October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

X-wing vs. Heroscape (vs. MtG)

More
09 Jan 2017 14:38 #242106 by Hex Sinister
Played it about 3 times and enjoyed it but has sat in cabinet unplayed ever since.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2017 16:10 - 09 Jan 2017 16:12 #242120 by Colorcrayons

RabidWookie wrote: How are the Heroscape fans enjoying Heroscape 2.0: Magic edition?

I like it a lot. The card play and planes walkers add a nice tweak to the engine. After playing a bunch of heroescape, it's just spamming and who rolls more attacks than the other with some inconsequential manuvering thrown in. Magic changes all of that for the better. Timing when you summon squads matters a lot. Using your limited spell resources makes or breaks your game.

It's not a popular opinion here from what I gather, but this is a lot better than 1.0. Though without more squads and spells, this game is destined to never achieve the greatness of 1.0. And now that this stuff seems to be on fire sales without any hint of expansions as we saw in the past, I have my doubts we will get any product beyond the Innistrad set. :(
Last edit: 09 Jan 2017 16:12 by Colorcrayons.

More
09 Jan 2017 17:04 #242123 by RabidWookie

Colorcrayons wrote:

RabidWookie wrote: How are the Heroscape fans enjoying Heroscape 2.0: Magic edition?

I like it a lot. The card play and planes walkers add a nice tweak to the engine. After playing a bunch of heroescape, it's just spamming and who rolls more attacks than the other with some inconsequential manuvering thrown in. Magic changes all of that for the better. Timing when you summon squads matters a lot. Using your limited spell resources makes or breaks your game.

It's not a popular opinion here from what I gather, but this is a lot better than 1.0. Though without more squads and spells, this game is destined to never achieve the greatness of 1.0. And now that this stuff seems to be on fire sales without any hint of expansions as we saw in the past, I have my doubts we will get any product beyond the Innistrad set. :(

Hasbro always either abandons a line after the initial release or trickles out content at a snail's pace, then wonders why their games never get traction in the gaming community.

More
10 Jan 2017 13:19 - 10 Jan 2017 13:24 #242167 by Jexik
Not sure how I missed this the first time around, but I like all three games. (And I hadn't played X-Wing at that time, so maybe that's it).

I sold A TON of scape stuff recently because I wasn't playing it very much, and I had a lot. The space it was taking up and the money it was worth just didn't make sense to keep it in my small apartment. It's one of my favorite games of all time, but I had enough that it was actively upsetting to try to get everything out and find the pieces I wanted to play with, make sure I had the right figures, set the terrain up, etc. I would spend 2 hours preparing and tearing down a 1 one-hour game. So I sold 90% of the figures, probably, and just about 50% of my terrain... and I still have plenty to play with. I've not dipped my toes into the MtGscape yet, although I played it once and liked it alright. I'm sure I'd work on some house rules to mix the systems. (Captain America is White, right?) And I could probably pick up the entire line for $50...

X-Wing is one of my favorite games right now, but set up is a chore for it too. I have one fleet ready to go so when I can get away to a game day or something I can just play it. I need to set up another team so that my fiancée and I can play on shorter notice. It's my favorite game, but hers is actually Tragedy Looper and we don't really get 1-2 hours free to play games very often. Maybe now that it's too cold to go walk and play Pokémon Go we'll do it more often. When people ask me how much I like it, I usually say that it's my favorite game since Heroscape. I like simultaneous movement and action selection in a wide variety of games, even Euros (RftG, 7 Wonders, Revolution!) so this hits a lot of the right notes for me.

I don't play MtG much right now, but I've been knee deep in it from time to time. I was usually a red player because i didn't like spending money on a mana base. If I could afford (and justify) a Vintage deck some day, I can certainly see the appeal of sticking to that format and the types of people that would play. I think most of the bad mouthing of MtG comes from people who have dropped a ton of money on the game and still sucked at it. When I played Red in the CawBlade and UB Control (Jace TMS) days I had so much fun when I'd steal a series off of those guys with $800 decks in standard. When people spend 1k on Essen releases every year, the "it costs too much" argument really doesn't hold up.

RIGHT NOW: X-Wing

2011 ME: Heroscape (The kid is 6, I could see this changing if he digs it... right now it's pokemon all the time... maybe I'll teach him the CCG...)

1997 ME: MtG
Last edit: 10 Jan 2017 13:24 by Jexik.

More
10 Jan 2017 13:42 #242172 by SuperflyPete
Heroscape. Not even a contest. It's like Mike Tyson versus Kate Moss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
10 Jan 2017 13:49 #242174 by Sagrilarus
I came here looking for news on the Mad Max retheme of Rush 'n Crush and find you guys arguing over what is already Ameritrash Canon.

Stay focused people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Jexik, Colorcrayons

More
10 Jan 2017 14:22 #242180 by san il defanso

Sagrilarus wrote: the Mad Max retheme of Rush 'n Crush

Tell me more, tell me more.

More
10 Jan 2017 14:29 #242181 by Colorcrayons
Wait.... What?!?

More
10 Jan 2017 14:52 #242186 by Sagrilarus

san il defanso wrote:

I don't know any more. That's why I came here. I've heard "Mad Max Style" remake with a few slight tweaks.

A stunning piece of Francotrash that is generally overlooked, not given the credit it deserves. You guys should have news on this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
10 Jan 2017 23:04 #242205 by Cranberries

Sagrilarus wrote:

san il defanso wrote:

I don't know any more. That's why I came here. I've heard "Mad Max Style" remake with a few slight tweaks.

A stunning piece of Francotrash that is generally overlooked, not given the credit it deserves. You guys should have news on this.

From 2009 :

username wrote: I know this has been discussed around here before but:

I was walking through Wal-mart the other day and saw these little gems:

And since of course I love Mad Max movies it got me thinking, why have I never played Car Wars?

I still have an unpunched edition that came in a little cardboard box where you have to use scissors to cut the pieces out. Some of my 40K buddies talk about the glory days of Car Wars, but I soemhow missed the game.

Is Car Wars the definitive Mad Max game or is something else out there? I've tried unsucessfully to trade for Battlecars on TOS for years. I see Universal Head has a rules summary up for it, anybody ever used it?

Also have you tried Wreckage by FFG?

More
11 Jan 2017 12:47 #242233 by fastbilly1
As much as I love Xwing, Magicscape is our most played game by a long shot. Using minimal terrain and the provided game boards, we can play a game soup to nuts in under an hour. Though that will be longer thanks to the after Christmas haul of two Innastrads and another Zedikar. Even mixing in Heroscape units the game is quick. Its the terrain setup/teardown that is the time sink for me. One of these days I will buy nice hex pads in green, blue, and black, to be the ground.

Car Wars is Madmax, but suffers from 70s game design of merging wargames and early RPGs. So each turn is laborious until you get the ryhthym down and combat gets stupidly complex very quickly. A personal favorite is Paint sprayers linked to mine layers. If you can get a group to play, I super highly recommend playing a campaign. But grab a copy of Uncle AL and 5th edition from SJG online store over the older versions. Truckstop is one of the best expansions, though Aerowars is fun. That said I have spare copies of 1st edition, Truckstop, Aerowars, and several of the ADQs if anyone is really interested in giving oldschool Car Wars a go.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds