Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Here I Stand

More
26 May 2010 13:53 #64417 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re:Here I Stand
Bulwyf wrote:

Ok the vassal file is sent.

If you need the 1.2 HIS module you can get it from the GMT site:

www.gmtgames.com/t-GMTVASSAL.aspx

-Will

I can't download VASSAL at my workplace so I may need a jpg of the map sent out from time to time and ask for someone to update the map on my behalf.

Of course if I'm home that won't be an issue, I just don't want to bog things down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2010 14:14 #64419 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:Here I Stand
Dr_Mabuse wrote:

I can't download VASSAL at my workplace so I may need a jpg of the map sent out from time to time and ask for someone to update the map on my behalf.

Of course if I'm home that won't be an issue, I just don't want to bog things down.

No worries. Dogmatix has the 95 Thesis to resolve and once that's done I'll deal the cards. At which point England has a limited diplomacy phase with the Haps and/or France. So its going to be a bit before the logfiles will start flying.

-Will

More
26 May 2010 14:25 #64421 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Re:Here I Stand
Dr_Mabuse wrote:

One possibility: If you have a USB thumb drive, VASSAL will happily run from that. Just install it normally onto your home PC, then copy the VASSAL directory and any modules you need to your USB drive.

Of course if your workplace doesn't let you attach thumb drives, all of that is moot.

More
26 May 2010 14:34 #64424 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re:Here I Stand
JoelCFC25 wrote:

Dr_Mabuse wrote:

One possibility: If you have a USB thumb drive, VASSAL will happily run from that. Just install it normally onto your home PC, then copy the VASSAL directory and any modules you need to your USB drive.

Of course if your workplace doesn't let you attach thumb drives, all of that is moot.

No shit? I'll give it a go tomorrow.

More
29 Oct 2017 22:40 - 29 Oct 2017 22:41 #256561 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Here I Stand
Bumping this. I just got my 500th anniversary upgrade kit in the mail. Forgot how nice and streamlined HIS is since I've been playing the monstrous Virgin Queen (slowly) PBEM.

I'd be interested to hear experiences with the new 500th anniversary edition. They rebalanced cards added a few rules, changed the French home card, and did some other things to liven up the game. Definitely consider getting this upgrade kit, it does a fair amount of stuff. Could break some pretty common patterns that HIS settles into if you play enough. Seems to make Italy more important, makes the French more active and less sit on their ass. Love to hear if any of you play it---I know some people here have played it 20+ times which I am super jealous of!
Last edit: 29 Oct 2017 22:41 by Gary Sax.

More
30 Oct 2017 00:35 #256563 by ratpfink
Replied by ratpfink on topic Re:Here I Stand
I got my upgrade kit this weekend too and just read through the changes. Wow! This should breathe some new life into this game. I think it was getting a little played out for us after somewhere around 40 plays. We'll definitely schedule a few games of this over the winter.

Looks like the "gamey" diplomacy stuff is gone but the new cards and some of the changes create new opportunities to make deals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Oct 2017 00:53 #256564 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Here I Stand
Mine is on the way, after an expired credit card delayed things.

HIS is still one of my favorite games, and I really like the look of the changes. Some of the weird backwaters (foreign war, fake minor power threats), etc seem to be ironed out.

The initial grumbling over on BGG seems like they feel France got too much boost. I haven't played under the new rules obviously, but it seems to me like France got shoved into the limelight instead of lurking in the shadows. There's an incentive for other people to go take French territory to keep those Home Card roll modifiers down, and an incentive for France to fight back and kick them out.

The new HC also can help France out with becoming card-poor, which was often an issue in games I was in. Scrolling back in this thread (nice seven-year gap) shows the genesis of the FAT PBEM group that played four or five games before breaking apart around the time VQ came out.

More
30 Oct 2017 13:27 #256594 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Here I Stand
*crawls out of cave*

Updated VASSAL should be available soon (days, not weeks). Just have to go through the cards and find other text changes beyond those I was already alerted to by Ed. My card manifest gizmo will get the same tweaks as I find them--new cards are already in it. Although predictably, nothing's ever good enough for gamers--I got asked to keep a separate one running for the previous version of the game. Guess some people just really have their noses out of joint that the game got updated.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds