October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
03 Feb 2018 10:53 #262729 by Mr. White
I recall hearing about a bunch of Avatar stuff to be released (films, shows, something, i dunno), but when did Avatar come out? 10 years ago? What's the hold up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2018 11:08 - 03 Feb 2018 11:09 #262730 by Black Barney
Yeah alien3 is no good, I tried rewatching it a couple weeks back and just couldn’t stick with it

White, that’s what Cameron has been working on. I think it’s going to be a bunch of movies
Last edit: 03 Feb 2018 11:09 by Black Barney.

More
03 Feb 2018 11:20 #262731 by Michael Barnes
How come there isn't an Avatar board game?

When my friend Keren showed me his prototype for Xenoshyft, the running joke became that it was Avatar: The Game. The original art he did was way more Avatar than grimdark like what they went with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
03 Feb 2018 11:31 #262732 by Mr. White

Black Barney wrote: White, that’s what Cameron has been working on. I think it’s going to be a bunch of movies

10 years though?
How long did it take to make the first one?

I think Jackson filmed all 100hrs of the LotR trilogy in less time.

More
03 Feb 2018 11:49 #262734 by Black Barney
I think he wants to do a franchise series Soup to nuts Like Jackson did.

More
03 Feb 2018 12:30 #262736 by Colorcrayons

stoic wrote: How come there isn't an Avatar board game?

There is. They just accidentally called it Nexus Ops several years before avatar came out.

More
03 Feb 2018 13:01 #262739 by stoic

Colorcrayons wrote:

stoic wrote: How come there isn't an Avatar board game?

There is. They just accidentally called it Nexus Ops several years before avatar came out.

Nexus Ops is very close, but, where's the indigenous population fighting off the evil corporations in Nexus Ops? I think that the corporations in Nexus Ops tamed them and use them as soldiers? I'm vaguely recalling another now forgotten game called Cry Havoc (how is it, by the way)? I've never played it, but, didn't it have an indigenous population fighting off the alien invaders exploiting their planet? That might be a good fit.

More
03 Feb 2018 17:41 #262743 by hotseatgames

Michael Barnes wrote: Which version? It makes a pretty big difference. I don’t think it would change your mind. But the other cuts do improve on it quite a lot.

Whatever is on HBO at the moment.

More
05 Feb 2018 10:23 - 05 Feb 2018 10:35 #262832 by Josh Look
The Cloverfield Paradox.

I am a fan of this series, if you can even call it that. I enjoyed the first one well enough for being something different in the giant monster genre and for having the gall to not explain anything. I loved the second one, batshit ending and all. Whether or not it was intended to be what it turned out to be is irrelevant, I think what it does with just 3 actors and 2 sets is pretty incredible.

But this thing they dropped last night. Man...total disappointment. That they announced the title, the trailer, and released the movie all within the span of, what, two hours? That’s exactly the kind of marketing I love about this series. But 5 minutes in and it’s clear why this is on streaming and not in theaters. Lots of shoddy writing. None of the suspense or tension the other movies had, especially after what’s going on is explained. Even that bit falls flat, as it is fully put out as a possibility in the first 10 minutes.

Worst of all, this movie is made to please an audience who I feel are taking the magic out of genre cinema. They need everything explained to them. This is why you hear the term “plot hole” thrown around so much these days, because there is this group of people who cannot fill in the blanks with their own imagination. See, this movie is meant to establish why this series is an anthology, unrelated in all ways to each other outside of their mysterious marketing. The explaination is paper thin and it’s obvious that it was all added in post production. At least 10 Cloverfield Lane saves that bit for the end, but it’s all over this mess of a movie and it stands out loud and clear.

The explanation of why this is a “universe” is going to let that aforementioned audience down, as it is so tacked on and barely makes any sense. Even without the Cloverfield smatterings of paint here and there, this would have been a very weak space horror film.

Awful. Just awful.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2018 10:35 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons

More
05 Feb 2018 10:36 #262833 by Michael Barnes
How many times in the first ten minutes does a character explicitly state some variation of “energy supplies are running out”. Then in the next ten we are told repeatedly that the Shepherd Drive isn’t working.

I fell asleep. Woke up when somebody was stuck in a wall screaming. Thought “oh, like the Philadelphia Experiment” and went back to sleep.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
05 Feb 2018 10:45 - 05 Feb 2018 10:46 #262835 by Josh Look
I think you got the gist of the whole movie. Energy crisis, blah blah blah, Shepherd not working, blah blah, screaming, repeat. It’s alternate dimension bumping into each other, shit is going wrong in all dimensions because of what happens in this movie, and they show the Cloverfield monster for the idiots who thought 10 Cloverfield Lane was too slow.

I just saved 110 minutes for everyone, you’re welcome.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2018 10:46 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
05 Feb 2018 10:49 #262838 by Shellhead
I don't see movies in the theater often anymore, and when I do, I often encounter a problem with at least one person in the audience if the theater is at least half full. So when I see movies these days, I often try to go at off-peak times. So I finally saw The Last Jedi yesterday, during the Super Bowl. There were only twenty people in the theater, so it was perfect viewing conditions. I know that we have a whole thread about The Last Jedi, so I will comment on the movie there.

More
05 Feb 2018 11:03 - 05 Feb 2018 11:04 #262839 by hotseatgames

stoic wrote: I'm vaguely recalling another now forgotten game called Cry Havoc (how is it, by the way)? I've never played it, but, didn't it have an indigenous population fighting off the alien invaders exploiting their planet? That might be a good fit.

It is a good fit. It's also a good game, but I think it gets overshadowed by other games in the genre, perhaps unfairly. Unfortunately I haven't spent enough time with it to say anything definitive; it's one of those that demands repeat plays before you really see how things work.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2018 11:04 by hotseatgames.

More
05 Feb 2018 11:24 #262842 by Gary Sax
Random question. I was, weirdly, thinking about Kong: Skull Island, which I really liked. I looked it up on the internet and found out that the 2014 Godzilla film is in the same universe. Is it any good? I'd seek it out if it's anywhere near as good as Kong: Skull Island, but I have my doubts.

More
05 Feb 2018 11:26 #262843 by Josh Look

Gary Sax wrote: Random question. I was, weirdly, thinking about Kong: Skull Island, which I really liked. I looked it up on the internet and found out that the 2014 Godzilla film is in the same universe. Is it any good? I'd seek it out if it's anywhere near as good as Kong: Skull Island, but I have my doubts.

Avoid at all costs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.986 seconds