October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Need advice on getting into mini painting

More
11 Dec 2016 14:11 #240330 by stoic
Found a few recipes for washes and shades:

awesomepaintjob.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2016 15:47 #240336 by Michael Barnes
By the time you get all of that and mess around with getting the right shades/consistencies, you would save money AND time by just buying the Army Painter shades/washes...they aren't quite as good as Citadel, but half the price. I think they are like $2.50 a bottle. Not sure why there needs to be a "cheaper alternative" than that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, stoic

More
11 Dec 2016 15:55 #240338 by barrowdown
I have all the materials and my first thought was still, "That looks like more trouble than it's worth."

I just don't go through washes that quickly to look for that amount of savings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
11 Dec 2016 18:43 #240353 by Vlad
I think you'd need like Walter White's skills and dedication to cook your own washes.

More
11 Dec 2016 19:14 #240355 by SuperflyPete
Coat d' Arms washes are hands-down my favorite. Beyond the normal kind of washes, the Model Mates effects are the undisputed king. Their rust wash is astounding

More
11 Dec 2016 20:51 - 11 Dec 2016 20:52 #240358 by barrowdown
I had to find out about the ModelMates stuff, but it looks like they ceased to exist as a company in September or October and liquidated their inventory. Their parent company Dirty Down looks to have some similar stuff, but they specialize in film and theater effects.

It's a shame because their rust effects really do look good.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2016 20:52 by barrowdown.

More
12 Dec 2016 19:57 #240409 by stoic

Vlad wrote: I think you'd need like Walter White's skills and dedication to cook your own washes.

No, it's easy. You don't need a degree in chemistry or know how to cook meth to make them. The basic recipes are in the link I provided above. Also, you can figure out which colors mimic those expensive washes by glancing at the colors.

Check out what you can do with the ability to create washes of every color under the sun. Those basic recipes evolved into Secret Weapon Washes.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1129305/how-sel...washes-link-review-s

More
12 Dec 2016 20:44 #240413 by Sevej

stoic wrote: First, there's some positive and negative comments here about the Army Painter paints. What's actually wrong with them? I've seen some positive reviews on the Net and their Mega Paint Set II (with brushes and Spray Matte Varnish) looks like a great bargain starter set at or around $88. They now also have a Mega Paint Set III.

Except for a few base paints, I exclusively use Army Painter. The bad thing I can say is that some colors have bad coverage. Yellow sucks (and at moments like this GW base paint is indispensable), and their gold is a bitch to work with. Especially the gold. When you squeeze it, only thin liquid came out of it. I need to wait until the thick stuff comes out. But the white is good. It's not as solid as GW base, but as a "layer" it's very good.

The brushes are simply great for the price. I'm going to get, like, 4 of the regiment brushes on my next purchase.

I never use their aerosol since they can't airship it and nobody here bothers to import them.

I have not tried their tinted washes, only the basic strong tone. I do think they have a (rather new) flesh wash.

More
13 Dec 2016 10:08 #240441 by barrowdown

stoic wrote: No, it's easy. You don't need a degree in chemistry or know how to cook meth to make them. The basic recipes are in the link I provided above. Also, you can figure out which colors mimic those expensive washes by glancing at the colors.

Check out what you can do with the ability to create washes of every color under the sun. Those basic recipes evolved into Secret Weapon Washes.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1129305/how-sel...washes-link-review-s

I agree that mixing up stuff is a great way to get the exact color or flow you need. I do that a lot when painting. I even do make small amounts of washes to get an exact color. But for someone just starting? Each color of ink is going to run you $4-5 (I'm using Dick Blick as a guide), when you factor in the mediums and mixing materials your first batch is going to be more expensive then getting a wide spread of Vallejo, Army Painter or Secret Weapon. Plus, it's already mixed and designed to work for its intended purpose without needing an inexperienced painter to develop their own wash when they might not even be sure how that is supposed to work.

Once someone has the basics down, sure, if you want to make your own, go right ahead.

More
05 Jan 2017 10:17 #241852 by san il defanso
After receiving Silver Tower for Christmas, and since I've moved to a less active gaming environment up north, I'm on the lookout for gaming activities to do that are more solitary. I thought I'd be okay with Silver Tower unpainted, but those grey minis just don't look quite as nice as the unpainted 3E Space Hulk ones. So I think I'm ready to try my hand at painting. This thread has been incredibly useful in this regard.

