October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What have you been EATING lately?

More
11 Apr 2017 04:08 #246326 by Sevej
Hahaha... usually it looks like this:

With veggies and sambal (chili sauce).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2017 04:40 #246327 by Michael Barnes
God that looks good. LOVE sambal.

More
11 Apr 2017 09:10 #246331 by Black Barney
did Sevej change his avatar? I hate these j-rpg images cuz I have no idea if it's a boy or girl. All I know is i'm attracted to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
11 Apr 2017 09:28 #246334 by Cranberries

Michael Barnes wrote: See folks, this is what is wrong with the Canadian national character. I have been a vegetarian for 25 years but I love some mother****ing BBQ. Granted, I make it with fake meat, but the spirit is the same. And the sauce...as long as it is not that thin, vinegar-based sauce. Or that abomination that is mayonnaise based sauce.

What are you using for fake meat?

More
11 Apr 2017 21:13 - 11 Apr 2017 21:14 #246390 by Sevej

Black Barney wrote: did Sevej change his avatar? I hate these j-rpg images cuz I have no idea if it's a boy or girl. All I know is i'm attracted to it.

It's a girl

swerc.deviantart.com/art/Female-paladin-217631323

Just had bubur ayam (chicken porridge) for my breakfast. Sorry for the gross picture. Rice porridge with tiny chicken meat slices, garnished with emping, cakwe, crackers, sliced leeks. I think they added chicken broth and also sweet soy sauce.

With quail eggs on a stick. Very common breakfast for Indonesian.

Last edit: 11 Apr 2017 21:14 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, Cranberries, Black Barney, SuperflyPete

More
11 Apr 2017 21:25 #246392 by Michael Barnes

cranberries wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: See folks, this is what is wrong with the Canadian national character. I have been a vegetarian for 25 years but I love some mother****ing BBQ. Granted, I make it with fake meat, but the spirit is the same. And the sauce...as long as it is not that thin, vinegar-based sauce. Or that abomination that is mayonnaise based sauce.

What are you using for fake meat?

For BBQ, I usually use either Gardein (the chicken scallopini or the beef tips) or Quorn. They tend to do pretty well, even on the grill. I also sometimes use wheat gluten-based meats...especially this stuff from a vegan butcher shop (yes) in Brooklyn. They have some really good stuff but it kind of all has the same taste. The Beyond Meat stuff is OK (pea protein) but it's a little too dense.

Occasionally I will get one of the products from the Chinese/Asian grocery. A lot of vegetarians don't know this, but they have a ton of meat substitute stuff. The ham (which comes disconcertingly in a log) makes a GREAT ersatz pulled pork if you shred it. I hate shrimp, but the vegan shrimp is uncanny. It's made with like potatoes and konyaku or something. It makes good grilled shrimp, according to my wife. But this stuff is made in China, so...I dunno.

Field Roast stuff is awesome. Their franks are the best.

Jackfruit is WAY overhyped as a meat substitute. It SUCKS. It does not in any way make a good fake BBQ sandwich. It has a weird texture and a strange, almost sour taste.

I never cook or eat tofu.

More
11 Apr 2017 21:27 #246393 by Michael Barnes
BTW, I kind of want this thread to become "What is SEVEJ eating".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SebastianBludd, Black Barney

More
11 Apr 2017 21:40 #246395 by dysjunct
The local sports bar has jackfruit sliders that are pretty good. Not fine dining, but I don't have an issue with the texture or detect a sour taste.

Tonight was cold rice noodles tossed with a spicy peanut/rice vinegar sauce and home-pickled radishes and cucumbers, on a bed of bitter greens. All the veggies were from our CSA share and super fresh.

More
11 Apr 2017 23:20 #246397 by Cranberries
For some reason I had a mental image of many F:ATties eating bowels of Captain Crunch with beer instead of milk. Oh how wrong I was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
12 Apr 2017 09:24 #246412 by Da Bid Dabid
Cranberries I'll start posting photos of the taco bell lunch I had yesterday and Jet's Pizza boxes next to empty cans of High Life in my backyard to reinforce your stereotypes.

To be fair its fun to indulge in both sides of the food spectrum and I do mix it up with the finer side from time to time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
12 Apr 2017 09:37 #246413 by Msample

cranberries wrote: For some reason I had a mental image of many F:ATties eating bowels of Captain Crunch with beer instead of milk. Oh how wrong I was.

A college roommate used to go to Watkins Glen 24 hour race; the traditional breakfast being Fruit Loops doused with Bartles and James wine coolers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SuperflyPete

More
12 Apr 2017 10:25 #246415 by SuperflyPete
Jaymes. Bartles and Jaymes. Oh, God as my witness, there's no faster path between a human and a face in a toilet stall than Strawberry Daquiri Bartles and Jaymes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
12 Apr 2017 10:44 #246417 by Black Barney
i used to bring Bartle and Jaymes to house parties in high school. The only action I'd get would be if the girl was already passed out.

More
12 Apr 2017 12:15 - 12 Apr 2017 12:25 #246421 by Jexik
The lady has been trying out the Keto diet. Which is very low carb (<30g per day), with high fat, and moderate protein. This means that there's more butter on everything, we're not afraid of bacon or the dark meat of poultry, and that we put heavy cream in our coffee instead of milk or some fake shit in it. We had switched to whole milk even before this, because I'm pretty damn sure that skim milk is a dairy industry conspiracy so they can siphon off the fat to also make butter. The 1970s-1980s war on fat in diets in America never had a strong causal relationship between heart disease or any of the stuff we've been told for decades. We still use a bunch of broccoli and other vegetables, but any dish that would formerly have rice, potatoes, carrots, or noodles just doesn't. Or she'll put them aside and just the kid and I will eat it.

The kid and I still intersperse some cereal and a bit more fruit in there. For awhile I've been making smoothies in the morning for the two of us. Our blender can't chop ice at all, so I make sure to use at least one banana every time to give it some thickness. Then it's whole milk and berry-of-choice, with a small or half orange tossed in for tanginess. Breakfast is almost always meat and eggs. The school breakfasts are insane! 100g of carbs including Chocolate Skim Milk!

In general I'm not a big fan of foods that masquerade as other foods. I like noodles, and I'll eat some chopped up zucchini, but zoodles or cauliflower rice, or that BBQ jackfruit abomination? Blech!
Last edit: 12 Apr 2017 12:25 by Jexik.

More
12 Apr 2017 12:42 #246423 by SuperflyPete
I always marvel at the fact that we are told to eat certain things, but our 100 year old grandparents were raised on tallow, lard, bacon, eggs, biscuits, sausage, and other things now deemed enemies of the state.

The only diet that actually extends life and reduces body fat is the GOYA-SOYA diet. I didn't invent it, but I named it as such.

(Get Off Your Ass - Stay Off Your Ass)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds