October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2646 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
05 Feb 2018 12:03 #262849 by Colorcrayons

Gary Sax wrote: Random question. I was, weirdly, thinking about Kong: Skull Island, which I really liked. I looked it up on the internet and found out that the 2014 Godzilla film is in the same universe. Is it any good? I'd seek it out if it's anywhere near as good as Kong: Skull Island, but I have my doubts.

There are fleeting bits of the movie that are quite good, and show promise of making it into a legit Godzilla flick.

But... Moments like "monsters are about to get down and rumble! Woohoo!" Then they pan the scene to some ridiculous bit soap opera drama, or anywhere but what actually matters, and you feel a mentally raped. The producers are mocking you.

So, ok to watch once, but the whole package is a damned shame. Not worth hunting down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2018 12:57 #262858 by Black Barney
what the heck is this cloverfield people are talking about? I have no idea what that is. I guess it's something that appeared during the Super Bowl?

More
05 Feb 2018 13:02 #262859 by Josh Look
They dropped a teaser for a third film during Super Bowl that went up on Netflix immediately after the game.

What is it really? Low rent-Alien/Event Horizon knockoff that had some Cloverfield tie-ins in post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
05 Feb 2018 13:11 #262862 by Michael Barnes
Here is an example of how the dialogue in that movie works:

"Hey Black Barney, we are having a national disaster because Trump is president."

"I'm so sorry Michael. Ever since Trump became president, I know that your country has been having a national disaster"

"That's right, a national disaster because Trump is president. Things got real bad real quick."

(Cut to news broadcast footage) "America is having a national disaster because Trump is president"

There was one part where I laughed at how bad the dialogue is- there's a newscast where this dude is talking about how dangerous this Shepherd device or whatever is and he's talking about how there could be demons, monsters and even "beasts from the sea". Who the fuck would ever talk like that?

"Black Barney, don't read the Necronomicon. It could unleash monsters, demons, and even beasts from the sea!"

"Whoa, I didn't realize that reading the Necronomicon could unleash monsters, demons and beasts from the sea!"

"And Trump is still president, which is a national disaster!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Hex Sinister, Black Barney, Colorcrayons, Gregarius, Nodens

More
05 Feb 2018 13:56 #262873 by Black Barney
no but in all seriousness you need to be careful with anything that can release beasts from the sea
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
05 Feb 2018 15:19 #262879 by Gregarius
Shit. I was happily prepared to ignore this movie, but now that terrible dialog is tempting me to witness the awfulness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
05 Feb 2018 15:26 #262881 by Black Barney
/same

there's also some spoiled milk in the office fridge that i'm hearing about which i will probably end up smelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Colorcrayons

More
06 Feb 2018 11:08 #262977 by RobertB
Atomic Blonde - saw the trailers way back when I saw Wonder Woman (I think). The impression I got from previews was that it was a Kingsman-flavored spy romp, but it was definitely a darker sort of movie. Once I got used to that and shifted my mental gears, it was okay.

More
06 Feb 2018 11:10 #262978 by jeb
Anyone else here shitting themselves about BLACK PANTHER? I am going to watch the hell out of this movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Not Sure

More
06 Feb 2018 11:15 - 06 Feb 2018 11:28 #262979 by Mr. White

jeb wrote: Anyone else here shitting themselves about BLACK PANTHER? I am going to watch the hell out of this movie.

Eh, I dunno. Seems like the further the character is from the Avengers, the more I've liked the movie.

Also, I thought it would have been cool if the Black Panther was actually leading the Wakandans in this charge. Isn't he their King or something? Why is Cap, a foreign national, out in front? (and with that murderous Bucky Barnes to boot!)

EDIT: Looks like this film is getting high marks though. Could be good.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2018 11:28 by Mr. White.

More
06 Feb 2018 11:27 #262981 by jeb
"Excuse me, waiter? There's a woke dude in my soup."

I kid, I kid. FUCKING WAKANDA MAN. I don't give a shit about how anything else works except Wakanda being badass and Black Panther being badass, and everything being super extra duper bad-to-the-ass.

More
06 Feb 2018 11:29 #262982 by Mr. White
Ha! That's a still from the new Avengers film, not the Black Panther.

My bad.

More
06 Feb 2018 11:56 #262987 by Gregarius
I hear good things about Black Panther, but damn if I'm not tired of these superhero movies. I'm sure I'll see it eventually, but not for a few weeks at least. At least it has been easy to ignore the DC movies so far (except Wonder Woman, of course).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 Feb 2018 12:14 - 06 Feb 2018 12:15 #262990 by jeb
I hear you, Gregarius. I haven't seen RAGNAROK which I heard was good. And I only just caught GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Vol 2 when it hit HBO or whatever last month. I don't even remember what the last AVENGERS movie was... CIVIL WAR? Was there one after that? Those are all too much. I liked WONDER WOMAN but I haven't seen any of the other DC ones. They look bad, and review bad, and are bad from what I gather. Who's got time for that? I also skipped all the SPIDER-MAN stuff.

What about ANT-MAN? Anyone see that? I got it from the local library and ripped it. Should I bother?
Last edit: 06 Feb 2018 12:15 by jeb.

More
06 Feb 2018 12:57 #262997 by Michael Barnes

jeb wrote: Anyone else here shitting themselves about BLACK PANTHER? I am going to watch the hell out of this movie.

I am. It looks totally bad ass, and I am really excited about seeing Wakanda, which is one of the coolest ideas Marvel ever had. I am also excited to take my kids to see it, I think it is really important for them to see that heroes are not always white dudes and that other cultures can be awesome and powerful. I think this is the first Marvel film that has the potential to be truly significant, more than just fun. It may be exactly the movie we need at a time when racists are in control of our government and we have a sitting president that calls countries full of dark skinned people “shitholes”.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Not Sure

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.595 seconds