October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What BOARD GAMES are you TRADING?

More
27 Mar 2017 20:25 #245676 by Michael Barnes
Just contact Fireside and get the replacement piece sent to the guy- I've done that before. If he bitches...too bad, you've made it right on your end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2017 22:48 #245679 by Cranberries

SuperflyTNT wrote: Wow, did I **** up.

I traded Elchfest for Castle Panic Wizard's Tower. Well, I was absolutely going to, but when I was looking in the box to ensure that the english rules were in there, I realized that my kids must've lost one of the six disks.

THEY HAD ONE JOB.

To make matters worse, I was out of town for a few days prior to this realization and I GOT HIS END. So, now I'm sitting on dude's game and I have a 5/6ths complete game to ship. I offered to 1) buy his game at current market price plus his shipping to me (25$) or 2) send him the incomplete game plus $17.00 so his game's cost is covered AND he gets the game, plus six replacement disks that I have lying around, which are the correct diameter but the incorrect height (which doesn't matter).

I'd call myself a **** but I lack the warmth and depth.

I had a trade set up for Gulo Gulo and realized an egg was missing, so I ended up sending him a gift certificate. Now I need to hand carve and paint a fake egg so I can sell the thing (with a disclaimer)

More
29 Mar 2017 09:35 #245750 by stoic

Unicron wrote:

stoic wrote: Out:
Specter Ops (FoD sucked it dry)
Homeland (Rather play BSG)

In:
TITAN (Valley Games edition)

Yeah! I finally got a copy of TITAN!

I was thinking back to when I traded this with you. I wondered if you enjoyed Titan. Incidently, I really enjoyed Specter Ops, but Homeland was pretty meh.

Hi Unicron,
Thanks again for the trade. I've only played TITAN once since we traded. I usually play it on the iPad, quite frequently. I do enjoy the game, but, I might see it differently than others. I see it as a fun game of random army building with the hope of obtaining a cool solider for your army. I also enjoy the dice rolling and combat on the different terrains. It does take too long, and, there's too much player downtime, but, I still like it. I find that it's best with 2-3 players, and, perhaps, 2 is best because of the shorter play times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Unicron

More
29 Mar 2017 14:26 #245766 by stormseeker75
Every so often I feel like I should play wargames so I go and buy a couple. This time I bought No Retreat and The Lamps are Going Out. Ultimately, I realize I'll never play anything more complex than Manoeuvre or Memoir 44 so they get sold/traded. This time I ended up with Brewcrafters and The Golden Ages with expansion. Hopefully these are good. I shouldn't have bought these in the first place, but at least I'm getting something I'll play at least once.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
01 Apr 2017 13:24 #245864 by rocketkiwi
I traded Code 777 for Wiz-War (FFG) because my Wiz-War box lid has a hole/tear in it and I wanted a new one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, engineer Al

More
11 Apr 2017 16:33 #246365 by southernman
UK April Math Trade is on, items to be added by this Saturday
boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/224002/uk-mat...de-april-2017/page/1 ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
13 Apr 2017 11:00 - 13 Apr 2017 11:00 #246466 by Sagrilarus

stormseeker75 wrote: Every so often I feel like I should play wargames so I go and buy a couple. This time I bought No Retreat and The Lamps are Going Out. Ultimately, I realize I'll never play anything more complex than Manoeuvre or Memoir 44 so they get sold/traded. This time I ended up with Brewcrafters and The Golden Ages with expansion. Hopefully these are good. I shouldn't have bought these in the first place, but at least I'm getting something I'll play at least once.

I'll be playing Warriors of God and Storm Over Stalingrad at the May Getaway in Delaware. Need opponents. Just sayin'.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2017 11:00 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
11 Jun 2017 00:57 #249721 by Cranberries

stormseeker75 wrote: Every so often I feel like I should play wargames so I go and buy a couple. This time I bought No Retreat and The Lamps are Going Out. Ultimately, I realize I'll never play anything more complex than Manoeuvre or Memoir 44 so they get sold/traded. This time I ended up with Brewcrafters and The Golden Ages with expansion. Hopefully these are good. I shouldn't have bought these in the first place, but at least I'm getting something I'll play at least once.