I think my first step will be to pop down to the FLGS and pick up one of those Space Marine + Paint Set kits and see if this is even something I find fun. I expect I will like it, since model construction is something I have found pleasure in. But I would hate to spend money on paints and supplies to find out that it's not something I am really into.

My ultimate goal is to get both Space Hulk and Silver Tower painted. Even if they are beginner work, I'm fine with that. As RobertB said on the first page, even mediocre paint jobs look better than unpainted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
05 Jan 2017 12:10 #241859 by Vlad

san il defanso wrote: I think my first step will be to pop down to the FLGS and pick up one of those Space Marine + Paint Set kits and see if this is even something I find fun.

I've got into mini painting exactly like this. Those starter kits are a great and inexpensive way to find out whether you're going to enjoy it or not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
05 Jan 2017 13:43 - 05 Jan 2017 13:44 #241864 by fastbilly1
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationThe best advice I will give you is one more poorly painted figure is not going end the world. Eventually you will get better, just keep at it. I use to strive to be as good as the guys in Dragon and White Dwarf, then realized that I was spending entire painting sessions on single figures. Which is fine for some people, or an RPG character, but not when you are painting an army. Now my view is that I dont paint models, I paint game pieces. And my paint job is perfect for my groups needs. They are painted better than Heroscape models, but not as good as the output of say Barrowdown.

Case in point:
goo.gl/photos/WWxqdFkD1pNLn2zh8
Left is a first round painted character, before shading and details, middle is Mage Kinght, the right is Planeswalker figure before final detailing.

I use mostly craft acrylics but decent brushes. I make my own washes on the fly and stick to simpler color scheme. Brushes make a huge difference to me and I mostly use these:

Though my USA dealer is no longer on ebay, where it came out to about $1 a pop. I was tipped off on these by Shedwars who paints more figures and terrain than anyone else I know. I buy multiple packs so I can machine gun through colors before I have to clean everything. That work flow works for me, find what works for you. Sadly I am down to three currently do to people "borrowing" them recently.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2017 13:44 by fastbilly1.

More
05 Jan 2017 14:02 #241866 by san il defanso
One thing that is intimidating to me at this end, and something I suspect gets better as you go, is the ability to look at a mini and decide "I want this to look like this," if that makes sense. Like, the GW method seems very appealing (though almost certainly cost-prohibitive for me) because it removes that step somewhat. When I see all those skulls on the Terminator armor in Space Hulk, I don't naturally consider what color those should be. I'm amazed at people who can look at, say, their Blood Bowl teams and decide to make their human team look like the Green Bay Packers.

More
05 Jan 2017 14:08 #241867 by metalface13

san il defanso wrote: One thing that is intimidating to me at this end, and something I suspect gets better as you go, is the ability to look at a mini and decide "I want this to look like this," if that makes sense. Like, the GW method seems very appealing (though almost certainly cost-prohibitive for me) because it removes that step somewhat. When I see all those skulls on the Terminator armor in Space Hulk, I don't naturally consider what color those should be. I'm amazed at people who can look at, say, their Blood Bowl teams and decide to make their human team look like the Green Bay Packers.

For Blood Bowl teams at least, that's the easy part to pick a sports team and mimic their colors. Choosing colors on their own is something a lot of people struggle with, so going with established color pairings is a good short cut.

More
05 Jan 2017 14:12 #241868 by san il defanso

metalface13 wrote:

san il defanso wrote: One thing that is intimidating to me at this end, and something I suspect gets better as you go, is the ability to look at a mini and decide "I want this to look like this," if that makes sense. Like, the GW method seems very appealing (though almost certainly cost-prohibitive for me) because it removes that step somewhat. When I see all those skulls on the Terminator armor in Space Hulk, I don't naturally consider what color those should be. I'm amazed at people who can look at, say, their Blood Bowl teams and decide to make their human team look like the Green Bay Packers.

For Blood Bowl teams at least, that's the easy part to pick a sports team and mimic their colors. Choosing colors on their own is something a lot of people struggle with, so going with established color pairings is a good short cut.

I would love to pick a team and put them in Cleveland Browns colors, but I'm almost sure that would negatively affect their stats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, fastbilly1

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds