Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 21 Oct 2017 16:08 #256145

Blade Runner. meh. as a cinema experience, it was OK but the film didnt really know what it wanted to be, and it didnt add anything worthwhile to the original storyline IMO. Underwhelmed.
  • Tron
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 6
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 21 Oct 2017 17:40 #256146

I mentioned a while ago that I am rewatching movies discussed on the "Unjustly Maligned" podcast and it was the turn of the film that inspired the quote "Anyone can watch and enjoy a film that is good the first time you watch it. It takes dedication to watch a film that isn't good until you've watched it 10 times", 1980's Popeye.

I was underwhelmed when I saw this on video many years ago, but I can see why the occasional person loves this film. They got a whole bunch of artists who are highly acclaimed but the wrong choice for a big budget family musical, dumped them in the middle of nowhere in a blizzard of cocaine, and you end up with this bizarre film that is akin to a freeform jazz experiment. It is just a mess with so much going on, some of it is fantastic, but much of it bizarre and unintelligible. I probably laughed out loud twice, which isn't good for a comedy, and the only song that stuck in my head was "He Needs Me", but that is probably only due to its mini-revival 15 years ago in Punch Drunk Love.

I didn't particularly like it but I did find it fascinating in a way, mainly trying to work out why it doesn't work and why those involved thought it could work (whose idea was it to have Harry Nilsson do the music is insane, as while "Everybody's Talking" from Midnight Cowboy is a great song, it isn't the right style for a comedy musical).
Last Edit: 21 Oct 2017 18:47 by Ancient_of_MuMu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 21 Oct 2017 18:06 #256148

Weird! I was just thinking about Popeye a few days ago and thinking I wanted to watch it again.

It is one of the most misguided, awkward Hollywood films of all time. Such a strange movie, and such a mismatched bunch of players...although Shelly Duvall was clearly born to play Olive Oyl.

It exists only because Robert Evans couldn't get the rights to Annie. So he bought another Sunday funnies/musical property. Who knows why he thought Robert Altman was the man to direct it...but you know, somehow the constant chattering and mumbling fits his style as well as Popeye.

It's a mess. But it's also a pretty elaborate, interesting production. They actually built that town in Malta (WTF) and left it- you can still go visit it, its kind of a tourist attraction. For all 20-30 Popeye movie fans out there, I guess.

Maybe the oddest thing is that it is a Disney picture, it was on the same deal with Dragonslayer.

I saw it in the theater when I was 5...I remember thinking it was really weird...but look at the Popeye cartoons, totally nuts.
  • Michael Barnes
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 5915

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 21 Oct 2017 18:44 #256149

There is this great dinner scene about 20 minutes in that is the epitome of the film. It is very Altman with multiple overlapping dialogue, the stuff he does so well in films like Gosford Park, and Robin Williams is wandering around doing subtle physical comedy, and it just a mess. There is too much going on, you can't focus on any one thing as you keep getting distracted by other things and completely miss what is going on. Watching that I understood why it was said you needed to watch it 10+ times to see it's greatness. For about 30-40 minutes I could see it as a complicated difficult masterpiece, but then it just got boring and lost its idiosyncratic charm. I think if the script was better I would be able to tolerate those 10 viewings, but it is obvious that the scriptwriter is the only key person who is useless (he did nothing else of note though did win an Oscar for a short).

Along with Shelley Duvall, Bill Irwin is also perfect, though very problematic as he steals all his scenes but there is never any reason for him to be around as effectively he is just a featured extra.

EDIT: My wife hated it but said it should be compulsory study in film school because there are so many elements that could be great in other films but don't work here and a budding filmmaker should try to work out why.
Last Edit: 21 Oct 2017 18:51 by Ancient_of_MuMu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 21 Oct 2017 20:04 #256151

Duvall is so insanely hot in that movie, I lose my mind everytime
  • Black Barney
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2723
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds