallan 12, 16 yo
Highland Park 16 yo
Michel Couvreur (scotch imported to Burgundy and aged in sherry casks, can't call it scotch anymore though)

Scotch whisky is written without the E.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2010 14:59 #64428 by Black Barney
ah you like the smokey and peatey scotches. I do not.

More
26 May 2010 15:47 #64430 by Not Sure
Black Barney wrote:

ah you like the smokey and peatey scotches. I do not.

You should try the Macallan, Barney. It's not a particularly peaty scotch. Very smooth, and the 12yr can be found at a reasonable price (as single malts go). I keep a bottle around for when I feel like scotch, but don't feel like bog-diving. You might also like Auchentoshan.

You'll want to stay away from anything described as an Islay, because they're all cooked by peat-mad goblins.

More
26 May 2010 16:09 #64434 by jay718
I'll echo the Macallan recommendation. I don't go for the super peaty scotches either. The Laphroaig 15 yr however is everything that Dogmatix says it is. A bit too fancy for us to carry at the bar, but a buddy of mine bought out what appeared to be NYC's entire stock of the stuff, and is doing his best to finish it by years end. He brought a bottle to a game night about two months back and returned home with only the empty cannister.

Just realized how sad my "my whiskey drinking has been largely done at work lately" comment sounds. Makes me seem a proper rummy.

More
26 May 2010 16:20 #64438 by Black Barney
Yeah I've had the Macallan plenty (even one of the most expensive ones). It's nice.

I was in Scotland last year for my honeymoon and went to the smallest distillery in the country (makes the same amount in 1 yr than Glenfiddich makes in a week). I forget the name (you can't buy it here anyway) but it was AWESOME. Buttery smoothness once again. I loved it.

More
26 May 2010 17:14 #64445 by Not Sure
jay718 wrote:

Just realized how sad my "my whiskey drinking has been largely done at work lately" comment sounds. Makes me seem a proper rummy.

Doesn't count when you run a bar. That's just Quality Assurance.

More
26 May 2010 17:49 #64448 by Partizan
I mainly enjoy Bourbon and Irish over Scotch. So I'll keep the "E".

Last night I had a glass of George Dickel #12. Yes, it's not a Bourbon, but what a great taste.

More
26 May 2010 18:40 #64454 by ubarose
I'm doing a mint julep tasting this weekend if my syrup turns out well. Mint isn't in season here yet. The mint I bought from the grocery store looks somewhat dubious.

I'm doing:

Woodford Reserve
Rare Eagle
Buffalo Trace
WL Weller

More
26 May 2010 20:30 #64474 by Space Ghost
I really like the Buffalo Trace and have been using it in Old Fashioneds lately.

More
26 May 2010 21:39 #64477 by Sagrilarus
Bulwyf wrote:

I'm much more of a Tequila drinker but I have been working my way through a bottle of 12 year old Macallan. Sometimes I drink it neat but I think I prefer it with ice. Next time I go to the package store near my place I'll check for that Laphroaig 15. They have a very decent selection of Scotch and I think I remember seeing that particular one there.

-Will

Good Scotch is best with a very small ice cube or even better a small amount of cold water added. It makes the flavor jump.

I'm drinking an 18 year old Macallan. In my case this happens to be the best kind of Scotch -- the free kind. I got another bottle from the company today as a thank-you for landing new business. With that bottle in reserve I am free to have at the remains of the prior one, which I have been nursing for the last month or two.

Speaking of adding water, I've been looking for a recommendation on absinthe. If anyone has tried the stuff let me know what you think.

S.

More
26 May 2010 22:33 #64486 by ubarose
@space ghost

I think the Buffalo Trace will probably win. It has the citrus thing going on that I think will be nice with the mint.

More
27 May 2010 09:04 - 27 May 2010 09:06 #64503 by Columbob
Sagrilarus wrote:

Speaking of adding water, I've been looking for a recommendation on absinthe. If anyone has tried the stuff let me know what you think.

S.

Speaking of absinthe, there's a restaurant in these parts appropriately called L'Absinthe (also one in Montréal similarly called), I tried a drink of that mixed up with crème de menthe and something else, with the grainy sugar stuff on the rim of the martini glass. Ultimately the mint was all I could really taste, so that wasn't the best first taste of absinthe experience IMO, although it was really refreshing.

Sagrilarus wrote:

Good Scotch is best with a very small ice cube or even better a small amount of cold water added. It makes the flavor jump.

That water should be distilled water so you don't add foreign tastes (minerals) to your scotch, same goes to the ice. I know a lot of pro tasters advocate that, but I still prefer mine straight.
Last edit: 27 May 2010 09:06 by Columbob.

More
27 May 2010 10:20 #64509 by jay718
Buffalo Trace is a great bourbon, especially for the price. I usually just use Beam or Beam black when I make juleps at home, and Evan Williams is the standard when we make them at the bar. I've always held that good bourbon was wasted with juleps; simple syrup and mint dull the complexities, especially after the first one. I'm gonna experiment this BBQ season though, so please post the winner of the taste test.

I've been enjoying ice in my whiskey lately, especially the extra large single cubes that are all the rage around here in restaurants and higher end bars. They're brilliant. The cubes are about an inch and a half on each side. They displace liquid much better than crushed ice or cubes from traditional ice machines, so from the publican/restaraunteurs perspective it's great, as you're pouring less liquor and getting a stellar looking product. (sounds a bit like another conversation we have around here.) The best part is how long the ice stays frozen. Last week I ordered an old fashioned before dinner. I don't generally enjoy spirits with my meal, so I ordered a beer when the food came out a little early and put my cocktail aside. More than 30 minutes later, my drink was still ice cold and hardly any of the cube had melted, so it wasn't watery at all.

As far as absinthe goes, there's a shit ton of 'em readily available now in the states. We even carry one in my dive: Kubler from Switzerland. We don't generally do the whole water and sugar production though, as most of our customers that order the stuff just want shots. St. George is a much nicer absinthe if you're going to be enjoying it at home.

More
27 May 2010 10:21 #64510 by SuperflyPete
Yeah, neat is better, for sure. I've been drinking Macallan Fine Oak 17 Yr a bit:

As well as a bit of Jameson Rarest Vintage I got as a birthday present some many moons ago but dared not open until a few months ago:

But, my new abso-favorite has become The Glenlivet French Oak Reserve

More
27 May 2010 10:37 #64511 by Black Barney
wow, I would kill to try that Glenlivet 15

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.828 seconds