October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
21 Jun 2017 11:28 - 21 Jun 2017 18:48 #250223 by hotseatgames
Lords of Hellas looks really good. Mainly the base game. Some of the add-ons seem a bit suspect.
www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealm...hellas?ref=user_menu
Last edit: 21 Jun 2017 18:48 by hotseatgames.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2017 23:31 #250476 by hotseatgames
Lords of Hellas just has a few hours left. I'm getting it. With as much stuff as they have thrown in, even if I don't like the game, I can sell it for a profit. I think most parts of the game look great though.

More
27 Jun 2017 00:18 #250481 by Frohike
I'm the Zombicide guy at game group, so... Green Horde it is. I'd accuse Hellas of being a bit paint-by-numbers, but my prior sentence would invalidate that judgement. ;)

More
27 Jun 2017 08:11 #250485 by the_jake_1973

Frohike wrote: I'm the Zombicide guy at game group, so... Green Horde it is. I'd accuse Hellas of being a bit paint-by-numbers, but my prior sentence would invalidate that judgement. ;)

I've gone all in on this one as well. The figures look great.

More
27 Jun 2017 23:06 #250525 by SebastianBludd

Frohike wrote: I'm the Zombicide guy at game group, so... Green Horde it is. I'd accuse Hellas of being a bit paint-by-numbers, but my prior sentence would invalidate that judgement. ;)

I like Zombicide and love the idea of modern, Romero-style zombies in a medieval fantasy setting, but I'm neck deep in dudes-on-a-grid games (Siege of the Citadel, Shadows of Brimstone, Space Crusade, Doom, etc.) so hopefully I can either trade for a copy of Green Horde/Black Plague cheap or play someone else's copy.

In the last couple of weeks I've gotten my final shipments of Shadows of Brimstone and Cthulhu Wars Onslaught 2. I let someone piggyback onto my Brimstone pledge in exchange for them paying for Wave 1.5 shipping, so I felt bad for him when my two add-ons - Derelict Ship other world expansion and Hellfire Succubi mission pack - delayed the final shipment. Thankfully, he's had his Wave 1.5 stuff for months as the extra shipping charge covered both pledges.

A couple nights ago I organized Cthulhu Wars (again) and figured out how to store the miniatures for all 8 factions (as well as the plastic gates) in the base game box, so tonight was unpacking all the great old one and monster expansions. My only nitpick is that about half the time the silhouettes on the loyalty cards are from a wonky angle, making it hard to match them up to the correct miniature, so I ended up labeling the bottom of each one with a fine point sharpie.

Onslaught also came with custom dice for several of the factions, some errata versions of a few of the faction/neutral spellbooks, and I also bought the Shining Trapezohedron plastic token upgrade add-on; so all of that means more sorting to make sure my playing copy has the best and/or updated versions of all the components. I like the new plastic elder sign tokens, but in addition to the engraved numeric value there are other meaningless symbols at the other five vertexes that make it difficult to discern the token's value at a glance. When I bought my copy of Ra: The Dice Game I filled in the dice with white crayon to make the symbols more visible and I'm considering doing the same thing to the numbers on the elder signs.

I also have Evil Dead and the new version of Siege of the Citadel coming in the fall so between those two and what I just received I'm laying off KS for a while.

More
10 Jul 2017 20:09 #251079 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Preview of Onslaught 3 for Cthulhu Wars is up (doesn't go live for a few days) and I am decidedly unimpressed:
www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/...01620?token=336d02fe
They don't have the one thing I really wanted (thicker ritual and doom tracks), and for now they don't seem to have the ability to pick and choose stuff. The only thing that at all tempts is the unique cultist sculpts. Maybe the Ancients, only because I like the look of the miniatures. I strongly suspect I will pass on this one.

More
10 Jul 2017 20:19 #251080 by hotseatgames
Looks very much like a lot of vanity, superfluous components.

More
10 Jul 2017 21:25 - 10 Jul 2017 21:27 #251081 by Michael Barnes
I'll definitely go in for the Ancients, they look pretty cool. Also Sleeper because, well,
I slept on it. Probably the gate markers and High Priests. And Tcho Tcho, missed when MM had them.

The unique Acolytes bother me. The Cthulhu fisherman dude makes no sense on any of the maps- wtf is he doing on Yuggoth? Why does the Yog one have overalls on? Totally unnecessary. But then the Ancients have them by default.

Sculpts look good mostly...but some clunkers too. Dire Cthulhu, couldn't care less about that.

Some good stuff, I think...but definitely getting to (or crossing into) the outer fringes.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2017 21:27 by Michael Barnes.

More
10 Jul 2017 21:54 #251082 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Thinking about this, the lack of the $1 option so you can pick and choose will really bite them this time and I suspect this one will be a relative failure. There is no way I am going in for $200 when at most I want $100 of stuff as the rest in that Yothan pledge doesn't interest me at all. I also suspect that many others will feel the same way. I think they have removed it as it caused a lot of problems in OS2, but once you are doing a kickstarter for multiple expansions it will always be more successful if you can pick and choose.

More
10 Jul 2017 22:50 #251084 by Michael Barnes
Whoa. Really? I didn't notice that. That was 100% my plan on this. Well, I may just have to shrug and not buy anything then. That is a real shame, I only wanted a la carte stuff.

More
11 Jul 2017 08:28 - 11 Jul 2017 08:29 #251090 by charlest
I don't think it will be a failure, there's too much new stuff and too many big time fans out there.

I'm in at the $200 level. Adding on plastic gates which are impossible to find at retail, and probably Tcho-Tchos and the terrors. Dire Cthulhu as a sculpt does not impress me. but it's been said that a stretch goal will include new printed components with the Cthulhu buffs which we've been playing with lately (and are sorely needed IMO).

The new map looks a little crazy, supposedly it falls apart as the game goes on and spaces disappear. The cultist unique sculpts I could do without but they will nigh impossible to find later I imagine. A set of custom dice isn't bad.

I want that Hound of Tindalos particularly bad.

Ancients will be crazy since they don't have a GoO. Wonder how they'll play.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2017 08:29 by charlest.

More
11 Jul 2017 09:19 #251095 by Disgustipater

charlest wrote: I want that Hound of Tindalos particularly bad.

That was the standout for me as well.

More
11 Jul 2017 14:00 #251114 by Almalik
Ooof, with the two tons of wave 2 that just arrived, not sure I'm ready for more CW stuff. That's a lot of shelving space that just got used up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
16 Jul 2017 20:38 #251234 by cdennett
If you really like CW, you're silly to not back this KS at $200. It's a far superior deal to the $150 and you can just sell the stuff you don't want for a profit later (probably to people on this site currently complaining that they don't want the stuff). The number 2 complaint about OS3 (right after the lack of a $1 pledge) are all the people bitching about the stuff not being offered from OS2 because they now regret not getting everything. The OS3 stuff, other than the Ancients, will likely not be in print after this campaign fulfills.

More
17 Jul 2017 10:02 #251244 by Gary Sax

cdennett wrote: It's a far superior deal to the $150 and you can just sell the stuff you don't want for a profit later (probably to people on this site currently complaining that they don't want the stuff).

Haha, too true!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.506 seconds