October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
06 Feb 2018 13:03 - 06 Feb 2018 13:04 #262998 by Not Sure
Yes, BLACK PANTHER is the movie I'm hyped to see right now. I've posted many times about my oversaturation with superhero movies, but I don't care here.

When all of Black Hollywood gets a chance to make a movie together like this, I'm fucking watching it.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2018 13:04 by Not Sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2018 13:15 #263000 by Shellhead
I was only 7 years old when I first encountered the classic Panther's Rage storyline in Jungle Action. I already recognized Black Panther from Avengers comics, but his own comic was amazing. The dialogue was heavy and a bit over my head, but I kept re-visiting that run as I gradually tracked down each issue, and by age 10, I could tell that the writing was on a level beyond the other comics I was reading at the time. Then I started seeing good writing in other Marvel books of the day: Master of Kung-Fu, Astonishing Tales (Deathlok), and Amazing Adventures (Killraven). It was like the medium was growing up along with me, and this was going to be a life-long hobby. I would still be buying comics if not for the insane price of single issues, though I still keep up somewhat thanks to the well-stocked public library.

Judging by the villain, I think there is a strong possibility that this movie will be at least partially based on Panther's Rage. I hope they go the full distance, with zombies and white apes and dinosaurs, but they will probably dial some of that back so the mainstream audience can handle it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Nodens

More
06 Feb 2018 13:19 - 06 Feb 2018 13:20 #263001 by bfkiller
A dude in Toronto had a great crowdfunding idea. He raised (last I heard) over $15,000 to take inner city black kids to see Black Panther. He himself is a huge fan of the character and wanted to ensure local kids without money could a) have fun at a blockbuster movie that hasn't been whitewashed, and b) expose them to a strong black character in the mainstream.

(He raised way more money than needed for what he set out to do so the remainder was going to go to a charity that benefits the same demographic.)
Last edit: 06 Feb 2018 13:20 by bfkiller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jeb, Black Barney, Gregarius, Nodens

More
06 Feb 2018 13:25 #263004 by RobertB
jeb wrote:

What about ANT-MAN? Anyone see that? I got it from the local library and ripped it. Should I bother?

It's worth watching.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Nodens

More
06 Feb 2018 13:49 #263008 by Michael Barnes

More
06 Feb 2018 13:59 #263010 by Michael Barnes
I actually think it may be IMPORTANT to go see Black Panther...

More
06 Feb 2018 14:10 - 06 Feb 2018 14:13 #263013 by Shellhead
A page from Panther's Rage:

Last edit: 06 Feb 2018 14:13 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
06 Feb 2018 14:10 #263014 by ChristopherMD
Never been interested in the Black Panther character or even know anything about him other than what was in Civil War. Didn't see Ant-Man or Doctor Strange in theaters for the same reason that I'm just not a fan of the characters. Saw both of those movies at home and didn't hate them but didn't feel like I'd have missed out on anything never seeing them. What's so great about Black Panther that its a must see in theaters? The trailer didn't entice me.

More
06 Feb 2018 14:11 #263015 by Cranberries

jeb wrote: I hear you, Gregarius. I haven't seen RAGNAROK which I heard was good. And I only just caught GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Vol 2 when it hit HBO or whatever last month. I don't even remember what the last AVENGERS movie was... CIVIL WAR? Was there one after that? Those are all too much. I liked WONDER WOMAN but I haven't seen any of the other DC ones. They look bad, and review bad, and are bad from what I gather. Who's got time for that? I also skipped all the SPIDER-MAN stuff.

What about ANT-MAN? Anyone see that? I got it from the local library and ripped it. Should I bother?

The great thing about Ragnarok is that it's funny, in a weirdly New Zealand way. In the future Marvel plans to explore other features of film, such as rich characterization, and unique plots.

I saw Ant Man in the dollar theater, in the winter, with my kids and two hundred other people. We had a good time, laughed out, and then couldn't remember a single frame of the movie 20 minutes later. That discount theater is closed now, which is a real loss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, Nodens

More
06 Feb 2018 14:14 - 06 Feb 2018 14:16 #263017 by Shellhead
More Panther's Rage:

Last edit: 06 Feb 2018 14:16 by Shellhead.

More
06 Feb 2018 14:15 - 06 Feb 2018 14:20 #263018 by Nodens

RobertB wrote: jeb wrote:

It's worth watching.

+1 yeah, still the most fun Marvel Movie in my book. A must if you enjoy dumb people fucking up really simple plans. Very close to the tested origin formula, just with a lot of real life stupidity.
Saw Ragnarok and Guardians 2 last week, mostly for completeness reasons. I might not remember having seen them this time next year. Right now I'm just angry they killed Yondu, the most interesting character.
Edit: Forgot about the New Zealand Thing. That is actually huge. It's like they saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople and gave the movie to the guy who made that: 'we liked what you did, so you'll never have to work again'. He even brought in that nasty police lady to play a part.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2018 14:20 by Nodens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
06 Feb 2018 14:17 - 06 Feb 2018 14:24 #263019 by Shellhead
Last edit: 06 Feb 2018 14:24 by Shellhead.

More
06 Feb 2018 14:17 #263020 by boothwah

jeb wrote: I hear you, Gregarius. I haven't seen RAGNAROK which I heard was good. And I only just caught GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Vol 2 when it hit HBO or whatever last month. I don't even remember what the last AVENGERS movie was... CIVIL WAR? Was there one after that? Those are all too much. I liked WONDER WOMAN but I haven't seen any of the other DC ones. They look bad, and review bad, and are bad from what I gather. Who's got time for that? I also skipped all the SPIDER-MAN stuff.

I love it. It's a heist movie, that has super tech in it. And it's a good heist movie. A lot like Winter Soldier was a a good espionage movie that had super heroes in it.

More
06 Feb 2018 14:27 #263024 by Black Barney

More
06 Feb 2018 14:42 #263027 by jeb

Mad Dog wrote: What's so great about Black Panther that its a must see in theaters? The trailer didn't entice me.

You didn't like the Run The Jewels trailer?! This is one of the best trailers I have ever seen.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.663 seconds