Charlest and Gary Sax are like the Michael Barnes of wargame pimping. I think I bought Eastern Front because of them and probably CFarrell, who also convinced me to buy a boat load of Wizard Kings. Anyway, I'm playing Manoeuvre right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, Frohike

More
12 Jun 2017 08:33 #249736 by Jackwraith
Traded Earth Reborn for Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War. I liked the concept of Earth Reborn, but it always seemed like it was in some murky territory between a dungeon crawler and a campaign game that makes a two-player problematic. So it sat on the shelf for years, overlooked in favor of straight 2-player wargames. I figured I'd trade it out for yet another straight 2-player wargame. Plus, I've been on a block game kick for a while, having acquired a couple more in recent weeks.

More
30 Aug 2017 00:50 #253375 by Jackwraith
And yet another 2-player wargame arrives. Traded Race for the Galaxy and all three expansions for Warriors of Japan. I liked RftG for a while, until it dawned on me that it was essentially multi-player solitaire. Unless we were using the clunky combat system, we basically didn't interact with each other except to commiserate on how bad our draws were. Even when we were using the combat system, it came up so rarely that it was largely superfluous. Since I only have one regular opponent these days, more 2-players seems to be the way to go.

More
30 Aug 2017 01:19 #253376 by Thrun
It takes a lot of time and effort to get good enough at RftG to realize you cant beat a competent opponent without every single thing you do being in terms of interpreting what your opponent can/cant do and will/wont do and might/might not do. Its really not MPS in the true sense of the word, but its extremely hard to get past that conception once you get into it. So I dont blame people for giving up on it, but I think you might have missed the real depth of the game
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
30 Aug 2017 02:47 #253377 by Jackwraith
Oh, I get the action strategy and what paths are left for your opponents aspect. I think it has some solid concepts in that respect. But if I want a game like that, then I'm going to play Ra, where you actually spend time involving everyone else at the table, rather than just staring at your own hand. I enjoyed it. I just think that it, like Pandemic and other kinds of "puzzle" games, just wore out its welcome. We have other games around, like Imhotep, which are also kind of "action denial" strategy games but which, again, feel like they have more player interaction than Race does.

More
30 Aug 2017 06:04 #253383 by Thrun
I wouldnt say Ive reached the point of getting the game, only having played a thousand times or so. Yeah its not directly interacting, but IMO its a lot more involved with reading opponents than Ra is. I have a very hard time understanding equating a true puzzle type game like Pandemic with expertly played Race, but thats just my opinion, hopefully you'll enjoy Warriors of Japan.

More
15 Nov 2017 10:20 - 05 Aug 2018 19:51 #257678 by Cranberries
For some reason I double posted, so let me share this snippet of a poem by Charles Simic:

CHARLES SIMIC OBSCURE BEGINNINGS

I was a winter fly on the ceiling
In the house of arachnids.
Silence reigned.
Queen Insomnia Sipped tea in the parlor,
Death and Judgment by her side.
The ceiling like a polar expedition.
The window like a theater of cruelty
With its view of the fields:
Sheep nibbling wild flowers,
And the sky beyond them, vast and empty.
Death notices posted in every room.
The old woman dressing a small child for slaughter
In a convent's school uniform.
The ceiling pale as the flowers.
The red parrot screaming in the parrot house.
Last edit: 05 Aug 2018 19:51 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
15 Nov 2017 10:52 #257681 by Cranberries
I'm trading some good games I'll never play for a handful of what I hope will become family classics. I basically want five games my family will play in my collection, Duel of Ages, Heroscape, and Fields of Fire.

Out:
Eastfront
Close Action
Incursion
Ars Victor

In (hopefully)
Downforce (they will play Daytona 500)
Trains: Rising Sun
Maybe Tigris and Euphrates (which I have only gotten one family member to play on the iPad)
Space Hulk Death Angel bundle
Maybe Nemo's War

Everything else I'm trading for is a fishing expedition so I can flip them for cash.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.751 seconds