Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 02 Jan 2018 11:46 #260033

Over the Christmas and New Year's holiday weekends, I dove into the abyss that is Gloomhaven. I'm just playing solo, but I have to admit I'm really enjoying it. I got stuck on one scenario very early on, but I was determined to repeat it until I finished it. I like the puzzle aspect to it, but it's also just plain fun. I think it will take me a very long time to make any real progress, but it's a great distraction at the end of the day.
  • Gregarius
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 546
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 02 Jan 2018 12:30 #260042

We played Exit: The Game - Polar Station last night, which is the first of the second wave we have played. The puzzles are still excellent and this was the first one that attempted a story (below what Unlock! does, but still it tried). There were some really clever puzzles that had us stuck for a while as we tried to figure out what the information was telling us. It is the lowest rated on on BGG, so I am hoping the other two are even better than this one.
  • barrowdown
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 273

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 02 Jan 2018 15:07 #260053

I'm playing Gloomhaven. I started out soloing a couple of scenarios with two characters, but it didn't really click. Then I tried with three and four players, and suddenly it's a much more fun game. I play with my wife and two friends (sometimes just one of them), and so far we've played four of five scenarios together. While the campaign story isn't super interesting (especially because a loss has no consequences), it's still enough to make leveling and pursuing a goal interesting. Also we really want to open up new boxes of characters. We were, however, quite worried about whether losing would be interesting. But we lost our first scenario the other day, and we were all psyked to play it again as soon as possible. We will most likely pretend we won in case we lose again, but it was nice to know losing felt okay.

I've also been playing a lot with the kids during christmas. They are five and eight, and we've played Lord of the Rings (Knizia, huge hit), Escape from 100 million BC which the five-year old love, Rhino Hero Super Battle which is good, but not the hit I had hoped for, and also The Three Musketeers: the Queen's Pendant which is a quite good game I've had for years without ever trying it. Being a geek dad is great.
  • mads b.
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 370
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic, JEM, BillyBobThwarton

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 02 Jan 2018 15:59 #260060

jeb wrote:
I have to read up on some CRY HAVOC FAQs, because we have questions, man.
  • Does "Battle regions are closed to tokens/figures" mean you can't activate an adjacent Watchtower to add a Watchtower token to the fight?
  • Does the player controlling the Trogs in a fight get VPs for winning/attriting?
  • What the fuck does "Draw one card for each symbol" mean?!
Ok, I hit up the FAQ and the forums at BGG, where Grant Rodiek is active and got my answers...
  1. Yes. You cannot add Artillery/Watchtower/whatever tokens to a Battle region. You have to add them (BUILD) then attack them (MOVE) if you want them on your side in a fight.
  2. No. The player controlling the Trogs (in 2/3-player games) never gets VPs for winning/attriting.
  3. This one largely has to do with Pilgrim tactics interactions. A number of Pilgrim cards have "Draw 1 for every symbol shown" and Desert tactics cards have "draw 1 MAX (for every desert card played)." So a player can play Pilgrim, Pilgrim, Desert, Desert, and draw THREE cards, one for each Pilgrim symbol and one for playing one (or more) Desert card(s).
  • jeb
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2187
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 03 Jan 2018 16:50 #260128

This is my son's last day off school for Christmas break. We played Nexus Ops and Star Wars: Epic Duels.

SW.jpg

NO.jpg
  • stoic
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 688
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, cranberries, san il defanso, hotseatgames, Frohike, drewcula, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 04 Jan 2018 20:30 #260238

Egyptian Ratscrew, which is apparently is another name for Thermonuclear Holocaust. I haven’t played in 30 years, but things you learn as a kid are burned into the chip, and damn if I didn’t out-slap the living shit out of it. I kicked my kids’ ass at a game they thought I was just learning. Then I could mock them for being slower than a guy with an AARP card, and they had no clue I had a couple of hundred games under my belt. I kept asking questions about the rules to keep them on their heels.

Misleading your children is priceless at this age. More fun than the game.
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 2785
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries, san il defanso, Frohike, aaxiom, Gregarius, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 04 Jan 2018 22:01 #260245

I finally got the rest of my Shadows of Brimstone Outlaw pledge assembled, sorted and integrated into the rest of my stuff so tonight we picked up where we left off with our posse of four. We had to do a town visit first and after that we started the third mission from the Derelict Ship expansion (find a clue token = gate in the Mines, then find two more clues in the other world, pretty standard). I learned my lesson from previous sessions regarding playtime, so we agreed to stop playing after the first fight which was in the first room: ten Hungry Dead and two Corpse Piles. The Hungry Dead had two Elite Abilities, one of which was that they had a Defense of 5. The Outlaw couldn't scratch them since he can't get crits and couldn't roll 6 damage to save his life, but my Jargono Native and Frontier Doc each had a Dynamite token. Not only that, but they each hit their target space (no bounces!) by rolling 5+ on their ranged attack rolls (which is used for Dynamite throws) to clear 6 of the 10 Hungry Dead in one turn.

Even though the Corpse Piles' Elite Abilities were to spawn zombies on 3+ (vs. 4+) and to roll for spawns twice per turn instead of once, only two more zombies were spawned and the rest of the fight was just mopping up. The best part was that I got a Gear card as my Loot draw for completing the fight and I drew a Blacksmith Ally. I chose the Advanced version (you have to pay to retain them after each Adventure and an Advanced Blacksmith costs $600) and I get to hire him for half price after the Adventure. He has several other neat abilities to buff the party and I hope he survives long enough to level up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, JEM

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 06 Jan 2018 23:31 #260421

Gary Sax wrote:
Yeah, I ordered it for the replacement cards, small expansion stuff and new rulebook. I got the new wizard bits too, but my wife went to a lot of effort to upgrade the old shitty ones with magnets.

Regarding Argent, Level 99 says no retail sales for upgrade kits so if you missed the Kickstarter you're out of luck. Any advice about what to do for the bases? I've seen some cool colored 3D printed bases, but, they're $70.

www.shapeways.com/product/73AY2XDS2/arge...44&li=more-from-shop

image.jpeg
  • stoic
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 688

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 07 Jan 2018 03:02 #260428

Tiny Epic Quest.

Wow. Truly fun adventure game. Really well done.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3641
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, aaxiom

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 07 Jan 2018 13:24 #260438

stoic wrote:
Gary Sax wrote:
Yeah, I ordered it for the replacement cards, small expansion stuff and new rulebook. I got the new wizard bits too, but my wife went to a lot of effort to upgrade the old shitty ones with magnets.

Regarding Argent, Level 99 says no retail sales for upgrade kits so if you missed the Kickstarter you're out of luck. Any advice about what to do for the bases? I've seen some cool colored 3D printed bases, but, they're $70.

www.shapeways.com/product/73AY2XDS2/arge...44&li=more-from-shop

image.jpeg

My wife did basically those pictures. So we cut the nibs off of the wizards. Then she got little wooden discs (those plastic ones would work better). Painted the discs the player colors. Then she attached a metal washer to each wizard and glued a magnet onto each disc. Works great.
  • Gary Sax
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 2634
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries, aaxiom

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 07 Jan 2018 14:52 #260442

Is Arkham Horror LCG a board game?
IDK, but I just wrapped up the Dunwich Legacy. Eight scenarios which are written as a fan/FFG sequel to 'The Dunwich Horror.'
'The Dunwich Horror' may be my favorite HPL story, and I enjoyed this 'what if' sequel more than the old Chaosium 'Return to Dunwich' module/scenario book.
At the campaign end, there's an informative 'Designers' Notes' passage. It details their intent, and homage to the source material.

A fun experience, though pricey in it's totality. Replay value is there of course, but I don't think I'll be playing through with different investigators/decks again anytime soon. I'm committed enough to the LCG to try out this King in Yellow campaign. Wish me luck.
  • drewcula
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 325
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 07 Jan 2018 17:16 #260453

Charlie, how did your first foray into Lords of Hellas go?
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1710

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 07 Jan 2018 18:50 #260459

Hey, I just played this obscure game you may not have heard of.

It's called Terraforming Mars.

Yah yah, seems everybody has played it. So nothing new here except that I thought it was pretty fun. Wife played with me and dug it too. So that makes it super cool.

Points were pretty close. Is that common with this game? Worried about the artificial "euro tight game" where no matter how you play you are still within a few points of victory.
  • repoman
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2087
All Hammers All the Time
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, cranberries, DukeofChutney

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 07 Jan 2018 19:21 #260462

repoman wrote:
Points were pretty close. Is that common with this game? Worried about the artificial "euro tight game" where no matter how you play you are still within a few points of victory.
Well, kind of.

If you are good at the game, you'll get a big margin on a beginner or even someone who has played a couple times. You can lose a lot of money by buying the wrong cards, building too much of an engine and so on. I've also found that I can get a huge advantage by being aggressive with the awards. Yes, I'll dump 22 credits halfway through the game choose which ones are played, none of this "wait for the last turn" nonsense.

With skilled players, I think you'll get a 4-7 point advantange over second place in most games, ocasionally a 1-3 difference. Most games won't be won by a single Vp, much less a single decision or mistake. It's rather forgiving in that sense. Personally, I think the scores are close, but the best player wins and not artificially so.

It's actually kind of the thing with Terraforming Mars. It is, by all means, the archetypical snowball, lowish-interaction, resource management eurogame. It's just better at the right things so as to not fall in the typical pitfalls head-on.
  • Erik Twice
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 884
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, repoman

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 08 Jan 2018 01:16 #260479

Sagrilarus wrote:
Egyptian Ratscrew, which is apparently is another name for Thermonuclear Holocaust. I haven’t played in 30 years, but things you learn as a kid are burned into the chip, and damn if I didn’t out-slap the living shit out of it. I kicked my kids’ ass at a game they thought I was just learning. Then I could mock them for being slower than a guy with an AARP card, and they had no clue I had a couple of hundred games under my belt. I kept asking questions about the rules to keep them on their heels.

Misleading your children is priceless at this age. More fun than the game.

My favorite kids-cardgame story is on Reddit. A dad taught his kids "presidents" (Great Dalmuti) to teach them chores, and the kid is invited to a party with seniors at college and realizes he grew up playing a drinking game. He then begins levying punishments from his childhood, like making the A**hole clean a dirty dish, or do a five second handstand. He is also a total shark, and avoids getting too wasted.

www.reddit.com/r/self/comments/bzo45/hey...inking_game/c0pe68k/
  • cranberries
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1249
Last Edit: 08 Jan 2018 01:23 by cranberries.
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.360 seconds