October 09, 2023
2509 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2707 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What games are you BUYING? ARCHIVE

More
18 Apr 2015 21:51 #201040 by KingPut
Merchants & Marauders Sea of Glory. Christian Marcussen not only designed the best pirate game ever but now we might have the perfect expansion. This is a big expansion. Players can just add it new cards and play the base game or you can add in all kinds of cool things like new weapons (heated shot, double shot), ship mods (crows nest, the plank), NPC upgrades, treasure galleon, new ship types, contraband, new locations (missionaries, prisons, natives), favors, crew locality and more. My only problem is what stuff to add it. Luckily the rules are well written with notes about added playing time and added complexity for each added expansion variant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Columbob
The topic has been locked.
More
20 Apr 2015 09:13 #201084 by Columbob

KingPut wrote: This is a big expansion.

Considering it can be had for under $25 online, it sounds like a steal. Except for the extra playing time, that might not be so great. We'll see! Let us know when you try it out.
More
21 Apr 2015 16:04 #201222 by repoman
Bought Tragedy Looper on a whim during a game store visit. Read the rules but haven't played it. It seems like it could be wicked cool or a total suck based on attitude and group. Appears it has roots in Clue but more grown up and with an all against one aspect.
More
21 Apr 2015 16:51 #201237 by Legomancer
I bought Steam Torpedo: First Contact on a whim. Haven't read the rules in depth but looks like it could be interesting.

I'm also waiting for a group order to happen to get Theseus: BOTS and Sky Tango.
More
21 Apr 2015 18:01 #201247 by stoic

Legomancer wrote: I bought Steam Torpedo: First Contact on a whim. Haven't read the rules in depth but looks like it could be interesting.

I'm also waiting for a group order to happen to get Theseus: BOTS and Sky Tango.

Looking to get Theseus: Bots too! When is it going to arrive in the stores?
More
21 Apr 2015 18:48 #201248 by Frohike
Cyclades, Cyclades/Kemet Crossover, Cyclades: Titans.

I'm glad I got all 3 because I didn't enjoy our initial playthrough of the base game. The Kemet crossover brought some much needed creatures that stay on the board beyond the span of a turn, and Titans just made it a straight up better game. Tighter integration with the theme, more DoaM-ness, less plodding tempo in the early game, more incentive to rush Metropolises.

Morels

Because I need something to play with my eight year old besides Goblins Drool, Fairies Rule and Jaipur. It's... fine. I think it could have used more shroom variety and alternate deck setups but it knows what kind of game it is and stays there, which is ok.

Fallen

The Choose Your Own Adventure spirit of the game was an incentive but I was having a hard time getting over the fact that 60% of the content was seemingly locked away in the Kickstarter aftermarket. Then I read Charlie's review and also discovered that the publisher is selling their KS copies in house, so I grabbed it. Still waiting for it to get here. I do think some of the seams that players are noticing between the narrative conceit and the card play could have been worked out with further development, but that probably would have taken years to work out (a hell of a lot of modular writing) and would have complicated setup even further than it seems to be now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest
More
21 Apr 2015 19:32 #201253 by Legomancer

stoic wrote:

Legomancer wrote: I bought Steam Torpedo: First Contact on a whim. Haven't read the rules in depth but looks like it could be interesting.

Looking to get Theseus: Bots too! When is it going to arrive in the stores?

Bots is at CSI now, dunno about elsewhere.
More
27 Apr 2015 12:20 #201534 by Gary Sax
A friend of the family bought us a clearance copy of Eldritch Horror base game for dog sitting a bunch of times. Any tips on first games, things to watch out for, etc?
More
27 Apr 2015 12:30 #201535 by stoic
I bought the Theseus: Bots expansion. I'm glad that I acted so quickly because it's already sold out at CSI. Wow! I can't wait to play it because it will spark a fury of Theseus: The Dark Orbit games with my son and I when we try out this new Bots faction against the other existing factions.
More
27 Apr 2015 12:36 - 27 Apr 2015 12:36 #201537 by Gary Sax
Bots is gone already? Are you fucking serious? Man, these US releases of portal games... fuuuuck.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2015 12:36 by Gary Sax.
More
27 Apr 2015 12:52 #201538 by mikecl

Frohike wrote: Fallen

The Choose Your Own Adventure spirit of the game was an incentive but I was having a hard time getting over the fact that 60% of the content was seemingly locked away in the Kickstarter aftermarket. Then I read Charlie's review and also discovered that the publisher is selling their KS copies in house, so I grabbed it. Still waiting for it to get here. I do think some of the seams that players are noticing between the narrative conceit and the card play could have been worked out with further development, but that probably would have taken years to work out (a hell of a lot of modular writing) and would have complicated setup even further than it seems to be now.

You got it just in time because they're all sold out now.
More
27 Apr 2015 13:03 #201540 by SuperflyPete

Gary Sax wrote: A friend of the family bought us a clearance copy of Eldritch Horror base game for dog sitting a bunch of times. Any tips on first games, things to watch out for, etc?

It's a really easy game to learn. If there's one caution I'd give, it's to make sure that your card stacks are split up so that you can easily get ALL the mythos cards for your guys. The backs can be similar and hard to differentiate.
More
28 Apr 2015 13:51 #201578 by engelstein
Sierra Madre just put up pre-orders for the new 'Collectors Edition' of Pax Porfiriana, the new Pax Pamir, Neanderthal, and Greenland 2nd edition. Decided to get the whole bundle, which gives free shipping from Europe.

Usually don't pre-order, but his stuff can be so tough to get after the fact.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, charlest
More
28 Apr 2015 15:21 #201581 by Gary Sax
I'll probably preorder Pax Pamir, but I don't see myself getting the others. I already have Pax Porfiriana...
More
28 Apr 2015 15:39 #201584 by stormseeker75
Wrath of Ashardalon just popped up on Amazon for $36 with Prime shipping. Insta-buy for me.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.637 seconds