October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

CinemaDome: Braveheart vs Gladiator

More
14 Dec 2016 11:42 #240557 by Msample

RobertB wrote: Msample wrote:

If you like English period dramas/action, check out Rob Roy.

I do wonder if a more direct comparison would be GLADIATOR vs KINGDOM of HEAVEN. Crowe blows away Orlando Pretty Boy Bloom, but again the overall cast and arc are more interesting in KoH . Look for a bit part from Jamie Lannister early on.

Rob Roy is good. Fight at the end owns.

I liked Kingdom of Heaven. You're right about the casting - Orlando Bloom is bad in the role, but everyone else is good.

The extended version/Directors Cut is worth checking out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2016 11:47 #240559 by Shellhead
I still haven't seen Braveheart. Mel Gibson's popularity hadn't tanked yet, but I was already done with him after Lethal Weapon 4. But I've heard enough great things about Braveheart to want to see it.

Gladiator was good, but not particularly memorable for me. And I have an odd complaint: the choreography of the arena fights was so perfect that it seemed unreal. That put some distance between the movie and I, so I could enjoy the choreography in abstract while not feeling the experience of the situation.

Vote: Braveheart

More
14 Dec 2016 12:19 #240567 by Vlad
They're both pretty awful movies. And for being historically inaccurate (or, rather, disdainful), they're also really boring. In my opinion, it should be either one way or the other.
But Braveheart is also unapologetically racist (surprise, Mel Gibson), that promotes and thrives on inane stereotypes. And, considering there's still a lot of unfinished business between England and Scotland, it was and still is a piece of anti-Brit propaganda. At least Gladiator doesn't sink that low. And Russel Crowe was damn good in it, too. So Maximus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
14 Dec 2016 12:21 #240569 by Vlad
And agreed that Rob Roy was pretty good and better than any of those.

More
14 Dec 2016 12:39 #240573 by Black Barney
gtfo, jessica lange makes so much of Rob Roy unwatchable. i didn't feel her rape AT ALL.

Love Tim Roth in that flick tho. But Rob Roy is a very poor man's Braveheart.

I can't believe you are touting Braveheart as propaganda though. British imperialism was the WORST. And that's not just the Irish in me talking.

More
14 Dec 2016 12:50 #240574 by Gregarius

Black Barney wrote: gtfo, jessica lange makes so much of Rob Roy unwatchable. i didn't feel her rape AT ALL.

Love Tim Roth in that flick tho. But Rob Roy is a very poor man's Braveheart.

I can't believe you are touting Braveheart as propaganda though. British imperialism was the WORST. And that's not just the Irish in me talking.

Blasphemy!

Rob Roy vs. Braveheart:
Vote Rob Roy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
14 Dec 2016 13:05 #240576 by Vlad

Black Barney wrote: I can't believe you are touting Braveheart as propaganda though. British imperialism was the WORST..

The worst of things to happen in history ever or just of all Imperialisms? I sincerely don't think that Brits would make it to even top ten of either of those things.
Portraying every Englishman is a foul rapist and every Scot and Irishman as a noble freedom fighter is racist and is propaganda. I like Brits and Scots and Irish and even Welsh, generally speaking, and I think they should fight less among each other and focus instead on their real enemy - the French.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
14 Dec 2016 13:09 #240577 by Black Barney
the brits are the oppressors and thus the bad guys. That's all that needed painting. I don't think it painted every englishman as a rapist. Not at all. The ones that would follow through with that prima nocte thing... yes, those are rapists

anyway, i just like seeing redcoats getting killed that's all

More
14 Dec 2016 13:09 - 14 Dec 2016 13:13 #240578 by Colorcrayons
Braveheart is no mad max, and gladiator is no master and commander.

Vote: green party

Also: delicious...
Last edit: 14 Dec 2016 13:13 by Colorcrayons.

More
14 Dec 2016 13:29 #240579 by bfkiller
Hmmm... I think Gladiator has aged better, but I'm going to give the nod to Braveheart to give it credit for being so influential in how battle scenes are filmed. I'd say that's been as influential (read: copied) as The Matrix bullet-time effects.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
14 Dec 2016 13:36 - 14 Dec 2016 13:36 #240580 by JEM
Braveheart is revisionist Anglophobic claptrap propped up only by not being as overtly terrible revisionist-Anglophobic claptrap as "The Patriot"*.

Gladiator

*Hello to Jason Isaacs.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2016 13:36 by JEM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
14 Dec 2016 13:51 #240582 by Vlad
Thanks for reminding me that immediately after getting an undeserved Oscar for Braveheart, Gibson went to produce, direct and star the sequel to his "I hate Britain" pamphlet. In which, unfortunately, he doesn't even die.

Bfkiller is right, though, Braveheart started a new trend of filming medieval battle scenes and a good one at that. But those battles in Braveheart have been surpassed by nearly every movie that copied them, too, so you watch them now and they're pretty unremarkable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
14 Dec 2016 13:54 #240583 by bfkiller

Vlad wrote: Bfkiller is right, though, Braveheart started a new trend of filming medieval battle scenes and a good one at that. But those battles in Braveheart have been surpassed by nearly every movie that copied them, too, so you watch them now and they're pretty unremarkable.

Now I'm curious how those scenes look today. I don't think I've watched Braveheart since the late 90s. I'll have to rewatch those scenes and see how they compare to, say, the Battle of the Bastards in A Game of Thrones..

More
14 Dec 2016 14:11 #240585 by Vlad
The last time I watched it was about 5 years ago (I basically re-winded between the battle scenes) and they looked ridiculously small-scale compared to LOTR and Kingdom of Heaven. So I don't think it could stand up to the Battle of Bastards.

More
14 Dec 2016 14:23 #240586 by boothwah

Black Barney wrote:
anyway, i just like seeing redcoats getting killed that's all

That's just years of Star Trek conditioning you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds