October 09, 2023
2807 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2951 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

House Swap

More
12 Jul 2011 14:58 #99338 by Stephen Avery
House Swap was created by Stephen Avery
I love travelling but budget is always an issue so I've decided to try a house swap. I haven't registered with any of the the sites yet. I thought I might put it out there to my fellow F:ATties first. That way they could explore the Southern US and get hooked into some of the best ameritrash gaming anywhere.

Ideally I'd like to take my family to Europe for a month sometime next summer but I'm open to other locations too. If you're interested, chime in or PM me and we'll talk.

Steve"woulbe World Traveller"Avery

P.S. I'm open to stateside/shorter swaps too- I just want to see stuff on the cheap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2011 15:11 #99340 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: House Swap
The happy land of Kuwait awaits your pleasure with a luxury apartment full to the brim with games.

See the amazing land of Kuwait with side trips to Jordan (on cheap flights from here). See camels, eat traditional Indian takeaways and traditional KFC and Hardy's. Car thrown in with gas four times cheaper than USA. No visa required for US citizens.

It aint Europe but it sure aint the States either....
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveroswell

• Steve Weeks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jul 2011 15:22 #99345 by Steve Weeks
Replied by Steve Weeks on topic Re: House Swap
There are two regions in the USA that dominate gaming.

Atlanta: Barnes, Branham and company

Texas:

Dallas: BGG

Houston: Steve Weeks, Voice of Ameritrash

Austin: Chapel the Halfling

More
12 Jul 2011 16:51 #99350 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: House Swap

andyinkuwait wrote: The happy land of Kuwait awaits your pleasure with a luxury apartment full to the brim with games.

See the amazing land of Kuwait with side trips to Jordan (on cheap flights from here). See camels, eat traditional Indian takeaways and traditional KFC and Hardy's. Car thrown in with gas four times cheaper than USA. No visa required for US citizens.

It aint Europe but it sure aint the States either....

Let's not forget side trips to Dubai to see the coolest mall ever, with an indoor ski slope, and let's also remember the McArabia sandwich.

More
12 Jul 2011 17:17 #99351 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re: House Swap

andyinkuwait wrote: The happy land of Kuwait awaits your pleasure with a luxury apartment full to the brim with games.

Is it expensive as all hell to fly there? We'd totally come hang in the dessert!

And Steve, if you want to come to CT/NYC area, get at me!

More
12 Jul 2011 18:07 #99354 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: House Swap
I think it is pretty expensive. We just paid $1500 for my wife's daughter to fly from NYC to Kuwait but we did book it a bit late. On the other hand, it is via Istanbul so you could stop over in Turkey.

Dubai...yeah yeah yeah. Been there done that. Known as Bangkok of the Middle East around these parts... for reasons which you can guess yourselves. Real snow mall, nice gimmick but still a gimmick. Still, saw a good Philipino cover band there about 3 years ago doing pretty good soft rock (Lynyrd Sknyrd, Metallica, etc etc) propositioned by about 30 women during the evening...must be my aftershave...

Amusing story was that we took a naive youngish colleague there for a weekend. Went into a bar/disco at about 7pm for a beer. The place was packed with about 300 women and no men whatsoever. He started dancing for about an hour with three of them .... when he checked back with us he was so proud at having 'pulled' these beauties. We had to put him right lest his ego were to explode....

More
12 Jul 2011 21:40 #99364 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: House Swap
I'll be moving into a really cheap flatshare next month (rent: €170/month all inclusive! yay!), so no house swap for me, but I could be a tour guide in Koblenz. It's a nice enough town to stay while travelling down the Rhine valley, although pretty much everyone seems to prefer Bacharach for who knows what reason. I'm usually a couple of days in Munich each year (lived there 4 years ago), so that could be an option as well.

More
12 Jul 2011 22:12 #99368 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: House Swap
Does this include full access to Steve's library of novelty tank tops?

No, wait...Steve leaves WAY up in the north suburbs, OTP...it's like a wasteland of middle-class white people and TJ Applebee's up there.

More
13 Jul 2011 16:44 #99393 by Stephen Avery
Replied by Stephen Avery on topic Re: House Swap
It is TRUE. We all call each other Bob and sit around in our smoking jackets with our pipes. Everyones' wife serves meatloaf at precisely 6:30 and the kids file down from upstairs after their homework.

And now YOU TOO can be part of N. Atlanta Culture!!!

P.S. I think Kuwait will be a hard sell to the wife- though I would be up for the adventure. I'll start working on her.

Steve"going *somewhere* 2012"Avery

More
13 Jul 2011 21:03 #99419 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Re: House Swap

Steve Weeks wrote: There are two regions in the USA that dominate gaming.

Atlanta: Barnes, Branham and company

Texas:

Dallas: BGG

Houston: Steve Weeks, Voice of Ameritrash

Austin: Chapel the Halfling

I couldn't pass up the incredible lack of Maryland in your list here. Sadly I have nothing else to offer in this thread.

More
13 Jul 2011 23:48 #99429 by MattFantastic
MD really is stupid thick with serious gamers. Puts anywhere else I've been to shame.

More
14 Jul 2011 12:13 #99440 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Re: House Swap
We've been talking about house swapping and live in Europe. Denmark, though, so not the very exciting part.

Where is Steve and his tanktop collection located?

More
14 Jul 2011 14:05 #99446 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic Re: House Swap
I can't really offer a house, as I live no where near to anything. but anyone travelling to yellowstone/glacier/tetons is welcome to use us as a stopping point. we're about 6-10hours from those parks (depending on what side you want to explore) so a good night stop before getting there. also not far from badlands/rushmore/black hills/deadwood if someone wanted to work those into travel plans. no-where near close enough to use as a base to explore those areas(~2 hrs out) but as part of plans to see yellowstone its workable.

More
14 Jul 2011 14:31 #99451 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re: House Swap
I spoke to my wife about this briefly during lunch and to my surprise, she said she thought it sounded like a fun idea. She was interested in visiting Georgia (that's where you live, right, and not in a trailer park I assume?) We live in a fantastic tourist spot in the UK: Bath is one of the highlights of the tourist trail, and it's only 60 minutes from Oxford and 90 from London.

The catch is that we have an 18 month old, and a lot can change in a year at that age, so I think we'd be unwilling to commit to anything for a while. If you're still interested in 6-9 months time, get back in touch and I'll see where we are.

More
14 Jul 2011 14:38 #99452 by MattFantastic
Fatties tour the world! We are always up for visitors and summer swaps are a great possibility (oh being teachers, right Mr. Avery!). We live in New Haven which has some stuff of it's own, but is also about 75 mins outside of NYC by commuter train (quicker if you drive and hit no traffic).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds