Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Jan 2018 19:17 #260549

Barnes was raving over that one earlier this year IIRC, wish I had a link. Welcome back!
  • Gary Sax
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2889
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Jan 2018 19:29 #260550

Shellhead wrote:
jphien wrote:
Hello FAT.
I have not checked this site out in a long time, years probably. I decided to stop in and see what is being said about my favorite Christmas present this year and was surprised to see nothing. I searched but came up empty. So I will tell you what board game I have been playing lately:

Escape from 100 Million B.C. by Kevin Wilson and I am having a blast. It's pure Ameritrash which is why I'm kinda shocked to see nothing here.

It's time traveling with dinosaurs, what's not to love. The difficulty is purely random as is most of the game but the exploration, the simplistic combat and the ability to play solo (sadly my basic options these days) makes this a big winner in my book.

SOMEBODY DO A REVIEW! Unless of course you already have and in that case.....never mind.

Several people at F:AT were talking about Escape last May or June. I picked it up and enjoyed it, but my friends have been slightly less enthusiastic about it. I don't think anybody has a specific objection, but I bought Saltlands around the same time and that's the game my friends keep requesting to play.

In recent months, I have played a few solo games of Escape, and I noticed that the tight design seems to deliver the same overall narrative each game, like a story in three acts:

1. Slow exploration, with lots of encounters and adventures but not much progress at moving around the map.
2. More movement plus more combat forced by wandering dinosaurs.
3. Frantic movement across a mostly explored map, rushing to get the last couple of pieces to the time machine as paradox mounts.

The game has decent replay value due to the variability of the map and encounter decks, but ultimately tells a similar story from game to game. I feel like a card expansion might make me like the game more than I do.

I agree with everything you say. The event deck helps create the story and it could stand to be larger along with the time castaway deck. However I really enjoy the exploration and the battling the dinosaurs or running from them. I actually killed a Tyrannosaur on my last game, yeah, it's luck based combat but still felt pretty good especially since he was standing over a part for the time machine.

I thought the time paradox track was clever, leaving equipment behind can change time, killing dinosaurs can create time paradox's and the cleverest bit for me was the time castaways. You never know who you will have to rescue from these time portals that are spitting people back into the past with you. JFK, Daniel Boone, Socrates etc. etc. I wish there was a bit more flavor text for them but I still just love being surprised by who or what I may run into.

Won't argue that it may feel samey but it's samey in a way I really enjoy and it's a fairly short game (at least solo) 30 to 90 minutes.

Component quality would be my main complaint but I've already played it 5 times and I think I could get another ten out of it before it gets old and that's not a bad number for me. There are very few games That I want to play more than 10 or 15 times in a row before moving breaking it up with something else. Gears of War is one of my favorite "solo" games and even that needs a rest after 5 or ten plays. I also got Zombicide Black Plague for Christmas and it's only been played twice because I am enjoying Escape, at least right now, much more.
  • jphien
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 14
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, wkover, stoic

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Jan 2018 00:20 #260641

After a couple years of waiting, I finally got to solo a full game of Doctor Who: Time of the Daleks. I plan on playing it with my wife tomorrow night (she's a fan as well), but at first pass I'd say it's at least a solid double, if not a home run.

First of all, GF9 clearly designed it with an eye toward the normal thematic touches they are known for. The effects of the different adventures, companions, and cards all feel like they are well-observed. It also has a lot of the little notes of the show, where you are forced sometimes to take a big chance with high stakes. It often comes down to a single roll, and even though I was by myself I found myself pumping my fists in the air. I like the central mechanic of gathering dice and trying to manipulate something that is inherently chaotic. That feels very Doctor Who to me.

The competitive aspect is...weird. It feels a little like the kind of design decision a Doctor Who game in the 1980s would have made, before it occurred to most game designers to make a game cooperative. There really isn't a way around the idea that different incarnations of the Doctor would probably be working together more than this. Making it so a single Doctor wins does work mechanically, and there really isn't very much in the way of "a-ha I got you" cards, but it's an oddly discordant element in what is otherwise a good thematic design. One would think that one could play it cooperatively, but from my one game I'm not sure the Daleks are enough of a challenge to play it as a pure co-op. It does feel like the Daleks are there to keep pressure on the players more than to be an actual constant threat. I'm willing to live with this aspect, because the Doctor does all sorts of stuff for all sorts of reasons that aren't always obvious, but it's still a weird decision.

My understanding is that the BBC balked at a $75 and asked them to reduce the size, though that's just hearsay. But it does have the unfortunate effect of making the game feel more limited. The companions and items are concentrated from the four doctors present (1, 4, 11, and 12). It would have been nice to have 5 and 10 in there as originally planned, just to make the game feel a little more like a strong representation of the franchise. As it is it does feel a little incomplete. The inevitable expansions will fix this, assuming the game is enough of a success that GF9 releases them.

There are some janky production issues too. The cards are definitely a step down from earlier GF9 releases, and some of the terminology used on the components hasn't quite been lined up. In some places it makes reference to "challenges," which I assume are what the instructions call "adventures." That's pretty sloppy.

If someone wanted the definitive Doctor Who game, they will probably be disappointed. It's not a full-throated adventure game, but is rather a straight dice-game with lots of cards to affect it. It's a good one, and I definitely find myself wanting to play again. But it does feel inherently smaller in scope than one would expect, and the trimmed content doesn't help. The upside of the lighter more abstracted design is that it will be more intuitive for casual players. I think a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise want to play any designer games will enjoy this one a lot. There is always the fear that the game will flop like a lot of other GF9 games, but I do think if someone saw this at B&N and felt good about plunking down $50, they would be able to pick it up and have fun without too much fuss. It's a nice-looking game, and it hits the right notes. It's good enough that people who just want to play a Doctor Who game (even if it's not THE Doctor Who game) will be satisfied and want more.

So yeah, I liked it for the most part. It's definitely got its quirks, and it does feel like it'll reach its full potential with more Doctors. But I did play the whole game to conclusion while playing solo, which is rare. That's a very good sign.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Frohike, Colorcrayons, stoic, charlest

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Jan 2018 18:06 #260660

Sounds like we are right in the huggin’ zone on that one Nate- pretty much down the line.

Some of the quality issues are especially troubling since GF9 has always offered a solid product...but the misspellings, inconsistencies, “who picked this photo” moments...no excuse. It feels sloppy and unprofessional.

I do really like how the gameplay really is about figuring out how to squeak through a die roll using companions, equipment and luck- that is definitely Whovian. As is careening around from point A trying to get to point B but winding up at point Q.

The semi-coop bit is a total mess. It makes no sense for the Doctors to compete. And the mild take-that doesn’t really do much. I like that you basically call for help and you make someone answer, but their incentive impacts how much they want to help. It’s just not a great Doctor Who gameplay idea.

But yeah, the biggest issue is the lack of Doctors and their attendant stuff. That SUCKS. And sadly, I bet we’ll get one Expansion and that will be 5 and 10 and then only because that stuff was cut from the base game. We won’t see the rest. This game won’t sell enough to justify it, and it will fade away like Homeland, Sons of Anarchy, and the WWE game. If the game were better and more universally appealing regardless of the license (such as Spartacus and Firefly) it would have more longevity. But the truth is, it sort of feels DOA.

I like it and I’m glad to have it, but it is such a disappointment.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 6782

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Jan 2018 18:24 #260666

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, but I've been following its development pretty closely. My expectations were pretty realistic going in. I might have been disappointed if this is what I got going in cold.

I disagree that the game isn't going to ultimately be successful. It's good enough that it will have its fans. I'm curious about whether it will wash with people who are fans without being gamers. I suspect that it'll work well, because it's a pretty intuitive game with solid fan service.

I will report back after playing with another human.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Jan 2018 18:27 #260668

Double posted. Sorry.
Last Edit: 10 Jan 2018 18:28 by san il defanso.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Jan 2018 21:20 #260684

Just did a solo run with 4 characters of Room 25 Ultimate. This is the base game + first expansion all in one box. I liked it, and it seems like it will be a neat cooperative game. I'm told it's much better with the traitor mode but we will be starting out cooperative, I'm sure.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1937
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Jan 2018 21:23 #260686

Hey I’ve got an all team meeting at the end of the month with work and it’s in another city. I gotta fly there. They decided the group activity is board game night so I’m going to have to play games with all these people I work with

Im thinking of bringing Puerto Rico (to teach.... and win), Pictionary, Monopoly and Risk. I really don’t feel like playing or teaching Seven Wonders, Caylus, Eclipse, Railroad Tycoon, 1960, Ra, or anything like that

Im thinking of bringing poker chips and cards in case some of us want to « cheat » the activity
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3118
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Jan 2018 21:39 #260688

^ eurogamer spotted ^
  • Shellhead
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 3134
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyTNT

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Jan 2018 22:12 #260689

But i don’t even play games anymore!!
  • Black Barney
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3118
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Jan 2018 22:30 #260690

Two more shortened games of Doctor Who. The first game just blasted us. Rolls would fail at terrible times, and the Dalek ship would move up more, trigger a time anomaly that would make it harder to succeed, and it got basically impossible very quickly. So we gave up on that game and tried a second time, only for it to happen all over again.

This kind of thing happens in Elder Sign too, at least on the app. Still disappointing. More players would help a little, since that's more player rounds between the Dalek ship moving.

Oh well. We'll try again later maybe with two Doctors each or taking out the really tough cards.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 10 Jan 2018 23:44 #260691

Black Barney wrote:
Hey I’ve got an all team meeting at the end of the month with work and it’s in another city. I gotta fly there. They decided the group activity is board game night so I’m going to have to play games with all these people I work with

Im thinking of bringing Puerto Rico (to teach.... and win), Pictionary, Monopoly and Risk. I really don’t feel like playing or teaching Seven Wonders, Caylus, Eclipse, Railroad Tycoon, 1960, Ra, or anything like that

Im thinking of bringing poker chips and cards in case some of us want to « cheat » the activity

Ugh, Puerto Rico. Why not just get colonoscopies?

Hey, you should all play Captain Sonar, or maybe The Grizzled.
  • cranberries
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1384
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 00:15 #260693

You need a Red Dragon Inn set to bring for people to play.
  • the_jake_1973
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 533

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 01:13 #260696

cranberries wrote:
Black Barney wrote:

Ugh, Puerto Rico. Why not just get colonoscopies?

Hey, you should all play Captain Sonar, or maybe The Grizzled.

Puerto Rico? You can't be serious. Probably not serious. Jesus, I hope your not serious.

Captain Sonar or Space Cadets would be fantastic. Of course you'd have to A) Own either of these which I can guarantee you don't. As I recall that anemic excuse for a board game collection you put up several months ago or B) be willing to purchase either or both of them. The odds of which, considering you may play them only once, seem remote.
  • repoman
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2233
All Hammers All the Time
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 11 Jan 2018 07:42 #260697

Black Barney wrote:

Bring Diplomacy...
  • stoic
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 765
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries, Jackwraith, Frohike
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.452 seconds