October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

I tried VR tonight

More
02 Dec 2017 23:26 #258561 by Cranberries
I was walking around downtown Provo Utah and some college kids had a VR shop, so we paid five bucks for ten minutes and put on HTC headsets connected to gaming PCs. The first demo has you go up an elevator and when the doors open you are faced with a plank that extends about three feet over the city. My wife refused to walk off of it, and I mocked her. Then it was my turn, and I screamed when the doors opened, then had to force myself to inch my way along it until I plummeted to my death and then saw white light and heard angels singing. The other demo has you flying around the city in a jetpack, putting out fires. Once this looks lifelike it's going to be amazing.

The group also wanted to go play a boardgame at the new cafe, but said there's no way that I'm selling my collection and then going to pay some strangers five bucks to play their games.

The end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2017 23:40 #258562 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic I tried VR tonight
We have the PSVR and it is pretty damn cool. There is a game where you are fighting space spiders on an alien planet that was unsettling for me since I am not a fan of spiders. In Skyrim VR. you can go underwater and when you look up, but can't surface for whatever reason, I had drowning fears come to the forefront of my mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 Dec 2017 00:10 #258563 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic I tried VR tonight
I have panic breathing problems when I take swim lessons.

More
03 Dec 2017 00:31 #258564 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic I tried VR tonight
Dactyl Nightmare.

More
03 Dec 2017 01:18 #258568 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic I tried VR tonight
I have had a HTC Vive for a year, and while it doesn't see a lot of use, it is pretty amazing when it all works out. When playing the Counter-Strike-like Onward, the first time you take your hand up to your head and "pull down" your night vision, it's a damn cool thing.

I have resisted purchasing Fallout 4 in hopes that the VR version will be good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
03 Dec 2017 03:11 #258570 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic I tried VR tonight
I’ve had an Oculus Rift for a few months. Consistently mind-blowing, with amazing games, media, experiences, etc. And it’s all still in its infancy.

Currently obsessed with a game called From Other Suns, which is like a first person experience of FTL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
03 Dec 2017 09:16 #258572 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic I tried VR tonight
I'd like to have a setup where I do all of my work related tasks on the computer by walking through a high resolution VR forest, and all of my tasks are converted to a game interface that interprets those tasks and converts them into actually interesting activities. So grading papers would be transformed into getting into a sword fight with the Black Knight. Or comma splices would show up as minor threats, and when I kill a minor baddie, the AI would paste the correct comment into the paper.

I guess this is why people go to work drunk.

More
03 Dec 2017 09:31 #258574 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic I tried VR tonight
If VR is really triggering fears of drowning, that’s pretty frickin incredible. It sounds like it finally is getting where it should be.

And I love the idea of these board game cafes , it’s like renting cars instead of owning. You save a ton of space and there’s no overhead inventory cost. Plus, i hate hosting people over for some reason. I’m always worried they’ll run into my pr0n DVDs

More
03 Dec 2017 10:23 #258575 by gversace
Replied by gversace on topic I tried VR tonight
I have PSVR, and the X-Wing mission in the first Star Wars Battlefront is awesome. I'm generally disappointed in the available content, though. I just got a new PC that can handle VR, is there anything good for Oculus? I think I'm most interested in cockpit games. Something like Mechwarrior would be awesome.

More
03 Dec 2017 21:28 #258588 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic I tried VR tonight

Black Barney wrote: And I love the idea of these board game cafes , it’s like renting cars instead of owning. You save a ton of space and there’s no overhead inventory cost.

I dunno man, haven’t you been reading the politics thread? If you rent a car, it will be completely covered in shit and puke. Why would board games be any different?*

*might improve some games

More
04 Dec 2017 04:44 #258595 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic I tried VR tonight
I'd love, love, love to try VR games, but it's not going to happen. I can't justify the expense for something that I'd never play. With kids on the TV or the computer all the time and my attention being pulled this way and that, I have almost no opportunitues to sit and focus my attention on play for any extended period of time.

More
04 Dec 2017 09:28 #258602 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic I tried VR tonight

gversace wrote: I have PSVR, and the X-Wing mission in the first Star Wars Battlefront is awesome. I'm generally disappointed in the available content, though. I just got a new PC that can handle VR, is there anything good for Oculus? I think I'm most interested in cockpit games. Something like Mechwarrior would be awesome.

Have you tried the Eve space combat game? I have it, but haven't loaded it up yet. I saw that Dirt 3 should be on PSVR and I am eager to try that. I want to sit in my Sumo beanbag and drive/fly. If a WW2/WW1 combat game came to PSVR, heaven.

More
04 Dec 2017 17:39 #258615 by gversace
Replied by gversace on topic I tried VR tonight
I have Eve, but that one is multiplayer focused, and I don't have the time to dedicate to that.

More
04 Dec 2017 18:42 #258621 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic I tried VR tonight
I tried VR once at GenCon, back in the early/mid-'90s. It was the game where you shoot pterodactyls. I could see the potential, but the actual experience was only mildly interesting.

More
04 Dec 2017 19:46 - 04 Dec 2017 19:46 #258626 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic I tried VR tonight
Shell, we’re talking about technology here, I would wager the experience has become somewhat enhanced.

There’s people in this thread talking about feeling real emotions through this. Sounds like it’s getting there.
Last edit: 04 Dec 2017 19:46 by Black Barney.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.530 seconds