October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
12 Feb 2018 00:38 #263419 by Pat II
I've seen all of these except the latest maze runner and they all trend downwards after the first one. Hunger games was still the best of the lot though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2018 08:25 #263426 by Black Barney
I think Hunger Games 2 might be better than the first one. Not sure tho

More
12 Feb 2018 10:33 #263430 by Colorcrayons

Josh Look wrote: I think you got the gist of the whole movie. Energy crisis, blah blah blah, Shepherd not working, blah blah, screaming, repeat. It’s alternate dimension bumping into each other, shit is going wrong in all dimensions because of what happens in this movie, and they show the Cloverfield monster for the idiots who thought 10 Cloverfield Lane was too slow.

I just saved 110 minutes for everyone, you’re welcome.

So... I watched this a few days ago.

The synopsis, is spot on.

Like an obstinate child who refuses to listen to the wisdom of his elders, I just had to experience it all for myself. Only to show that, yet again, father knows best.

I still think that for the Kaiju genre, Cloverfield is the best movie ever made when considering the humanocentric element.

Cloverfield Lane was different, but still pretty damn good. It beats up expectations, but still a solid thriller.

I have no clue what the hell they were thinking here. I expect a lot more from bad robot. Shame too, because the cast is fairly solid and with some more time in preproduction writing and then post production editing, it could have been a really decent sci fi. The budget seemed to be close enough.

The exposition, as you already noted, is pretty ott. But in some other places it isn't nearly enough. It's like they cut out scenes so that they could over explain others...

It reminds me of The Cube. Solid initial offering but by the time the third movie hits, you want to claw your long term memory out with a rusty spoon in order to forget it ever happened.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
22 Feb 2018 18:49 #263862 by Michael Barnes
I could have sworn I saw Black Panther...

Watched an unexpectedly good horror picture on Netflix this morning- an Irish film called A. Dark Song. First time filmmaker, basically a two actor piece. A woman buys a remote manse and hires an occultist to guide her through a long and intense ritual to contact her guardian angel...because she wants to speak to her dead son. There are some twists to that, but it is ultimately a pretty simple story with some very surprising outcomes. It is also unusually uplifting, and spiritually resonant. For all of the darkness, there is true light at the end.

It’s a rare kind of film that treats the occult and magic with a K seriously. It’s not as sensationalist as a Dennis Wheatley kind of story, but it is all about chalk sigils on the floor, purifying the chambers, and don’t break the circle. It’s a quiet and at times subtle film that never goes off the rails as much as you think it’s going to- lots of great dread, lots of slow-burn anticipation. Fans of The VVitch might dig this.

Pretty rare that random horror movie on Netflix turns out to be worth watching, but here we are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Hex Sinister, Josh Look, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons, Unicron

More
22 Feb 2018 20:45 #263864 by Josh Look
Sounds like my kind of thing. I’ll check it out.

More
23 Feb 2018 12:00 #263902 by Gregarius
I saw Black Panther and I was disappointed.

I actually used to love Black Panther as a kid and picked up many of the comics, but my superhero fatigue is strong. I didn't really have any interest in seeing the movie, but the glowing reviews and statements from critics about this being "different" or more "mature" than other Marvel films suckered me in. Lies!

First, the good: The acting, costumes, and set design are all great. I appreciated the smaller scope of the plot-- the stakes were high on a personal level, rather than a global apocalypse. Killmonger is a great villain. The script is clean and has great supporting characters, and all the women are strong.

But now the bad: The same plot beats of every other Marvel movie. The same excessive reliance on CGI. The same "cartoon characters punching each other" fight scenes. The same giant CGI climactic battle at the end. I'm just tired of it.

This is not a bad movie. In fact, I think it's actually a very good movie. But it is NOT anything new or different. It's just another Marvel superhero movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD, Cranberries, Black Barney, Colorcrayons, Vlad

More
24 Feb 2018 00:38 #263934 by Vlad
Annihilation

In short, this is basically Tarkovsky's Stalker + Cronenberg's Fly. Very disturbing, in a good way if you're into that kind of thing. It almost made me remember Ex-Machina (same director, and chances are if you liked that one, you'll like this one, too) like a light romcom.
What I particularly enjoyed is that this is some serious, uncompromising sci-fi. Completely auter, no over-explanations (barely any explanations for that matter), a wtf-is-going-on 3rd act (2001 comes to mind, too).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
24 Feb 2018 14:08 #263950 by Gary Sax
Yeah, my buddy saw this and invited me on Wednesday and I had to take a work call in the evening. It sounded real good.

More
25 Feb 2018 15:19 #263981 by Black Barney
I finally got around to seeing PRIVATE PARTS. Really liked it. I thought it would have gone more into the FCC stuff but it was cool seeing the origin story

More
25 Feb 2018 16:55 #263987 by jason10mm
Watched the Jason Bateman "Game Night" flick. It was pretty damned good, but far from an actual gaming themed film (nothing other than jenga, life, monopoly, and some charades type games were mentioned). For a Bateman flick it was pretty straightforward and not as cynical as he can get. As shown in the trailers, it is almost a parody of the Michael Douglas film "The Game" more than anything else, which was fine with me. The casting was impeccable though, some REALLY good cameos in there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Colorcrayons

More
25 Feb 2018 20:34 #263992 by Disgustipater
I also enjoyed Game Night. I quite liked the music, which is rare that I even notice.

Though I can't imagine having a regular game night where you play Charades, Pictionary, etc. Like a living nightmare.

More
25 Feb 2018 21:52 #263999 by Cranberries

Gregarius wrote: But now the bad: The same plot beats of every other Marvel movie. The same excessive reliance on CGI. The same "cartoon characters punching each other" fight scenes. The same giant CGI climactic battle at the end. I'm just tired of it.

This is not a bad movie. In fact, I think it's actually a very good movie. But it is NOT anything new or different. It's just another Marvel superhero movie.

My wife commented that it is a fine Marvel movie for someone who doesn't watch every single Marvel movie. My daughters are going next week but I don't think I need to see it twice.

Attachments:

More
26 Feb 2018 07:58 #264006 by hotseatgames
I watched the new Netflix sci-fi movie, Mute. This sounds like I'm telling a joke, but the main character is an Amish bartender who can't speak, and works in a strip club that has robot strippers in it. His girlfriend is a server there, and hi-jinx ensue.

It's a good movie, but I don't think it's good sci-fi. Nothing about the story dictates that it should be set in the future, and in m opinion, the best sci-fi says something about our current times; this doesn't do that. But again, it is a good movie. If you've already burned through Altered Carbon, watch this.

More
26 Feb 2018 08:15 - 26 Feb 2018 08:21 #264007 by Michael Barnes
Here is a counterpoint. I thought Mute was awkward, ugly, amateur, and borderline unwatchable. It plays like a student film from concept to corny homage overload to execution. The actress that played the blue haired girl, it was almost like you can imagine asking the girl in your editing class to be in your movie but she’s gotta dye her hair blue with some Manic Panic and wear blue lipstick. BECAUSE SCIFI. Amish mute dude in a cyberpunk setting is a pretty lame idea to begin with, but throw in hammy melodramatic beats and a cheesedick noir plot and you’ve got something about as appetizing as a gas station ham and cheese sandwich.

Some folks are praising the surgeons...no idea why. Characters we’ve seen a thousand times, filtered through quirk. I kept thinking of how much more awesome Willem Dafoe was in Existenz, playing a similar kind of role.

I found myself asking- just like I did with Altered Carbon- why the fuck would I watch this shit in a world where Blade Runner 2049 exists?

Duncan Jones has really turned out to be a disappointment after such a promising start. He didn’t need eye-rolling “I’m David Bowie’s son” references before, why now.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2018 08:21 by Michael Barnes.

More
26 Feb 2018 08:52 #264010 by hotseatgames
"borderline unwatchable" is overly harsh... maybe I've just seen worse movies than you. I have seen Cop and a Half.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.915 seconds